Domestic LED light bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
A while ago I bought 5 LED bulbs. So far 2 have failed and I have problems with flickering (despite changing the dimmer switch to one allegedly suitable for LED bulbs). They might be energy efficient but they are definitely not cost effective. I now have to change 4 spotlights - they were 80W PAR38 halogens which are now banned by the EU. Can anyone recommend reliable LEDs to replace these? It seems to me most, if not all, LEDs are produced in China.

I don't buy certain amazon/ebay cheapy LED's for exactly this reason. Made in China does not mean made to a low standard, there are very high and very low quality (dangerous) near-identical products made there.

Most of our domestic LEDs are from Screwfix etc.

There is a wide selection of reputable brands here:

LED Par38

Yes , the LEDs are supposed to be dimmable.

Same as moodi, all mine have come from screwfix and we have had no problems.

I bought a bucket load of halogens before they banned them, to go with the box of incandescents I bought before they banned those...

Cheers,

Gaz

I bought a few unbranded ebay/Amazon LEDs and they failed after a while and had bad 50Hz flicker.
Stick with branded/good quality bulbs capable of dimming paired with a suitable dimmer and you wont be disappointed.
I have a few bulbs from here that work well Save Money with LED Lighting Solutions from LED Hut

I've bought loads of LED bulbs for the house, the cheaper, usually unbranded ones never seem to last long.
I now stick to names I've heard of and steer clear of the bargain basement ones on ebay etc.
Costco however sell really cheap LED's which seem to be OK.

Most of our domestic LEDs are from Screwfix etc.

Mine came from Toolstation. If one failed early on I would return it for a replacement and I don't believe that would be a problem.

It's not just about reliability. What you generally get with branded LED's is a decent colour rendering index which makes them look better.

I have a house full of Tesco LED bulbs. Good colour and so far none have failed, the only niggle I have is they don't seem to to them with SBC fitting.

My Spark insisted on fitting some new type of bulbs last year.

Chroma something maybe? Or possibly Dichotic somebody or anothers?

Anyway, meant to last forever and dimmable, bright too.

Well I have a lot of small spot lights,and I buy on ebay I buy mini sun LED 5w GU10 normally around 20 at a time,they work out at about £1.40 each,they have a 2500 hr life and I cannot fault them.

I’ve found that a surprising number of LED bulbs described as dimmable, are in fact not dimmable, even those from big names. I find that LED spotlights (eg GU10) are much better than LED “traditional” bulbs (eg bayonet), both for reliability a dimmer compatibility.

It’s a bit of a pain because all of our light switches are dimmable, except one. I had to fit a wireless relay and wireless switch for a chandelier we really liked, but the integrated LEDs didn’t like being connected to a dimmer.

I now great big box of undimmable dimmable bulbs. Coincidentally, today I gathered them together from various cupboards and shelves all over the house, sorted through them, disposed of some, and kept the best in a new big box. Started spring cleaning early!

Last edited:
Courtesy of stocking up before bans, plus changing many bulbs to LED's, I now have 3 12 bottle wooden wine cases full of GU10 halogens, GU10, BC and ES CFL's, SES reflectors and sundry others, what to do with them as they are all working, quite a few are never used! Have just changed outside bulkhead fittings from 21W CFL to LED corn bulbs, the 20W white LED's are not as bright, needed 30W warm white LEd to give slightly more than the 21W CFL. Those I'll keep expecting the LED's to fail! Also tempted to change the GU10's in the kitchen (8 of them) back to CFL, OK they take a while to come on but give a better spread of light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom