Door Locks (not Snazzy Computerised Jobbies!!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanB

Car
W210
Hi All

I hope I can glean some practical advice on an older MB!

My problem is my driver door lock is playing up. It will lock OK but cannot turn key the other way to unlock it so guess the tumbler is falling apart. I have tried plenty of oil but it is definitely shagged.

Now then - it so happens that following a recent error on behalf of the stealer when I ordered a replacement ignition switch tumbler to match the rest of the car and key, they fouled up and cutting a long story short, when the order was eventually satisfied I was provided with two matching tumblers for the price of one.

My question is - can I utilise this tumbler in the repair of my door lock or are they completely incompatible parts?

Finally any advice on how to proceed (if tumbler useful) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and patience...................and a Happy New Year!

NormanB

Last edited:
I suspect that they are totally incompatible parts but guess what you are not the only one in the knackered lock brigade - my drivers door lock gave up the ghost in exactly the same way this week :)

Am planning on taking a look at it this weekend and may well resort to switching the one from the passenger door as a temporary fix if the tumblers in the drivers lock are beyond repair.

Andy

Any temporary fix is going to be cheaper than the £175 for a lock set as I found out after changing the locks on the estate. BTW be prepared to have everything from your V5 to your Grand Mothers birth certificate, talk about strict :crazy:

Ian

I guess the £175 is for 3 locks plus ignition tumbler though. At worst I will only need 1 matched lock which after a short wait to be shipped from Germany should only damage me £50 max - or do you know different?

NormanB

NormanB said:
Ian

I guess the £175 is for 3 locks plus ignition tumbler though. At worst I will only need 1 matched lock which after a short wait to be shipped from Germany should only damage me £50 max - or do you know different?

NormanB
Complete sets come as :-

Ignition Lock
Boot lock
2 x Door locks
Glove box Lock
Thule carry box lock.

When getting a lock set state that it is for a RHD car as the glove box lock doesnt fit, but there is a way round it :D requires three dressmaking pins and blunt instrument.

Thanks to all.

Quote andyK :I suspect that they are totally incompatible parts but guess what you are not the only one in the knackered lock brigade - my drivers door lock gave up the ghost in exactly the same way this week
Unquote.

You were correct Andy. I took out the offending tumbler at the weekend and it is totally different to the ignition tumbler. A further strip revealed the problem when all the broken bits fell out! Ordered replacement via dealer - cost £55 (which includes a new key). Delivery promised 7 to 10 working days.

So I would say £175 is quite good value for a full lock set.

Not an exercise in talking to myself just closing the thread for for completeness.

Picked up the new matched door lock and a new key yesterday - so less than 5 working days and the cost............£64.46 in total (Ouch!)

Key £9.50
Key Lock £45.36
VAT £9.60

NormanB

NormanB said:
Not an exercise in talking to myself just closing the thread for for completeness.

Picked up the new matched door lock and a new key yesterday - so less than 5 working days and the cost............£64.46 in total (Ouch!)

Key £9.50
Key Lock £45.36
VAT £9.60

NormanB

ONE KEY???? Is that wise? :confused:

Hi Brian

No not one key.

This replacement tumbler was matched to the car (so existing key and spare fit it too) - I just ordered one new key because the original main key was getting a tadge smooth after 15 years of use - this has now been relegated to the role of strategic spare and will be left at my Mother-In Laws!!

NormanB

NormanB said:
Hi Brian

No not one key.

This replacement tumbler was matched to the car (so existing key and spare fit it too) - I just ordered one new key because the original main key was getting a tadge smooth after 15 years of use - this has now been relegated to the role of strategic spare and will be left at my Mother-In Laws!!

NormanB

Great - You had me concerned for a minute M8. :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom