Dont laugh ... renault question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The G.F.P

MB Enthusiast
the co-creator of my child has a 1997 megane scenic 2.0 rxe auto

she starts the engine

then puts it in drive or reverse

revs drop and car stalls

this happens 5 or 6 times in a row then it might get going

any ideas

renault in their infinate wisdom do not have a dip stick for the oil in the auto box

bloody french rubbish

Here are my thoughts - for what they're worth...

How does it perform once you do get it going? Any sluggish changes (i.e. worse than normal :D)?

If you let it warm up a little (5 mins or so) before putting it in gear, does this help?

If it is stalling the motor, you may be getting an sharp increase in load - a torque converter issue possibly? Or, of course, it could be software...

You really need to see what's in there somehow, in terms of quantity and quality. I had a (very) old BMW years ago and it started buggering around - no drive, sluggish changes, etc, and I found that it had turned its ATF to a thick caramel consistency. To such a degree that I was utterly convinced that it had been filled with EP90 or similar, i.e. gear oil!!

Good luck.

just spoke to her and aparantly when driving its fine but when she stops at a junction the car will jolt at time or lurch a bit

i bought her the car for a grand last september and its quiet low milage

she has no money and im not overly happy yet again paying for work to the thing

ive got a mate with a garage so ill see how much he wants to do an oil change

i hate it but .... "its got twin electric sunroofs, four electric windows, cruise, alloys, pas, cl & front fogs"

aparantly

cheers people as usuall ive had to come here to get advice on shody non mercedes cars

just spoke to my mate with the garage and he said similar to what the above have said

also might be the idle controll valve

but he will stick it on the ramps, remove all gearbox oil, fill with new oil for £30 all in

start with the cheapest thing as her last megan died as the gearbox died as it had very little oil in it as there is no way of telling what the oil level is

them genius's at renault

We have two Scenics just now, one pre-facelift and one facelift and the pre is the one that i assume you have at 1997.

Have a look at the pipes at the rear of the inlet manifold, in particular look at the one that enters the mas, they are famous for splitting with the heat.

Also check the crankshaft sensor which is located on top of the gearbox at the engine, two bolts removes it, give it a clean.

Have a look on Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - Powered by vBulletin its a good place to start.

renault in their infinate wisdom do not have a dip stick for the oil in the auto box

Just like the mercs:D

Lynall

Does the engine rev up to 'fast idle' when first started from cold.? If not I suspect the idle compensation valve isn't working. Check the wiring before condemning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom