Dont Laugh but has anyone ever colour coded Chromey Arches'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
alright peeps,

not saying its a good idea or im even considering doing it but just wondering what it may look like on anything :)

just thought it might be something a bit different

Im not sure you can sand down chrome to paint either ????

thanks

Brett

I was thinking about this idea because my arches all need fixing and this option would be cheaper than repainting both sides of my car. I think you should try it and post a picture of the end result.:rolleyes:

alright Brett

Often wondered about this. You do it and if it works post it on here. It should look well, imo.

Ive seen these colour coded on a rat look 190e and to be fair it looked a lot nicer than the chromes.

If done correctly would it look like the car has wide arches....sort of E500 look?

not sure someone needs to try it and post a pic :) :)

wide arches is the look that id be after :)

started experimenting today with spraying some bumper chromes to see how they come up like before i order some arches

wide arches is the look that id be after :)

started experimenting today with spraying some bumper chromes to see how they come up like before i order some arches

See if you can get them sandblasted it'll give you a key for some etch primer then you're away ;)

Use the right primer!

I've done it successfully :thumb:but only on the second attempt.:eek: Lightly abraded the chrome surface with fine wet and dry to get a key. Brush primed with INTERNATIONAL SPECIAL METALS PRIMER [ B and Q ;) ] before rubbing down and spraying with a zinc filler/ primer followed by a metallic colour followed by clear lacquer. Sprayed the thin rubber edging at the same time. The paint adheres quite well to the rubber lip. Its vital to paint both sides of the trim- not just the outer surface. Obviously you don't need to "finish" the inside just get a good coating on the metal edges especially. With straight primer and paint it lasted only one winter before lifting and peeling from the edges:(. With the special primer its been fine for 4 salt laden winters now with no signs of deterioration.:rock: Its relatively easy to get a good finish off the car [ no overspray or masking required]
Makes for a much better look than the loud chrome IMHO. Best to subject the underlying rusty arches you are concealing with some basic anti corrosion work first before putting them on tho. :p

Attachments

• archtrim.JPG
    archtrim.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 117
Good job.

cheers mate, will get ordering and take a trip to B & Q. Ive got a sport 202 which hasnt got any chrome on at all. Ive got some C36 bumpers to be sprayed but have not decided as yet whether to add chrome to my door strips or colour code the chrome on the C36 bumpers. I am probably going to do do both (ive got enough spare parts) and see which comes out best

And what's wrong with chromey arches??

PICT0127.JPG

Sheer classs if you ask me :) - makes it look like a 600 pullman.

Nothing wrong with chromey arches per se but on a more modern 202/208/210 generation car would look totally out of place IMHO!

Loving the colour coded chrome arch idea though - genius!!

Might get this done to my W208 in a few years - could prolong it's useful life significantly!

Chrome arches are horribly tacky IMO.

They do nothing to enhance the look of any modern Mercedes - if they did they would have come that way from the factory or be offered as an official option.

Chrome arches are horribly tacky IMO.

They do nothing to enhance the look of any modern Mercedes - if they did they would have come that way from the factory or be offered as an official option.

The colour coded arch which grober has fashioned above looks significantly better than the compulsory Mercedes-Benz rust - fact.

Agree. Grober's arches look rather good. Never seen it done before but it seems to have worked well.

Good job there Grober. I know you suggested that as an option when I asked whether or not to remove the chrome arches on my R107. It's downstairs now, with a new MB rear exhaust ready ready to fit, though I simply haven't found the time to get under her or see what lies behind the chromes.

I was skeptical at the paint-over option, but I see now that it is viable. Cheers for that :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom