Door hinge advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thedruid

Car
e220 coupe, Kawasaki ZX10R and a chugging H/D 883 Sportster.
Good afternoon folks. I'm just after a bit of advice if possible. My car, 2012 e class coupe has a drivers door that refuses to stay open if the car is parked at anything over a few degrees nose uphill. As the passenger door is fine I'm guessing that it is wear and tear due to the drivers door being used more often than the passengers. Does anyone know if this can be fixed by tightening the hinge bolts or is it something that is here to stay. If it can be sorted by tightening the hinge bolts, does anyone have the correct torque figure for the bolts or is it a suck it and see operation.
Thanks, Dave.

Hmmm

I had a similar problem on my W213 E class but it was both the driver and front passenger doors. The rears were fine. It’s kinda developed over a few months but to the point where any sort of incline or slope and the doors close on your legs as you try to get out.
I’ve had it into Mercedes @ Stockport and they have replaced both bottom hinges on the front doors for a new improved design... for free.

MB clearly knew that this was an issue as I had no haggling and they told me that they’d had to do it for other owners too. Here’s a pic of the new hinge...

7C51F71F-6286-4D13-83DA-A2B703762B74.jpeg

Unrelated to this post, I noticed these hinges on my W205 today and thought they looked a bit beefy compared to other cars I’ve had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom