Domestic discord -again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tron

Car
S203 220CDI.
The s202 has now had much of the suspension replaced as well as the front brakes. it still rattles and clonks over every bump though they are slowly beginning to decrease.
Madam, however is not at all happy about the amount of time and cleaning up that working upon it entails and there is a lot still to do.
She would like me to "Buy something half decent", which to me suggests a 220 CDI estate; specifically a facelift model 2011 to 2013.
I have seen one in the Mercedes approved used network for about £10,500.
It will be quieter, quicker and more modern than what I have but I am not keen
on plastic seats, nor 18" wheels on rubber band tyres although neither is compulsory. What is to like about the W204? Is the quality up to scratch or is it a car sold on its badge?

W204 doesn't have to have 18s. Artex is actually comfy and hard wearing.

Atrico is more practical than cloth/fabric in my view, but you'll stuggle to find a C-Class with real leather.

As for '18-inch wheels', I take your point... most W204 cars seems to be of the 'Sport' or 'AMG-Line' variety, with lowered/stiffened suspension, 17" wheels and side-skirts.

I actually had to look for a softly-sprung Executive SE with 16" wheels for some time before finally bagging one :thumb:

I have an S204 C220 with real leather, it came on 16's but I changed them to 17's and it's lovely - and has full seal of approval from SWMBO, both as passenger and driver. It's pre-facelift (2008) and Elegance trim, intend to keep it for many years more, it's much nicer than the 2001 C270 Elegance that it replaced. Currently just short of 92k miles, bought as second owner at about 50k miles, and has cost little other than routine maintenance.

The W204 was generally agreed to be a step forward in quality compared to its W203 South African built predecessor [ German built W203 estates excepted] The interior markedly improved with the facelift model. Its achilles heel was the new OM651 diesel engine which initially had major problems with its new piezo injectors ---subsequently replaced by the solenoid type easily identified by their fuel return pipes. Other common problems are the rear mounted single timing chain, variable output water pump and watercooled EGR leaks. I also recall some problems with the rear light cluster wiring but nothing much else comes to mind other than a very limited choice of petrol engined variants post facelift in the UK market. :dk:

Thanks. OM651 is an engine with which I am not familiar. Would a 2011 motor have the later injectors and the timing chain issues sound worth investigating further. Is it a change at x miles issue or a could blow up any time problem?
The car looks nice but if I am to spend that much, I shall need to weigh it up very carefully.

AFAIK solenoid injectors were fitted from 2012 onwards -from factory. And there was an MB dealer retrofit for existing cars back to around the facelift. The precise date escapes me but as I say a quick inspection of the injectors [ presence or absence of fuel return pipes will confirm] The C200 single turbo OM651 engine always had solenoid injectors it was only the more powerfull C220 and C250 twin turbo models that originally came with the dodgy piezo type injectors. Do search for piezo injectors on the forum as ther were lots of posts at the time.
Mercedes fixes diesel injector problems | Cars UK

Timing chain problems basically are mileage and use related. Cars that have had the nuts revved off them or suffered poor oil changes will be the first to suffer problems but difficult to put a firm figure on it. I would look closely at anything over 70K miles as a rough rule of thumb but could be earlier or later.

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/224198-om651-timing-chain-replacement.html

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/gen...earing-worrying-things-250-diesel-engine.html

Hi,

I bought a used 06 220CDI with 66k on it, have owned it 3 years and now have 96k - still drives great and I luv the look, front end is particularly classy. But, I will never buy a cloth interior car again !

AFAIK solenoid injectors were fitted from 2012 onwards -from factory. And there was an MB dealer retrofit for existing cars back to around the facelift. The precise date escapes me but as I say a quick inspection of the injectors [ presence or absence of fuel return pipes will confirm] The C200 single turbo OM651 engine always had solenoid injectors it was only the more powerfull C220 and C250 twin turbo models that originally came with the dodgy piezo type injectors. Do search for piezo injectors on the forum as ther were lots of posts at the time.
Mercedes fixes diesel injector problems | Cars UK

Timing chain problems basically are mileage and use related. Cars that have had the nuts revved off them or suffered poor oil changes will be the first to suffer problems but difficult to put a firm figure on it. I would look closely at anything over 70K miles as a rough rule of thumb but could be earlier or later.

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/224198-om651-timing-chain-replacement.html

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/182324-hearing-worrying-things-250-diesel-engine.html

I had a South African made W203, sold to a forum member earlier this year and it is still going strong at 11 years old. It was very very reliable, no rattles, no rust, etc.

I think the quality issues at the East London plant were resolved by around 2003. Based on my own experience I would not hesitate buying another South African made Mercedes.

My current W204 was made in Sindelfingen, it seems well-built but I only had it for a few months so it's too early to comment on reliability.

What I can say is that the W204 facelift cabin and instrument cluster are way better than the mundane (albeit efficient) W203 facelift.

Here's what to look for -the leak off fuel lines from the solenoid injectors ---the narrow black piping with the blue writing on it. [ centre picture] If these aren't present you have the piezo type injectors.
RrHWYUE.jpg

I have a '58 plate C220cdi Elegance estate. If you search my previous posts you will find a note about the steering lock failing which cost £1k to put right. Engine still sounds like a London Taxi imho but now on 97k miles and still going strong. Mine has leather, parktronic f&b, Linguatronic, Command, 16" wheels and sensible tyres. It does a job.

I have a '58 plate C220cdi Elegance estate. If you search my previous posts you will find a note about the steering lock failing which cost £1k to put right. Engine still sounds like a London Taxi imho but now on 97k miles and still going strong. Mine has leather, parktronic f&b, Linguatronic, Command, 16" wheels and sensible tyres. It does a job.

This sounds like a particularly loveless marriage.

tron,

My daily thrash is a '98 C250 TD with 214K on the clock & rust on every panel except the roof. Despite all that I really like the car & am on the lookout for a decent replacement.

If you decide to get rid of yours please PM me with the SP.

Ta!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom