Doh - upgraded W203 sport pack brakes spare wheel question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A-AvantGarde

MB Enthusiast
Car
2015 911 Turbo S, 2019 Volvo XC90 T5 Polestar Optimised
I've upgraded the brakes on my W203 to the sport pack ones. They're just over 13" in diameter and need 17" wheels to clear the calipers.

On the way into work I saw a W203 with 16" wheels, that made me think - I remembered that my spare is a steel 16" rim :eek:

I'm running 18" AMG new Styling III's with a staggered setup so going for the same wheel as the spare isn't really an option, besides I don't believe the spare wheel well is deep enough either?

Any ideas if I can get a 17" steel or what spare wheel is recommended for this setup?

Any thoughts ???

Cheers

Not sure if this is useful, but my car was an import from Germany, and it had no spare just a gas bottle which pumped up the tyre and 'fixed' it.
The dealer had to order a spare wheel and cage etc.
Only a though.

Not sure if this is useful, but my car was an import from Germany, and it had no spare just a gas bottle which pumped up the tyre and 'fixed' it.
The dealer had to order a spare wheel and cage etc.
Only a though.

Cheers, but I'm keen to retain a spare. Had too many (two) blowouts in different cars to make me paranoid about needing a proper spare. Have tried using stuff like Tyre Weld in the past but wasn't impressed.

Also prefer not to have a space saver as I don't wish to be restricted to 50mph. Although I would consider it.

Cheers, but I'm keen to retain a spare. Had too many (two) blowouts in different cars to make me paranoid about needing a proper spare. Have tried using stuff like Tyre Weld in the past but wasn't impressed.

Also prefer not to have a space saver as I don't wish to be restricted to 50mph. Although I would consider it.
All the part numbers you need are in the thread I posted a link to. You are probably limited to a tyre width of 225 in the spare wheel well but at the same time you would probably struggle to fit a wheel with tyre wider than 225 onto the front axle anyway. As long as the wheel itself is no wider than 8.5 inches then it should be fine.

It is likely that you will not be able to use a space saver due to the brakes.

Mine has a space saver -- not sure a full sized 17" 225/45 would fit in the space under the cover in the boot.... if it would i wouldperfer a full size...but thats extra weight = less mpg,,(right..:D )

Just read SHude's post and link -- would need a new shell etc...

Last edited:
My spare is a 16 steel wheel -can I run that with three 17s?

As crockers.. Mine has a space saver wheel.

SPARE WHEEL3.5B X 17 H2 ET 17 A2094000302 £80

Not sure what tyre it takes but cant be expensive!​

My spare is a 16 steel wheel -can I run that with three 17s?

As you don't have the Sports pack brakes it should be ok to get you to the tyre shop. Handling could be interesting though :)

i had a 17" spacesaver with my W203 with sports pack

Id prob say to upgrade to the 17" spacesaver TBH

All the part numbers you need are in the thread I posted a link to. You are probably limited to a tyre width of 225 in the spare wheel well but at the same time you would probably struggle to fit a wheel with tyre wider than 225 onto the front axle anyway. As long as the wheel itself is no wider than 8.5 inches then it should be fine.

It is likely that you will not be able to use a space saver due to the brakes.

I think that the Sport Edition models with the sport pack brakes come with space savers (the one's that look a bit like alloys?), so should be okay.

My fronts are 7.5J 18 with 225/40's, I'm toying with the idea of going for a 17" Adharaz and having it refinished in Black as a single spare.

Will probably keep an eye out on ebay for either of these.

I think that the Sport Edition models with the sport pack brakes come with space savers (the one's that look a bit like alloys?), so should be okay.

My fronts are 7.5J 18 with 225/40's, I'm toying with the idea of going for a 17" Adharaz and having it refinished in Black as a single spare.

Will probably keep an eye out on ebay for either of these.
There are some space savers that look like alloys, they are probably just really thin alloys :) .

A proper spare wheel would mean that you could continue your journey with some confidence and be able to drive at 70mph on the motorway without too much worry. Buying a kerbed wheel off ebay and then having it re-finished as a spare seems like a fairly cheap way to sort out your problem.

I have seen people driving at pretty high speeds on a space saver and that just seems dangerous to me!

Saw a guy in the states take off with a space saver on the front (fwd)...the one black line went on and on and on and on and on..:D

As crockers.. Mine has a space saver wheel.

SPARE WHEEL3.5B X 17 H2 ET 17 A2094000302 £80

Not sure what tyre it takes but cant be expensive!​

Any idea on the size of tyre you have on this?

Many thanks...

Just done some google searches and looks like I can buy a space saver tyre for about £50, seems fairly reasonable.

Although I'd much rather avoid it, I'm thinking it may be the right OEM thing to do. May be a silly question, any ideas if these fit in the same way as a normal tyre - any thoughts on tyre pressures for space savers - I think they may be different?

Will have a look to see if I can find an Adharaz in 17" with the right profile tyre to maintain the rolling radius. Thanks to all for your advice :)

Just done some google searches and looks like I can buy a space saver tyre for about £50, seems fairly reasonable.

Although I'd much rather avoid it, I'm thinking it may be the right OEM thing to do. May be a silly question, any ideas if these fit in the same way as a normal tyre - any thoughts on tyre pressures for space savers - I think they may be different?

Will have a look to see if I can find an Adharaz in 17" with the right profile tyre to maintain the rolling radius. Thanks to all for your advice :)

The Continental tyre on mine says to inflate to 60psi

What I haven't checked is whether the wheel bolts are the same? I seem to recall Terry Wogan's limo being stranded 'cos it didn't have the correct bolts to attach the spare!

Why not just buy a proper wheel and tyre? Might cost you a few pounds more but it will be almost like having a normal wheel/tyre on the car so no special driving and no 50mph limit.

The only real benefit of having a space saver is that you are forced to get the "real" wheel/tyre repaired sooner because your car looks stupid and drives poorly with it on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom