Domain Names - Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wully

Car
2002 W203 C220 CDI Avantgarde SE Auto
Guys
I've just started with a small company who are still in the dark ages when it comes to the IT side of the business and i need advice.

The previous company I worked for was a national PLC who had a IT contractor division in house so in the past I've been used to having the latest of kit!

Basically I'm in the process of installing a CAT 5 network (I'm the electrical manager so no probs in terms of the network cabling) around the office and have started looking at broadband providers.

At this point I'm tempted with Zen's 8000 Active package however what I would really like is for a domain name to be used rather than the ISP's for emails and possibly a basic website. The package from Zen contains web space however one thing at a time at this stage!

What I am trying to find out is how email forwarding works, correct me if I am wrong but basically if someone sends an email to [email protected] this is forwarded to the Zen mailbox, am I right? The thing that confuses me is the sending of emails, if I send an email out what shows on the recipients mailbox, is it the mysite.com address or the Zen address? If it's the Zen are there providers that can provide the "mask" of the mysite.com domain name?

Cheers

I am with Zen & have been for years. They aare very good. My advise would be to register a company domain name now thru Zen & they will sort out the forwarding - all you need then is an email server product - or exchange that will accept all emails to anyone@ mydomain.com and then forward them internally to [email protected], jim etc. we did that before we got onto an exchange server & it worked well - we used mailgate software. You can also viw all emails received using Zens Webmail interface as a backup.

HTH

Wully - no matter who your ISP or email provider or domain name company is you can set ALL details to come up as you wish

eg the domain name points to whatever site you want
the email can be set to 'come' from whatever you wish
also can be 'replied to ' whatever you wish and different to where it 'came' from

Its all in personalising the settings or control panel of the domain name or email program etc.

HTH

Get SBS 2003 - file server, mail server + others all in one......

Still not getting it guys.

Basically with the Zen package i will get 11 pop3 mailboxes that end in [email protected]. Now if i purchase a domain lets call it me.com what do i need, is a package that provides email forwarding?

If this is the case i assume that if someone emails say [email protected] it will get forwarded to [email protected]. Now if i send an email it will obviously be sent from the [email protected] address, the question is what will be shown on the other recipients email? Is there a way to "mask" this as [email protected]? I know that for replying to my emails i can set up a reply address in outlook.

Am i way off with this?

Zen will enable email forwarding from a domain name you have leased. So if your domain is mychoice.com then Zen will forward mail addressed to [email protected] to a@actualdomainname

Depending on how you handle your emails within the company (using your mail server or just your email programs) you can configure your outgoing emails so it appears that they originate from a@mychoice,com even though in reality they are from a@actualdomainname.

If you want to test how this looks just edit your own home email client so the return address is something different from normal (try mickeymouse@) and send yourself an email (remember to change things back afterwards).

Hi there, you have two real options...

1. register the domain name with someone like http://uk2.net and they will provide the DNS services, email forwarding and web diversion - additional packages also available.

For this first option, which is the cheapest and easiest to modify - you need to have say a hotmail or any other email account, you can also get a free account with them them anyway.

This is what happens:

You register a domain name, eg, WULLEY.COM
Then you register an email address, eg, [email protected] (could be a hotmail account or any other email account)

You can configure the domain webmail forwarding to send all emails sent to *@WULLEY.COM to [email protected]

Additional filtering can be set up to divert, email sent to certain email address to be forwarded elsewhere, eg:

[email protected] ---> [email protected]
[email protected] ---> [email protected]
[email protected] --> [email protected]

Similarly, your website diversion can also be setup in a similar fashion.

2. Second uption is to buy and spend lots of money of setting up your own Small Business Server edition software providing all the above functionality but inhouse - you will need more in depth technical expertise to do that or a large wad in your pocket... always willing to oblige... :D

Hope this helps...

rgds
Was!

like I said

eg the domain name points to whatever site you want
the email can be set to 'come' from whatever you wish
also can be 'replied to ' whatever you wish and different to where it 'came' from

why dont you phone Zen . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom