Don't Lose Both Keys....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
My advice to anyone travelling over the Easter weekend is don't lose both keys....

When I bought the car I only got one so as a precaution I bought a second one a couple of years ago at the cost of £150. This lasted a few months and then went missing. I suspect my little boy, then two, of involvement....

Ever since then I've felt a bit nervous, especially as the wife (bless her) habitually puts keys in easy reach of my daughter, now two.

The second key duly went missing yesterday, last seen placed on a low table.

Down to Mercedes Park Royal at lunchtime to order a new one. The cost is now £215 (!) and because of all the recent scams they now need to see the car before releasing the key (fair enough but hardly convenient.....). So that'll be a low loader. Time to call the AA.

Luckily we had an week in Devon last week and family are coming to visit us this weekend so no need for the car.

Still a bit of a b*****r though :crazy::)

They dont need to see the car, they need to see proof of ownership and ID.

How would bringing a locked car on a flatbed be proof of anything other than the fact you need a key? Especially seeing many are now stolen in this manner.

BTW, do you still own a VCR? Try taking the lid off and checking inside for your keys. I know of so many people whos kids regularly posted stuff into the VCR flap for postman Pat.

Last edited:
They dont need to see the car, they need to see proof of ownership and ID.

That was the case last time round - this time they say they have tightened up.

It may not be all dealers but certainly Merc Park Royal parts dept are taking this line.

As I say I can understand given the various riging gangs forging docs, stealing cars, selling them, forging docs, stealing them again and so on.

I hope they are not swallowing it.? That is why i watch mine like a hawk. all things in the mouth

Maybe you missed my edit....

How would bringing a locked car on a flatbed be proof of anything other than the fact you need a key? Especially seeing many cars are now stolen in this manner.

Surely proof of ownership and ID is the *only* means of proving that you have a right to the keys.

If this really is MB's stannce then they need to sack their security director.

How would bringing a locked car on a flatbed be proof of anything other than the fact you need a key? Especially seeing many are now stolen in this manner. .

Now that's a good point.....I guess they meant they expect me to drive in so yes, the low loader proves nothing.....

BTW, do you still own a VCR? Try taking the lid off and checking inside for your keys. I know of so many people whos kids regularly posted stuff into the VCR flap for postman Pat.

No VCR but scores of potential hiding places.....

Ah well, no point in getting stressed. The old key will either turn up in a couple of days or I'll have to faff about getting the AA to take the car to Merc or get someone from Merc to deliver the new key. The car is after all on the drive of the property to which it is regsitered and they know the house is mine.

If you suspect one of your little ones of "hiding" it. Why dont you offer an incentive to see if it should suddenly return?
Say like a trip to a favourite resturant or new toy?
Little minds might then suddenly and surprisingly co-operate where before they had forgot.
May not be a the best way to deal with the situation, but if it gets results...........
Its what I would do.........

And then DONT leave where junior can reach................

If you suspect one of your little ones of "hiding" it. Why dont you offer an incentive if it should suddenly return?
Say like a trip to a favourite resturant or new toy?
Little minds might then suddenly and surprisingly co-operate where before they had forgot.
May not be a the best way to deal with the situation, but if it gets results...........................

Good idea - I will try that. Bribery with biscuits often pays off.

And then DONT leave where junior can reach................

Hmmmm.....maybe YOU can persuade my wife...I've been trying for a good three years now and am apparently being "unreasonable".

Down to Mercedes Park Royal at lunchtime to order a new one. The cost is now £215 (!) and because of all the recent scams they now need to see the car before releasing the key (fair enough but hardly convenient.....). So that'll be a low loader.

Can't the parts dept send someone around to see the car on your drive?

Sending it in on a truck seems like lunacy...

Good idea - I will try that. Bribery with biscuits often pays off.
Hmmmm.....maybe YOU can persuade my wife...I've been trying for a good three years now and am apparently being "unreasonable".

I think you may need more than a biscuit..........

And as for persuading a female of the species to do anything they see as "unreasonable".............

Forget it.

Totally.

As Sp!ke says
I had a new set of keys for my 202 and all they wanted was the log book and means of identification they certaintly didn't ask for the car so to be doubly sure I took my insurance certificate as well.

Can't the parts dept send someone around to see the car on your drive?

Sending it in on a truck seems like lunacy...

They were looking into that - they were very reasonable - I am in no way critical of Merc Park Royal - I am glad they are taking precautions to be honest.

next this will apply to house keys - can you bring your house to us please sir? :)

FOUND THE OLD KEY! YEY!

It had fallen down the back of where we normally keep the keys - had a good poke about and there it was :)

So not the kids then (this time)

Wife's logic; it'll be my fault.

In any case I'll soon be back to two keys which is a muche better place to be.

Happy days :)

I think *seeing* the car is part of the standard policy now for when new keys are ordered.

I think it would depend on how nicely you speak to the person in the parts department, and how reasonable they are. I'm sure they'll see sense.

Best of luck,

Will

Just a longshot, but has your little one perhaps flushed them down the toilet?

My little girl thinks dropping things in it (not a pun!) is wonderful playtime. Also check your potted plants....

Glad you found your key,

My keyring is great for helping me when I 'misplace' my keys,

It's luminus orange in colour so stands out, it glows in the dark, when you whistle, it whistles back, when you clap your hands it makes a siren noise and vibrates. All of these wonderful, innovative features mean I'll never lose my keys again.

Not sure where you get them from......
I found mine.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom