Dont think the credit crunch has hit the Arabs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
I spent the day at the Grosvenor Park Lane yesterday...

I simply was astounded by the cars i saw.

- Several very expensive/custom ferraris parked in the drop off area...
- 3 Zonda's
- A seperate (£50 a day) hotel car park full of Ferraris all tucked away in custom fit covers... these were all newish cars (07 on) that are obviously only driven when the owners are in the country.. crazy! same with Maybach's, RR drophead coupes and the like..
- at least over 50 cars registered on arab plates being driven on the streets of mayfair

Was too busy with my cousins wedding to be taking pics.. but wow.. money is just taken for granted by these guys...

I heard a convo in the lift.. the first guy asks "did you get the car fixed" and the other replies saying "nah, just bought a new one"... intrigued i followed him to the lobby.. and the porter brings him his gallardo...

Another thing i noticed was that there seem to be a lot of Arabs that seem to LIVE at these sort of hotels, and i mean actually live there for months on end...

just observations that kept my mind active on the drive home..

Last edited:
High oil prices aren't bad for everyone.

I spent the day at the Grosvenor Park Lane yesterday...

I simply was astounded by the cars i saw.

- Several very expensive/custom ferraris parked in the drop off area...
- 3 Zonda's
- A car park full of Ferraris all tucked away in custom fit covers... these were all newish cars (07 on) that are obviously only driven when the owners are in the country.. crazy! same with Maybach's, RR drophead coupes and the like..
- at least over 50 cars registered on arab plates being driven on the streets of mayfair

Was too busy with my cousins wedding to be taking pics.. but wow.. money is just taken for granted by these guys...

I heard a convo in the lift.. the first guy asks "did you get the car fixed" and the other replies saying "nah, just bought a new one"... intrigued i followed him to the lobby.. and the porter brings him his gallardo...

Another thing i noticed was that there seem to be a lot of Arabs that seem to LIVE at these sort of hotels, and i mean actually live there for months on end...

just observations that kept my mind active on the drive home..

Didn't you read in the newspaper they air freight a Lambo all the way from the Middle East to London just to do a service?:D

Credit crunch only in UK. We always thought we are the centre of the world. No.

What about your cousins lavishness?

Last edited:
I'm up there a lot because the company I contract to has an office in Stanhope gate just off Park lane and next to that hotel. You always see arab plated cars around there because the embassy is just round the corner.

When they had a state visit a few months ago the place was teaming with them. The king had 2 747's. one for him and one for his staff. They had 11 cars to bring the luggage from the airport..!!!

Credit crunch only in UK. We always thought we are the centre of the world. No.
In fairness the "credit crunch" first happened in the USA (it's their term) a couple of years ago and we're experiencing the knock-on effects.

A friend of ours lives in Paddington just off the Edgware Road and there are always some nice cars parked in the car park underneath the apartments, many just gathering dust.

It always astounds me that some chaps will bring their cars all the way over from the middle east, surely it would make more sense to just hire one whilst they are here?

There is a little shop unit rather than a showroom just of Baker Street that hires / sells some serious exotica, it just looks so strange to see a Lamborgini or an Enzo or a Porsche GT in the shop window.

A friend of ours lives in Paddington just off the Edgware Road and there are always some nice cars parked in the car park underneath the apartments, many just gathering dust.

It always astounds me that some chaps will bring their cars all the way over from the middle east, surely it would make more sense to just hire one whilst they are here?

There is a little shop unit rather than a showroom just of Baker Street that hires / sells some serious exotica, it just looks so strange to see a Lamborgini or an Enzo or a Porsche GT in the shop window.

If you are flush with cash, you want something personal not someone else germs in it.

I think most of us (who by world standards are doing very OK) cant truly imagine what the term "filthy rich" REALLY means. Its so far removed from our mundane existance that its in a league of its own. They collect cars like we collect stamps. Its a world where "normal" standards simply dont apply or exist. Alot of my work is done in the middle east and the old joke about an arab getting rid of a car because the ashtray was full is actually not too far removed from the truth. Roads leading out of the citys are littered with expensive cars that have broken down and just left because the owners cant be bothered to get then recovered and repaired. I have seen this with my own eyes, so believe it.

I think most of us (who by world standards are doing very OK) cant truly imagine what the term "filthy rich" REALLY means. Its so far removed from our mundane existance that its in a league of its own. They collect cars like we collect stamps. Its a world where "normal" standards simply dont apply or exist. Alot of my work is done in the middle east and the old joke about an arab getting rid of a car because the ashtray was full is actually not too far removed from the truth. Roads leading out of the citys are littered with expensive cars that have broken down and just left because the owners cant be bothered to get then recovered and repaired. I have seen this with my own eyes, so believe it.

We need these tourists to keep the money rolling in hospitality inns.:bannana:

2 Points ..

1. Credit Crunch --- the clue is in the title -- it isn't a "cash" crunch.... therefore if you don't need to borrow the world has just gotten better ...

2. For every "filthy rich" person there are many poverty stricken people from the same country .... a good use of monies ??? Nothing like a despotic regime to generate wealth for the few...

When I was at Uni I knew a couple of Arab guys that would have their cars shipped over for term time. Nothing special (but not bad as students, Toyota Sera (gullwing doors) and a Honda Integra)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom