Don't you just HATE waiting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebel

Car
Clk 230K soon to be SLK R171
Well there is me, joined this forum almost a fortnight ago, waiting for my secondhand 230 CLK to be delivered (Bought off a motor trader) and it was due last Tuesday.

The dealer seems a really nice guy, and very genuine, part of the deal was 12 mths MOT, the Bonnet resprayed (stone chips) Aircon recharged, the wheels refurbished and a few other minor bits and pieces.

Anyway Monday morning arrived and he phoned me to tell me there was a delay, the paint shop hadn't finished when they promised and there was no way the car was going to be finished until Tuesday itself, and that was just the paintwork, so my CLK wasn't going to be delivered until Thursday.

No problem says me, as long as the car is right when I get it, I will be happy! Anyway Thursday arrives and the car has failed its MOT on emissions (Good news in a way cos the dealer pays for the repairs and not me, after all it may be a lamda sensor, or it could be the Cat's either way its not going to be cheap).

So thats Thursday gone without my new toy, unfortunately because its still at the MOT station being repaired (and I don't know whether thats been completed yet either) the wheels haven't been touched yet and they will take another day, so I have no idea when I will get my new toy, and I hate waiting.

In honesty, everything thats happened is to my advantage, the MOT wasn't due until next year, but asking for a new MOT has meant I will not be stung for these repairs when it is due, but I want to PLAY with my new toy!!

I'm not moaning too much, because the dealer is playing fair and its costing him money, but I thought I would share my frustrations with you guys, cos after all a trouble shared is a trouble halved so they say.

Know what you mean.

I bought my SL as an 'approved used' car from an M-B main dealer. They're supposed to be fully checked over/repaired before going on sale. However on the test drive I noticed a slight vibration at speed, felt like a wheel that wasn't completely balanced. They ended up giving me a pickup date 2 weeks later because apparently the diagnostics indicated a problem with the engine management system.

So I phoned the day before I was due to collect - yes everything was fine. Next day was glorious & sunny, I had booked the day of work to go down by train (almost 3 hour journey) and was looking forward to a long drive home to get used to the car. Guess what, 20 mins. before I got there my mobile rang ... it was the dealership, a part they were expecting to arrive that morning hadn't come so the car wouldn't be ready!

They gave me a C180 estate to drive home in (not quite as good as the 5 litre V8 I was expecting), and delivered my car 3 days later. Very frustrating.

Anyway, as you say it's best to get these things sorted out at someone else's expense - have fun when you do finally get it!

neilrr said:
Rebel,

have you paid for the car yet?
Only a £500 deposit, so whilst its still possible, this is unlikely to be anything naughty, and the trader has more to lose than me.

I have carried out HPI checks and the chassis number checks shown on this forum, and everything seems to be above board.

Very frustrating, but the wait will be worth it, and you know that the car will be a good one by then mate.:rock:

This also seems like a good Dealer story. Nice to hear it, letßs hope it stays that way. It is really only when things go wrong that you see how good a Dealer is. Let us all know how it turns out.

Glad to have you with the forum Rebel and your story sounds familiar! When I bought my CLK230 last year I too had to wait for the bonnet to be resprayed, the MOT to be done (though it passed), and a fair degree of DLVA associated faffage in getting my plate on the car.

I'm sure when you do get your car you'll be very happy with it, and I'm sure in the nicest possible way the dealer will be glad to see the back of you.

Be sure to post some pictures once you have it.

Rose Chap

Its arrived (Finally) and I have to admit I am quite happy with it (so far)

I won't actually start using it until the cherished number transfer goes through (I don't want other people knowing my business:)) but all the work has been done and it cost the trader a fortune, to give him credit, there was no problem and all the work was carried out properly. (Sorry but thats not my problem)

Anyway the car had been washed, but not valeted, so the wife and I spent almost the whole day getting it the way I wanted it. As per my other thread the lack of a CD changer is a blow, but never mind I'll take my existing Kenwood system out of my old car, the only negative is I'll lose the fingertrip control on the steering wheel.

There is one paint blister on the rear quarterpanel, and a couple of very small blisters on the roof, I may take that to the Merc dealers to see what they say, I have almost a full MBSH with the car, so I will have to keep my fingers crossed I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom