domestic cleaners, how much, how long?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
We employ what i consider to be the worlds slowest cleaner. Reliable, good cleaners are few and far between around here, so i must 'put up' with it, according to swmbo.

so to clean 2 main rooms, living plus kitchen diner, plus hallway x 2, small bathroom, shouldnt take 4 hours, twice a week, 8 in total. Rooms are 20' x 20'. Floor is all tiles except the living which is deep pile carpet. Fairly 'cluttered' style.

example, i watched said cleaner look at the fruit bowl, on one side of the room, slowly pick out a slightly mouldy pear, drop it in the composting bin, then saunter, really saunter, aound the room to the bin with a tiny bit of plastic. Then saunter back.....

20 minutes to clean the ceramic sink?

stops for tea. Fair enough. Fills kettle, then stands there looking at it whilst it boils. Arrgh.

hoovers section of room with big end of hoover. Stops, takes end off, hoovers corners. Replaces end, hoovers next bit (6' square at a time), takes end off..... nooooo, hoover the whole room, then the corners (or the other way round) not stop to remkve the end 20 bloody times.

each one of these things is tiny, but its doing my nut.

or am i a loon?

Hmm ......... your paying some one to clean your house whilst you stand there criticizing how they are cleaning it ?

Seriously...........

I can mop the floor in 20 mins i reckon. But if i had time to do it myself i wouldnt pay someone to do it....

Our weekly cleaner cover the same grounds in about 3 hours. Her agency charges £10 an hour.

3 hours a week? We pay 10 per hour too. Direct, cash. Oh, and they claim dla too (gammy leg)

No, im not standing there, im doing things, sometimes on the computer sometimes in and out of the door etc! That would be creepy, just gawping at someone cleaning.

Get rid of the cleaner and spend the cash on a scrubber - she'll give you a good polish :thumb:.

3 hours a week? We pay 10 per hour too. Direct, cash. Oh, and they claim dla too (gammy leg)

No, im not standing there, im doing things, sometimes on the computer sometimes in and out of the door etc! That would be creepy, just gawping at someone cleaning.

You have your answer.

It all depends how thorough the clean is in my opinion. There is a huge difference in a quick vacuum and a full thorough clean.

My late father, who died at 101, was an ardent believer in Quentin Crisp's maxim that there is no need to do any housework at all.

After the first four years, the dirt doesn't get any worse.

That's 346.66pcm! a new car for a bit of housework??

Ive been to mine about 10 years now, i will let you know total cost when we get divorced lol,

Whoops only read the Title thread :):)

I think it is the duty of those of us who have disposable income to use local domestic assistance as much as possible, be it cleaner, gardener, driver, even IT support etc.

It provides employment to others and helps spread the wealth.

It's not much good to the rest of us if high earners hoard their cash and then spend it on expensive holidays abroad instead of putting it back into the local economy.

An essential part of the "domestic help" equation is whether you trust said person to be in your home with access to valuables, computers and confidential papers etc. Altho not quantifiable its an essential quality I would actually place ahead of productivity.

An essential part of the "domestic help" equation is whether you trust said person to be in your home with access to valuables, computers and confidential papers etc. Altho not quantifiable its an essential quality I would actually place ahead of productivity.

Not to mention children, or pets, if you have any....

I think it is the duty of those of us who have disposable income to use local domestic assistance as much as possible, be it cleaner, gardener, driver, even IT support etc.

It provides employment to others and helps spread the wealth.

It's not much good to the rest of us if high earners hoard their cash and then spend it on expensive holidays abroad instead of putting it back into the local economy.

The filter down method of providing food to the serfs?

Well, the alternative would be explaining to the sacked workers that while being in the employment of a wealthy person they were unhappy only they did not know it, and now that they are unemployed they are happy, just unaware of it....

The nightmare of having slacker servants...

Substitute the word 'employee' for servants & see if it still sounds OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom