doh! new wheels don't fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIG_G_1979

Car
E280 CDI SPORT
Hi guys bought a lovely set if 19" rotaforms for my Eclass I bought them second hand and they're 5/112 et45 - they fit the rear hub no problems but not the fronts due to the drive axle protruding so much! Could I buff the hole diameter so that they would slide over? Bloody raging

Don't know which model E class you have G, but assuming a W211.
If that is the case your problem is the ET for the front wheels is wrong. The ET should be between 30 and 35, meaning your wheels are at least 10mm closer to the hub than they should be.
Am I close to the problem or have I misunderstood what is going on?

Hi yes w211 e280 cdi -oem sport wheels on from factory are et38 if only the front axle stub was shorter it would be a problem. The wheels centre bore is big enough at the rear or wheel but too small near face of wheel gutted!

Knock the caps out so that it can poke through? - May not look pretty, but it solves the problem.

How much space do you need; would a hubcentric spacer work, or would that mean the tyre starts fouling the wheel arch?

The hub diameter should be the same front and rear. Wheel manufacturers don't make different sized centre bores for a set of wheels. The centre bore for all four wheels should be 66.5mm.

Have you got a link to the wheels you bought?

I have pictures of issue but forum keeps saying I've reached my limit for pictures? Can anyone help me fix this can mods delete all my past pictures

I have pictures of issue but forum keeps saying I've reached my limit for pictures? Can anyone help me fix this can mods delete all my past pictures

Upload the photos to an online host like Flickr or Photobucket and post a link.

It seems that the lip which the centre cap clips onto is the issue yes I will upload to photobucket

Have you looked closely at the wheel, it might have a hub adapter fitted that reduces the bore size.

Have you looked closely at the wheel, it might have a hub adapter fitted that reduces the bore size.

Hi yes they had orange plastic rings fitted which I removed to fit on hub and fit great on rear but not on front due to the drive shift stub

I know all about this as i have the exact same issue!! Im running 19x9.5j alround with a et45 my w211 is fitted with 15mm spacer's because of this.

I hate the way the wheels at the front protrude so i'm trying some 10mm spacer's on the front tomorrow, if this works im going to do the same on the rear. I feel your pain my car is fitted with 235/35/19s which are stretched and in my mind dangerous so i want to get it sorted.

I reckon with a 10mm spacer instead of 15 there will "just" be enough to fit the centre caps, fingers crossed. ;)

From those photos its clear to see the recess inside the wheel isn't deep enough.

If you measure the depth of the recess, then the length of the stub poking out past the hub face you'll see how much the wheel needs to move out to enable fitment.

Sadly, unless you can use a hubcentric spacer and not foul the wheelarch, those wheels aren't suitable. Also, if you use a spacer, you'll need longer wheel bolts.

The hub diameter should be the same front and rear. Wheel manufacturers don't make different sized centre bores for a set of wheels. The centre bore for all four wheels should be 66.5mm.

Have you got a link to the wheels you bought?

66.6 Roger!lol

I feel your pain my car is fitted with 235/35/19s which are stretched and in my mind dangerous so i want to get it sorted

A pair of 245x35x19's for Mr Smith. Quick as you like:D

A pair of 245x35x19's for Mr Smith. Quick as you like:D

yes those too, and i've been calculating the rolling circumference too as i dont want a esp light on etc like a friend of mine had.

so as you have said 245/35/19 on the front and 265/30/19 on the rear should be within tolerance, if a 10mm spacer does the back which i think it will a 275/30/19 may also fit.

I just need to see if these 10mm spacer's will do the front.:doh:

I have resided to the fact I've made a major balls up and believe me gutted I'd an understatement - after I calm down I will try and sell on hopefully not at a loss. Is the root cause the Et then? If I were to buy another set Di I need to make sure they're et38/39? Although after today I can't see me looking at wheels for a while I think they would have look real nice too I photoshoped what I was aiming for

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums...s/received_10211264070617368_zpshw8s0uuy.jpeg

I have resided to the fact I've made a major balls up and believe me gutted I'd an understatement - after I calm down I will try and sell on hopefully not at a loss. Is the root cause the Et then? If I were to buy another set Di I need to make sure they're et38/39? Although after today I can't see me looking at wheels for a while I think they would have look real nice too I photoshoped what I was aiming for

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums...s/received_10211264070617368_zpshw8s0uuy.jpeg

A 15mm spacer WILL fit your wheel's to the car fine, but anymore than a 235/245 tyre size will make them look as if they are sticking out too far from the arch.

My current spacers are hub centric on the rear, THATS a must, and the fronts are 66.6 bore/with the use of a spigot ring on the front as the centre bore of the wheel is i think 73mm ish

I know all about this as i have the exact same issue!! Im running 19x9.5j alround with a et45 my w211 is fitted with 15mm spacer's because of this.

I hate the way the wheels at the front protrude so i'm trying some 10mm spacer's on the front tomorrow, if this works im going to do the same on the rear. I feel your pain my car is fitted with 235/35/19s which are stretched and in my mind dangerous so i want to get it sorted.

I reckon with a 10mm spacer instead of 15 there will "just" be enough to fit the centre caps, fingers crossed. ;)

How much are spacers and longer wheel bolts? Is it safe etc? Any links and please let me know if 10 mm spacer would sort my issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom