door handle led bulbs, have i just been unlucky ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tangey

Car
GLC250D
The nearside rear door handle illumination LED died within 3-4 weeks of me taking the car. Was replaced when the car went in for some other work. The front passenger door one died a couple of months later.

Isn't one of the selling points of LEDs supposed to be enhanced longevity over traditional bulbs ? Have I just been unlucky, or is it a bit of shaking going on causing loose connections ?

It's clearly not worth going to the dealer to get these fixed, as it's a 60 mile round trip. Are these easily replaced by a billy no-hands ?

This is also a common problem on the W205. I waiter until it went in for its A service. Wasn't worth a special journey for me.

Dealer quipped about how common the problem is.

Similar with mine, both offside lights packed up after two months then started working again! Now six months on all four are working but at noticeably different intensities, no idea how MB can c@ck up led technology so well, thank heavens the intelligent lights were designed by someone else I presume.

My neighbour tells me there are new bulbs, his ones kept blowing every few weeks or so. He reports the new issue ones are fine. The dealer should know the correct spec from bulletins?

My newer car is presumably fitted with the updated ones straight from the factory, as they seem OK.

It's not an easy job, quote labour intensive, but it will be covered under warranty. Don't attempt to do them yourself

Had all of mine replaced with updated units.

Mercedes are now on the 3rd supplier of these bulbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom