Don't it always seem to go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone

The BBC are to end their 93 year old agreement with the Met Office to provide the nation's weather forcast facilities. Met Office in the news ? BBC weather contract | Met Office News Blog Contract to go to Dutch or New Zealand rivals. here's a sample
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/weather-forecast/video?autoPlay=true

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT is what I say. :mad:

There's always a chance that they will see the hurricane coming...

Agreed. Haven't' read your link, but when this story originally broke some time ago, the NZ pitch focused on them being 11/12 hours ahead of us and being able to work through their day preparing more accurate weather forecasts for the start of our day.

There's always a chance that they will see the hurricane coming...
From NEW ZEALAND?? Well I suppose they are 11 hours ahead of us.:rolleyes:
I don't know how the international weather reporting system works. I assume certain organisations have rights to / responsabilities for certain geographical areas and exchange / sell their data to commercial third parties who produce weather forecasts. One assumes its all basically from the same data sources and these other companies have undercut the Met Office commercial arm. Experience of the commercial tendering process unfortunately would indicate that rather than promoting excellence of service and value for money as it "promises on the tin" it normally presages an increase in cost and diminution of quality of service

Last edited:
I didn't realise all our weather came directly from New Zealand!

What is this country coming to. Now even the famous British Weather is imported. Is nothing sacred any more?

Typical really of Britain's ability to continuously 'sell it's own mother' in every way possible. Guess that will mean redundancies in Exeter.

I can't help but imagine the committee making this kind of decision looking out of the window at the pissing rain in August and agreeing to sack the weathermen 'responsible'.

Wonder how the decision would have gone in August 1976?

When I joined the BBC it was all about making programmes.

When I left it was all about making savings.

Stratman, you said it all, thirty years ago I worked for a company that made the best baked beans and soups in the world, then the Americans came and for the last ten years we didn't.

I'm sure the Daily Wail will be creaming into their Y-fronts over this.

I'm sure the Daily Wail will be creaming into their Y-fronts over this.

I'm sure they will, despite Harold Jonathan Esmond Vere Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere, who has the controlling interest in the Wail having non-domicile tax status and owning his media businesses through a complex structure of offshore holdings and trusts which entail him paying almost no UK tax on his income, investments or wealth.

That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone

The BBC are to end their 93 year old agreement with the Met Office to provide the nation's weather forcast facilities. Met Office in the news ? BBC weather contract | Met Office News Blog Contract to go to Dutch or New Zealand rivals. here's a sample
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/weather-forecast/video?autoPlay=true

No wonder I'm becoming a grumpy old sausage. :(

What a stupid situation. I mistakenly thought the contract between the Met Office and the BBC was set in stone. :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom