Doh.. MS Access help please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I recently got a new laptop with Vista and MS Office 2007 pro. All new to me coming from XP and Office 2003.

I loaded my Access Data Base and get the following error mesage:

The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: The expression you entered has a function name that Ringway can't find.

*The expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined, or [Event Procedure].

When I open help I get the message below.

This error occurs when an event has failed to run because Microsoft Office Access cannot evaluate the location of the logic for this event.

For example, if the OnOpen property of a form is set to = [Field], this error occurs because Access expects a macro or event name to run when the event if fired.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, (I'm in a bit of a state with all the new software, OS ETC)

Many Thanks

Paul.

possible that the expression from office 2003 is not a feature in office XP 2007

best thing to do would be goto the code of the button and trace it, so can see what command is causing the issue

ive had to modify macro security level's before to get some older access to work in new access

Last edited:
Thanks JP.

OK here goes. I tried to keep the original post brief, but on XP I did used to get a message "This file may not be safe if it contains code intended to harm your computer, do you want to open this file or cancel the operation"?

That message was the first thing to show at opening the dbase and I would choose "open" and all would be fine apart from the occasional bug here and there. The dbase is 10 years old.

I'll see if I can find the code of the button although I'm no expert at this sort of thing.

Many Thanks

Paul.

Having migrated from 2003 to 2007 not so long ago myself (although still on XP I hasten to add), Word and XL always offer to save an opened 2003 document in the new 2007 format. This changes the file extension from .doc to .docx or from .xls to xlsx respectively. The warning states that the upgrade may affect some features, although it has never had an adverse effect on anything I have migrated.

Does Access offer the same options on save or saveas? If so, this may help to eliminate the issue??

Thanks Keith.

I have not really been able to use Access since the transfer although I can open it in the pane on the left hand side. The trouble is that although I can view the records I can't raise an invoice or purchase order etc.

The word files seem to have transferred seemlessly though.

Cheers

Paul.

Thanks.

I think I may well have to delete the database and reinstall from my copy on my external drive to see if that will cure the problem.

Does anyone have an idea how I can delete the database from the C drive? I am struggling to find my way around the new office 2007 and vista programs. :eek:

Theres a lot of issues surrounding macros in 2003 that wont run in 2007, I think it is due to security levels. Some of my Access stuff in 2003 wont run in 2007 and I've never really bottomed it yet fortunately I still have a machine running 2003 so just use that. As for Vista biggest waste of space and resources there is rolled all our machines back to XP Pro SP3, might consider Windows 7 when i have had chance to have agood look at it

Thanks Ian.

I deliberately avoided Vista for as long as I could so the problems would be resolved by the time I started to use it, but it came pre-installed on my new laptop.

I'll try and remove from the C drive and hopefully can get back on track.

Thanks for that Tim.

I may have to bring in a pro to sort things out. I have several issues with the switchover of XP and Office 2003 to Vista and Office 2007.

Regards

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom