Domestic Lighting Query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
Can a single gang light switch have two live feeds connected, so two separately fed lights can be switched as one?

Scenario - A run of under-cupboard lights down one wall, light switch is on the opposite wall. New run of lights to be fitted on the same wall as the switch. Connecting new lights to existing junction box on the opposite wall difficult but there is power easily accessible close to the light switch.

Proposition - New lights connected to local power and switching wire connected to same switch as existing lights

Hi

I assume you are talking about one live feed serving a switch with two seperate switched lives?

In this case, no problem so long as the switch is rated above the total load on the two circuits. Which I'm sure it will be.

Actually, no. I was thinking of two separate live feeds and two separate switched lives, the switch being common to both circuits?

I see. If both lives were fed from the same fuse/breaker then there wouldn't be a problem. Seperate fuses/breakers would be a no no as you would be combining their outputs and reducing their effectiveness re circuit protection.

Why not just use one live?

They would be from the same fuse/breaker.

The switch is across the room from the original lights and their supply and to get a cable back across to the new lights would mean considerable upheaval, lifting carpets, floorboards etc..

So I thought take the live for the new lights from a supply on the same side of the room as the switch ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom