Dont buy a Nissan, Should had bought a Vito!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Woeful tale, My wife ended up buying a Nissan X-trail over a New Vito which we have both regretted since.

To cap it all off Glyn Hopkin Colchester are next to useless.

2 Days ago the CEL came on our New (65) 7 seater X-trail, My wife who happens to be pregnant and emotional rang the Dealer Glyn Hopkin Colchester to ask for the vehicle tobe looked at, and the use of a suitable replacment Ie "7 Seater Vehicle" as thats what we a Buying through our monthly PCP deal.

They promised a call back to arrange the car to be looked at, 1 1/2 hours later and still no phone call back we decided to drive 40 miles to the dealer to ask why we havent had a call back? and what was being done?

Surprise surprise they couldn't say why we didn't have call back and they cannot supply a 7 seater vehicle replacement whilst ours is in for repair. BUT they would contact Nissan Head Office and ask them to call us, But did say it's only a Amber engine light so the vehicle is safe to drive.

2 days later still no phone call! So i rang them.

They said all of there 7 seater vehicles are in use elsewhere, they cannot promise a replacment 7 seater vehicle and they didn't know if the Vehicle was safe to drive despite Colchester saying it was! But to refer to the Owners handbook.

(which i did) and it states driving the vehicle with such light on for a prolonged period may invalidate any warranty.

So i've been promised a phone call from Nissan Head office tomorrow afternoon to say yes or no to a Suitable replacement whilst our's is being repaired/looked at.

I cannot believe they dont have any suitable vehicles to loan us
I cannot believe its will be 3 day tomorrow and nobody has even looked at the car for a diagnosis.
And i cannot believe a car which has only done 8k miles in 9 months has suffered a Cel and cruise control failure also.

Is there any grounds for rejecting this Car? or at least for me to find a replacement and billing Nissan for the hire costs.

So wish we had gone the MB Vito route. :mad:

When you say your wife is emotional....

Why not ring whatevr roadside assistance Nissan provide - they should be able to diagnose and maybe even repair whatever the issue is. I drove a lease company Peugeot with its CEL on for 18mths and didn't seem to be any issue - car ran as normal. Garage would "fix" it and next day it would come on again. In the end Peugeot took the car back early.

never drive a car with cel on if you have a warranty as that warranty will be voided as every mi is never drive with a cel on

The Cruise control has also packed up and the Radio/ipod freezes I thought Jap car's were meant to be reliable.

Sounds out of order for a supposedly reputable dealer.

I would not get so wound up about not having a like for like courtesy car. So long as your wife has wheels that is important surely.

How long have you had the car (re rejecting?)

You have to allow them ample time to attend to minor defects, but anything serious can be deemed to have existed when sold, so under the Sale of Goods act.

How long you have had it is key
If under a month ( think that's the minimum) you need to write to the dealer principle in hard copy, recorded delivery etc...

My dad has the old style X trail, 136 dci Sport I think it called. Hes owned it for 11 years and the only issue he's ever had is a siezed rear caliper, and a new battery.
I'm not really a fan of Jap stuff but reliability is rarely an issue, I just think modern cars are getting far too complicated.

Sounds like a real nightmare, Gavin. Hope you get it sorted soon and without anymore fuss.

I used to get wound up like this.... Nowadays try and take a chill pill.

A light for a few days is no real problem...

No Offence but you know what to do... trade it for a Vito! Unhappy with the service, don't waste any time, trade it, take photos of you doing the deal and send straight into Nissan HQ.. they had they're chance for your business and did nothing.. back to merc!:thumb:

Take it easy Gav, just make sure the wife is OK. if she sees you flapping she will get even more tense.

As for the car, the cruise could well be linked, could easily be a speed sensor for example.

Are the 7 seats imperative immediately? Could you maybe have a 5 seater for a few days whilst they source a 7 seater?

If so, tell them you are not paying for a car that you cannot drive and if they cannot find a suitable vehicle, you will hire one and send them the bill

Thanks for all the kind comments, Yes the 7 seater is needed as we have 5 children and 1 on the way Doh.. lol

And yes i have got wound up tbh as i'm still recovery from my cycle accident 2 wks ago, 4 broken ribs and punctured lung :( (dont ask) so i'm on edge but took it on as my Wife was not getting anywhere with the Nissan dealer.

I was Told that i cannot source my own hire car and bill Nissan either, She can use my e320 estate but she does worry about doing so.

Soooo, i'm awaiting a phone call back today to see whats happens 3 days and still nobody from Nissan can help.

Tbf its a fair comment perhaps i should have got a roadside recovery chap to look at it :/

Thanks again to all and yes i will try and chill but im in so much pain... :(

Last edited:
Well well actually got a reply from Nissan Head Office, Guess what..... My wife has to wait till August for a 7 seater Hire Car, "Quality Mr Nissan" thankyou for all your help??

So not sure what we are going to do now seeing as the Manual says we shouldnt drive it with the Cel light on.

We are never buying another Vehicle from Glyn Hopkin Nissan ever , 3 days to get a unhelpful solution. Joke

On the flip side my 13 year old Mercedes E-class with 90k hasn't missed a beat ;)

Well well actually got a reply from Nissan Head Office, Guess what..... My wife has to wait till August for a 7 seater Hire Car, "Quality Mr Nissan" thankyou for all your help??

So not sure what we are going to do now seeing as the Manual says we shouldnt drive it with the Cel light on.

We are never buying another Vehicle from Glyn Hopkin Nissan ever , 3 days to get a unhelpful solution. Joke

On the flip side my 13 year old Mercedes E-class with 90k hasn't missed a beat ;)

Hence there is only 2 makes of cars is the mercedes and the rest!lol
I hope you get it sorted mate.

Our Juke spat the gearbox out at 22k just before the warranty went up the swanny.

Fact is - I suspect Japanese reliability is a myth now just like it is for the Germans.

Also, as said, the cars are way more complicated now but without the quality to match - got to maximise profit I guess.

Just look at all the grief on here caused by MB and their shyte dealers.

Good luck with it - you could have had just as much crap with the MB... it's a lottery at the end of the day.

Our Juke spat the gearbox out at 22k just before the warranty went up the swanny.

Fact is - I suspect Japanese reliability is a myth now just like it is for the Germans.

Also, as said, the cars are way more complicated now but without the quality to match - got to maximise profit I guess.

Just look at all the grief on here caused by MB and their shyte dealers.

Good luck with it - you could have had just as much crap with the MB... it's a lottery at the end of the day.

Having owned a few mercedes couldn't disagree more.

Tbf at Least Mb seem to have a decency to call there customer's back within 3 days, I think you pretty accurate that most new vehicles are not designed to last, BUT come on 8,000 miles??

Thanks Bruno, August it is seeing as the Dealer who sold the vehicle says it's fine to drive, Even though they haven't even code read it. What a shower of S****

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom