Domestic hydro electric power generation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

Does anyone know where I should start in seeing if this is feasible for our property.

We have a fast flowing stream in our garden, and I would like to explore the possibility of trying to harness some of it's power to heat / light our house, or sell back to the grid.

I've searched tinterweb with no joy as far as domestic goes, I favour a proper old fashioned water wheel, with the water falling on top of it and forcing it down that way.

Any experience, ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Visited earlier this year the water mill at Hawes which they had restored to working order. They made a point of explaining to us the Water Company had insisted on a water abstraction license to operate it depite the fact that it had been there for centuries and it used the river water then returned it intact further downstream. You cannot fart nowadays without some Department wanting their cut :mad::wallbash:.

Yaaaarp.

Navitron forum is a good start. How can i help? Pm me.

First things first, whats the drop from end to end of your property? Measure, dont estimate. Similarly, whats the flow in cubic metres per minute? Does the water feed anyone else, ie will affecting it on your land affect anyone else? Can it be seen?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom