Door cylinder lock removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
Hi i have seen the post by Mr Walker in the how to posts , on how i have to remove the barrel cylinder from the lock handle.Well for a start i can not turn the lock its because it is worn out .But after a little time it did turn , and i did move the barrel holder but it wont come out of the door.I had to a put it back in the end and finish i had been on it over1 hour. Any special trick i need to pull this out .:wallbash:

info

I know how to do it ,i have seen and read on the forum .But i wont go to plan . The car is W124 260 E you remove the second gromet down from the top,then screw the cap screw 9 turns ,then put your key in the lock barrel ,now this is the problem the key wont turn ,and this is why i want to remove it .When i did get it to turn it came 1/2 way out but no more.

All you can do is try some WD40, put the straw from the aerosol right into the lock barrel and give it a squirt, keep at it until you get the key to turn to where it is needed in order to extract the lock barrel from the door.

Pull the key out of the lock and then back in again in a rapid fashion , when you push the key into the lock, do it quickly and twist the key to the left at the same time, repeat this action for a minute, this may or may not help… don’t force the key.

What’s your plan when you get the lock barrel out?

Dec

operation

Dec i will strip it down and free up if is stuck , or replace the very small springs .And if need be remove the offending segment.This is untill it will turn .I did see a post on some forum about this.I will play again when it gets dry.But there again i have a major job with water pump replacement ,and this is more urgent at the moment. I have put this off for to long. New pump was deliverd yesterday [ Friday ] so i have no excuses now ,just thought i have sent for a tube of Hylomar Blue sealer.Pump maker said to apply a little on fitting the pump to the engine.

The probability with the lock problem is that it is a build up of dirt and or wear on the leavers inside the lock barbell, the small springs will not play any part in the problem unless the are obviously bent or damaged in some way.

When you dissemble the lock barrel, you can sand down the levers (Segments), this will reverse any wear which may have developed over the years.

There is a guide below, it’s for a W202 ignition lock but the same principle applies to a door lock barrel.
W202 Ignition key won’t turn past 1 or 2 - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

See also… Guide to disassembling and fixing lock barrels on a 190E (W201) - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Another solution to the problem is to swap over the passenger lock barrel to the driver side, as the passenger side lock is usually unused and so unworn, a swap over, if its possible in a W124, is as good as a new lock barrel.

There is no easy way around the issue of the lock removal, keep trying, at least it’s not urgent, your water pump is your priority now.

Dec

Yes

The probability with the lock problem is that it is a build up of dirt and or wear on the leavers inside the lock barbell, the small springs will not play any part in the problem unless the are obviously bent or damaged in some way.

When you dissemble the lock barrel, you can sand down the levers (Segments), this will reverse any wear which may have developed over the years.

There is a guide below, it’s for a W202 ignition lock but the same principle applies to a door lock barrel.
W202 Ignition key won’t turn past 1 or 2 - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

See also… Guide to disassembling and fixing lock barrels on a 190E (W201) - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Another solution to the problem is to swap over the passenger lock barrel to the driver side, as the passenger side lock is usually unused and so unworn, a swap over, if its possible in a W124, is as good as a new lock barrel.

There is no easy way around the issue of the lock removal, keep trying, at least it’s not urgent, your water pump is your priority now.

Dec
Your spot on ,i know i had seen it some place thanks.You made my day.

locks

Hi all .Just to say i pulled the passengers side door barrel out ,after a bit of playing about, with this key ,and that ,to get it open.I was lucky last week i was given the service key i have all three of the original keys now.It was the service key i used to open it.As i removed it it looked in good condition. So in to the operating room [garage] . I drifted out the roll pin makeing sure i had marked it all up,to help refiting back in to the housing.With the barrel out it was very clean as i expected after all the oil,i had squirted in , and i even put a gun cleaning spray in to it, to no avail.Well as i looked at the barrel i could see the problem. Four of the brass tumblers were sticking proud of the barrel .Two i could file down.But the other two i had to remove to inspect them . So i put tape around the other tumblers to stop them falling out after i pulled the key out.These two are that badly worn in the slot ,i left them out with the two springs removed .Refitted and working fine. Dont ask how i got it back in the barrel holder i dont know i spent 30 mins on this alone.:thumb: To you all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom