Domestic Water Softeners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nope. We have a separate un softened but filtered drinking water tap.

Sounds like you drink the softened water.

The only difference between drinking artificially softened water and normal hard water (for adults) is that drinks made with softened water taste sooooooooooooooooo much better. Really. You can actually TASTE the difference.
Drinking normal quantities of softened water for adults and older children (school age or above) does no harm at all.
The only proviso I would add to that is that its wise to make sure your diet contains calcium to supplement the lack of calcium in your drinking water.
As an additional possible benefit, those that can be susceptible to kidney stones (which are nothing more than an accumulation of excess calcium) actually drinking softened water eventually breaks down the stone and flushes it away. Without the need for surgery.
This can be a positive benefit in areas of particularly high calcium levels (hard water). Like where I live for example.
Any where in fact where water is extracted in chalky areas (ie, the North and South downs).

Soft water just doesn't taste the same though, I've been on holiday and glad to get back to drinking my hard water when I came home.

The only difference between drinking artificially softened water and normal hard water (for adults) is that drinks made with softened water taste sooooooooooooooooo much better. Really. You can actually TASTE the difference.
Drinking normal quantities of softened water for adults and older children (school age or above) does no harm at all.
The only proviso I would add to that is that its wise to make sure your diet contains calcium to supplement the lack of calcium in your drinking water.
As an additional possible benefit, those that can be susceptible to kidney stones (which are nothing more than an accumulation of excess calcium) actually drinking softened water eventually breaks down the stone and flushes it away. Without the need for surgery.
This can be a positive benefit in areas of particularly high calcium levels (hard water). Like where I live for example.
Any where in fact where water is extracted in chalky areas (ie, the North and South downs).

I disagree with that entirely. Anything that raises your sodium levels artificially is bad generally. There's plenty of sodium and calcium in a normal, healthy diet. If you were to drink artificially softened water, which is inadvisable, there would be no need to supplement your calcium intake. Likewise, just drinking artificially softened water is not enough to break down all kidney stones(not all are just soluble calcium deposits). While naturally soft water low in minerals is good(tap waer in a lot of areas), it may only have a small effect on some forms of stones, but not all. This is just good medicine generally, the point being that hydration is the key in the first place as a preventor, as well as during treatment. It would be very unwise to advocate someone with kidney stones drinking artificially softened water, particularly with the intent on treating them.

Its also wise to remember that while tap water is not sterile, softened water can have a higher bacterial count(the ion exchange resin acting as a great growth surface). This is another reason not to drink it, and only use it for washing/cleaning etc. You'd essentially be drinking 'stale' water, and you wouldn't drink out of a dirty glass or cup, let alone a bucket that has had water standing in it.

Intalled a Harvey's system late last year as I hate tea with scum on the top. We love it. No problems and the Harvey's people seem to know what they are talking about. In Hampshire we live in a v hard water area so a water softener was always going to be on the cards eventually. We have an on/off switch for the outside tap which means the gardener can water with all the normal nutrients.

No brainer as far as I am concerned....
Harvey's the most expensive so far - they are offering me their 'Big Bertha' 1" main softener. This is the one they manufacture that is offered cheaper by their stockists.

Oddly they haven't answered my question about matching the online supply price I've got for their machine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom