Don’t want you car knocked? Turn your key off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick Harper

Car
Mercedes-Benz C350e Sport Prem Plus Estate (On Order)
Keyless car thieves caught on CCTV stealing £80k Mercedes Keyless Mercedes 'gone in 66 seconds'

It’s easy. Double click the lock button at night. This disables keyless entry on the key. This will prevent this kind of theft.

Sorry about the typo in the thread title! I can’t change it. Can a moderator do it for me?

Keyless car thieves caught on CCTV stealing £80k Mercedes Keyless Mercedes 'gone in 66 seconds'

It’s easy. Double click the lock button at night. This disables keyless entry on the key. This will prevent this kind of theft.

Yes, but it's worth bearing in mind that it doesn't work on earlier keyless models. I'm not sure when the change was introduced (pre 2014?) so it's worth checking if your key can actually be disabled by double locking.

Yes, but it's worth bearing in mind that it doesn't work on earlier keyless models. I'm not sure when the change was introduced (pre 2014?) so it's worth checking if your key can actually be disabled by double locking.

Those owners should buy a "faraday pouch" from ebay, problem solved for a few quid!

Mine made a point of telling me about it last year when I picked up the car. However, he didn’t mention theft. He told me to do it it make the key’s battery last longer.

A Faraday's cage can be any metal can with a lid that makes *tight* connection to the can.
No need for eBay...

A TV-program aired in Sweden a few years ago where a reporter was allowed to follow a modern day car thief in his nightly activities
showed how it was done in France. The thief selected an expenceive car (powerful engine) where the door could be opened without triggering the alarm.
Then, a "diagnostic" tool with LCD, keyboard and a CAN-bus cable is connected to the OBD outlet. That tool, manufactured in the east somewhere which could be baught
for some thousand Euros secretly adds another key. After injecting the added key, the car is left without any sign of entry and can
later be opened and driven away. When later stolen, new license plates was fitted after which the car was used in drug trafficking.

One of my friends got tired of having his car repeatadly stolen so he simply added a separate relay
that disconnected the starter engine +12V (solenoid) and a hidden switch. The ordinary key did everything
that it should but the engine did not crank.

Those owners should buy a "faraday pouch" from ebay, problem solved for a few quid!

Totally defeats the purpose of keyless .......

There have been quite a few posts about theft of cars with keyless.......they can even follow you in a supermarket (etc) with a device in a backpack that grabs your key signal and boosts it back to the car where and accomplice is waiting.....

A Faraday's cage can be any metal can with a lid that makes *tight* connection to the can.
No need for eBay...

A TV-program aired in Sweden a few years ago where a reporter was allowed to follow a modern day car thief in his nightly activities
showed how it was done in France. The thief selected an expenceive car (powerful engine) where the door could be opened without triggering the alarm.
Then, a "diagnostic" tool with LCD, keyboard and a CAN-bus cable is connected to the OBD outlet. That tool, manufactured in the east somewhere which could be baught
for some thousand Euros secretly adds another key. After injecting the added key, the car is left without any sign of entry and can
later be opened and driven away. When later stolen, new license plates was fitted after which the car was used in drug trafficking.

One of my friends got tired of having his car repeatadly stolen so he simply added a separate relay
that disconnected the starter engine +12V (solenoid) and a hidden switch. The ordinary key did everything
that it should but the engine did not crank.

....Seems these days, they will break in to the house and force the owner to help them take the car (overrode other devices) if they want it badly enough. I'd rather just let them have it.

The best thing to do is to buy something ugly and full of corrosion that can be left at the road side.
Better for the wallet. The dealers will not rip you off. There is no need to worry since it can be parked anywhere.
No need for expenceive maintenance. You can change the oil yourself. H7 lamps that can be changed in a jiffy.
No £ 1500 LED front lamp assemblys that needs to be "paired" because of differencec in LED color temperature, etc.

When I was in the Keyless market (Resident Engr Siemens VDO( = Continental today)), there was a technology that could detect if the key was
at a remote location and that it was being triggered by a back-pack thief by measuring the response time
between the challenge (125 kHz) and the response (433/868 MHz). I thought that this technology
had been implemented by the car makers by now but obviously not...

I don't get why people are so keen on keyless entry for cars and it would put me off buying unless it could be disabled if I was in the market for a newer type car, no one ever wants it on their house so you have to carry a key to get back home again anyway.

I don't get why people are so keen on keyless entry for cars and it would put me off buying unless it could be disabled if I was in the market for a newer type car, no one ever wants it on their house so you have to carry a key to get back home again anyway.

You still need a (car) key in your pocket or nearby. Just don't need to touch it however, I believe the newer cars can be unlocked with NFC on the smartphones.

I've had a car with keyless and it was quite handy but due to the popularity of keyless amongst thieves, I decided to stick with the "normal" method for the SL. Can't say I miss the keyless.

I have a keyless door lock ;)

I keep my keys in a metal Roses tin overnight.

Keyless is great. I’d be surprised if many cars used regular keys in future. The tech has been in use for 20 years now on Mercedes so it’s not going anywhere! :)

They’ve already made some improvements from what I’ve seen - don’t the new keys go to ‘sleep’ when not being moved about, so pretty safe from the usual relay theft methods when parked up at home etc.

I agree Keyless is excellent, after 2 Keyless cars I wouldn't want to go back to the old normal.
Move with the times and look after your Keyless fob.
If people don't look after them it's bordering on negligence in my opinion.
If you don't put the key to sleep or use a faraday bag, you may as well leave the front door open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom