Door mirror gremlin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flt.eng

Car
E320 avantgared
I was having a problem with my drivers door mirror (W211) with it set to auto fold. The turn & lock lght. stopped working along with a dash warning. Suspecting a broken wire,(which is a common fault) I eventually got round to attempt a repair. I followed all the advise on how to remove the cover & failed. I poked & prodded & in the end decided the next time it went in for service I would get the experts to show me how it was done.
Low & behold, I had taken the mirrors out of the auto fold setting & the next time I used the car the lghts worked & the dash warning went.
Where was that GREMLIN.

Broken wire where it hinges.

Your messing about has temporarily re-made the connection but it'll not last so still needs stripping and fixing.

Presuming this is a pre-facelift 211 poking and prodding is the problem. Insert screwdriver and gently twist.

Picture002.jpg

The 90deg bend in the clip just above the screwdriver tip is what retains the cover and is what you're trying to release.

Last edited:
The housing will release, just give it a good tug.

I had to resolder all my wires on the driver side wing mirror and now it works perfectly with no dash warnings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom