Don't lie to your mechanic or wife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tuercas viejas

MB Enthusiast
Car
landrover/rolls royce/MB AMG S600/Prius
A bit of workshop mirth for the weekend and maybe some of you can personify~!
Maxim #1
Don't lie to your Mechanic, simply because modern equipment & computer service records will catch you out each & every time!
AND
So came to pass that on this occasion it was a 2005 Lincoln Navi Gator (Nasty gaiter) land yacht.
views 2005 lincoln navigator - Google Search:

But it could have easily been a Mercedes even a Sprinter!
Customer turns up with CEL on and miss-fires, I heard at the desk "Dennis put an engine in it only two years ago and its got problems. I do my own servicing so it something serious wrong!
Can you check if the warranty has expired?"

Looking back in the records & yes a take out, a good used engine installed in year 2011 more than 6 and half years ago! (Miles then was 59,000, now 259,203 .)
A quick whip over with a black light, the plugs Ahamm! are the originals! Fitted by me, Oh so long ago now ! Nor I bet no real serving done in more than 200,000 miles!
Own servicing--Its all barefaced lies
laughing.gif

Maxim #2
Don't lie to your wife, especially when another woman is involved!~ Facebook will catch you out! OMG! Besides women are good at finding this stuff out !
The same goes when it comes to expensive car repairs!
The same guy and his Navigator! Some Guys never learn!
The engine and the install was $6K.
He put down a deposit of $3K in cash to get the ball rolling.
Once done I pressed him for the balance! I could tell be was cash poor!
The car went into storage!
Then one Saturday in came this lady in a business suit spouting fire and brimstone & Alexander her not so "Great" better half was a few steps behind!
As the ferocious one sided verbal attack from a lucifer re-incarnate in the form of a woman-----Crikey! As the tirade slowed I presented the contract from the R/O rack !!
She instantly picked up the 3000 deposit on the paperwork! YIKES --CASH-!-the job was $6000 not $3000 as she was not aware of this turn of events
Turning to her husband the fire and brimstone took aim! ROOAR
As only a pi$$ed a woman can say it;- [B"]WE NEED TO TALK"[/B]
At this stage even a macho latino would most likely cower--La Dragona
Acting like a caring Clef d'Or concierge I ask "Would you two folks like to use an office "?
NO! We will, discuss this outside in MY CAR --ITS a Ranger Rover!
Yes Maam!

About ten minutes later she comes back with poor hubby a few steps behind like a whipped/thrashed whippet with its tail between its legs!

We will be back in two weeks to settle up--So! Moral here don't lie to the missus and use the family budget to fix yer car!~ Even if you think its yours!
laughing.gif

Maxim#3
Don't lie to Almighty God--You will get caught out!
As a small boy in England, my native Gloucestershire to be exact, the local vicar dressed like a 1950's version of Darth Vader scared the BeJezus out of us children in the village church about lying!
Since I am told the Almighty is all forgiving your best bet is not to the cross swords with the missus by cheating & lying especially where car repairs are concerned.

So it brings me to what might I do in retirement.
One possible path is be a man of the cloth, a back sliding Episcopalian of the Anglican Church to be exact! Dressed like Darth Vader clergyman. (A bit like Father Brown--but he was Catlick) Expounding the virtues of life, peddling around in rural Gloucestershire on my ex 1947 Swiss Army bicycle & that of not cheating & lying to wives and mechanics.
It might be a fruitful endeavor--Could even be a TV series with delightful wealthy young widows to visit Any more tea vicar ?
Oh yes PG Tips please but no sugar ! Any buns?
thumbup.gif
lol.gif

Dennis
Last edit

The issue I have with not lying to my wife about the cost of car repairs is that she thinks I am lying even when I am not lying. It's counter intuitive. Now every time she asks "how much", I know she is expecting a lie and probably has already seen the invoice or, overheard me sobbing on the telephone. As soon as I open my mouth I can see that she has adopted the "your lying to me stance". This is a stance recognised by time and hard fought experience of lying to her.

Worse than this, she tells me that I flare my nostrils when lying. Just knowing this starts my nostrils flaring as soon as I start to reply. I am doomed whatever my response.

It is another one to add to to my recent "measurement language" thread.

"It won't cost much" where 'much' is a sliding verb on a scale between £1.00 up to £1000. I consider anything over £1000 as costing a 'bomb' or worthy of the shouted response "How Much?" sometimes with an added "How Much FFS?"

On the other hand.............

my wife regularly returns from shopping and exclaims "I saved a fortune today".

somewhere in her mind, the fact that her new shoes were discounted by 20%, totally overides the fact that she just spent £500 on yet another pair!

....HOW MUCH??!?!

I was present 20 years ago when the wife of a friend came out of John Lewis in Oxford Street and announced that she'd just saved him £2,000. He was shaken, to say the least. She'd seen a set of sofas and armchairs in JL that she'd liked and had negotiated the price down to £10k from £12k. Bargain!

I was present 20 years ago when the wife of a friend came out of John Lewis in Oxford Street and announced that she'd just saved him £2,000. He was shaken, to say the least. She'd seen a set of sofas and armchairs in JL that she'd liked and had negotiated the price down to £10k from £12k. Bargain!

That is how women think - My wife buys stuff she does not need because "it was on sale" and then tells me she saved money.

The other thing in her head is that £9.99 means 9 not 10......99.99 means 90 not 100, its only 90 pounds darling ...........

just wondering if it's OK for socalled trusted mechanic friend or a socalled mechanic going rouge with shady agenda to either lie or scam their customers/friends?
my former mechanic buddy who ripped me off by taking my existing fuel pump and using it for another project of his own so he didn't have to fork out out of his own pockets for a needed fuel pump, so I had to pay for a new pump lying to me that my existing pump was shot!
this is what my swedish former mechanic buddy did to me!

9 out of 10 swedes loves to boast showing the rest of the world they are the most honest and decent people on planet earth and the rest of the population on planet earth are just crooks and scoundrels!
my former mechanic who was employed by the dealership in Uddevalla Sweden is a lying sack of hypocrite sh-t!

is it OK to commit such foul business like this to a customer or a friend?
I just want to know what you think about such dishonest behaviour against customers or friends letting you work on their cars?
do you say it's wrong to be dishonest and cheating them for money or is it OK to cheat your customer or friend?
just want to know your morality what is ok or not?

would you scam your own buddy just to make a few extra bucks or would you be 100% honest about fixing your buddies car without ripping him/her off?

Last edited:
That is how women think - My wife buys stuff she does not need because "it was on sale" and then tells me she saved money.

The other thing in her head is that £9.99 means 9 not 10......99.99 means 90 not 100, its only 90 pounds darling ...........

"Man math" works on a similar principle though? I am just getting this part (a) it's cheap Dear (b) it's a safety feature and you will feel much better in the car.

Brucemillar stated
That is how women think !!!!
Yes they are different creatures to us guys--that's why we love 'em!
Now off the topic of lying & deceit well somewhat! --try this on your significant other?
Its helps if she or you for that matter doesn't understand Spanish, but simply watch the action and deduce what the song Julio is singing about!
See if you can get an interpretation from her without your input or impression.
If you can post your answer maybe with your impression.
I tried this out on my missus & she got the message although poor girl doesn't understand a word of Spanish. Female intuition perhaps?? Oh me gawd !

Dennis
aka Tuercas viejas

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom