Domestic Water Softener

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Guys/gals
Just wondered what your views/advice was about a water softener for the home.
I live in a pretty hard water area and have been considering one of these for a while. My colleague recommends the Kinetico range and suggested the Aquablu (Kinetico Aquablu water softeners | Water Softeners | Loveyourwater), although there are many models on the market, what the best/most efficient?
They are quite a costly gadget, but many now consider them as essential. I am well aware of their advantages, but would like a little advice on which make to go for. Having done some research, I think I would like a twin tank, non-electric model as they seem better on salt and can provide a continuous supply of softened water. I live in a one bathroom house, with just me and the fairer half, so water consumption is not excessive. I also have a DI resin vessel for washing the car-will the resin last much longer if I run this off the softened water too? TIA

I have a Kinetico......its fine.

Mic

We had one fitted when we had the extension done, it's great. It costs about £ 60.00 a year for salt. Ebay for the best price.

Can you run softened water in sealed central heating system?

I'm considering a softener at the moment, and the inevitable downside of loss of water pressure issue aside, thought the main benefit would be soft water and therefore reduced scaling in the HW pipes and in particular the CH radiator circuit.

My thinking was to just keep drinking water unsoftened but soften everything else

I believe Kinetico do both High Flow (HF) and Low Flow (LF) versions of any of their products.
I think, there are local authority Water Bylaws stating that there should be an 'unsoftened' water tap for drinking water - but yes, everything else should be softened to get proper benefit.
I'm sure there are many experts here that will be able to provide more information re laws etc.

I have a Harvey's softener fitted last yeah and it's been great. Only a single bathroom and living by myself so very low cost for salt for the last year.

I use Kinetico. 15 years now and it's never required any service.
All I buy is salt.
Highly recommend it.

Thanks guys. Kinetico it is then. Some say the kitchen tap should be unsoftened however I don't believe it's a bylaw. Softened water should not be used for making babies' bottle or be drunk by people who require a low sodium diet, however I believe it tastes a little different but is safe to drink. I think I will soften all of my water except the rear outside tap that I use for the garden. I have a second outside tap on my driveway for car washing which will be softened. Please tell me if this is wrong before I start plumbing!!

I have a NuWave MD260 - works ok here in a 4 person house.

I have a twinTec mega twin system, before that about 15 years with a kinetico - couldn't do without it, water is like silk.

Our unit bypasses the sink tap so it's not softened - originally it wasn't and we had a secondary drinking water tap but that got removed when the kitchen was refitted.

Harveys - Twintec.

Designed and built by the guys who started Kinetico im told. Its great, just block salt to add.

Thanks guys. Kinetico it is then. Some say the kitchen tap should be unsoftened however I don't believe it's a bylaw. Softened water should not be used for making babies' bottle or be drunk by people who require a low sodium diet, however I believe it tastes a little different but is safe to drink. I think I will soften all of my water except the rear outside tap that I use for the garden. I have a second outside tap on my driveway for car washing which will be softened. Please tell me if this is wrong before I start plumbing!!

Probably wise not to drink softened water at all. Any increase in the sodium level of what you drink can be seriously bad for you, not just kids or the sick. Doesn't harm occasionally, or as a one off, but cumulatively in your drink and diet is a seriously bad idea. Aside from the increased sodium level in the water, you're also drinking water from a vessel where there's likely to be biofilm growing in and on the resin. These harbour bacteria, so in theory, you'd be perculating fresh clean water through dirty resin. In industry/commerce, the keep softened water separate from drinking water due to these risks, although they have their resin sterilised on a regular basis.

Probably wise not to drink softened water at all. Any increase in the sodium level of what you drink can be seriously bad for you, not just kids or the sick. Doesn't harm occasionally, or as a one off, but cumulatively in your drink and diet is a seriously bad idea. Aside from the increased sodium level in the water, you're also drinking water from a vessel where there's likely to be biofilm growing in and on the resin. These harbour bacteria, so in theory, you'd be perculating fresh clean water through dirty resin. In industry/commerce, the keep softened water separate from drinking water due to these risks, although they have their resin sterilised on a regular basis.

Thank you. Think I will run the kitchen sink tap on un-softened water for these reasons. Very informative, much appreciated. I have now ordered the Kinetico Aquablu.....now to test my plumbing skills

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom