Door mirror lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr tibbs

Car
S211 E320 Estate
Hi all. Can anyone advise me how to lubricate the door mirrors on our 211 E320 55 reg please? When they are opening and closing they make a real cranky noise and I would like to sort it out.
TIA

Keith

Hi all. Can anyone advise me how to lubricate the door mirrors on our 211 E320 55 reg please? When they are opening and closing they make a real cranky noise and I would like to sort it out.
TIA

Keith

Hi Keith,

Mine did the same, just order any PTFE lubricant. Then spray the rubbers and mechanism generously.

It made mine quiet for a while, but the sound has come back now (a few months later)

This is the one I used: Everbuild P19SILSPRAY Plumbers Super Silicone Spray, Multi-Colour, 200 ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002HMW336/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Abs

I give mine a squirt of WD40

WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver“

Personally I would switch the auto inny outy mirror function as the wires will break sooner rather than later on a W211.

It will also attract dirt, dust, etc.
Silicone, Lithium or Molybdenum grease is better, as above.
Moly grease is black, so might look better on some black plastic; Silicone is clear, of course, so works everywhere.

Personally I would switch the auto inny outy mirror function as the wires will break sooner rather than later on a W211.

10000000% right, looking through the history the wires have been fixed 2 times on mine.

They are playing up again already, sometimes the passenger side mirror won’t move back up by itself (after moving downwards when reversing)

Im sure it’s the wire. Need to get that sorted.

10000000% right, looking through the history the wires have been fixed 2 times on mine.

They are playing up again already, had a star error for adjustment. Sometimes they passenger side won’t move back up following switching to drive after reversing. It’s the wire I’m sure. Need to get that sorted.
Or just leave them open all the time.

Or just leave them open all the time.

I would, but there are idiots who can’t drive down a road without smashing my mirror! :)

It will also attract dirt, dust, etc.
Silicone, Lithium or Molybdenum grease is better, as above.
Moly grease is black, so might look better on some black plastic; Silicone is clear, of course, so works everywhere.
I used dry PTFE lube as used on MTB chains, best for avoiding grit build up.

Id be a bit more careful with using lithium grease as most of them are petroleum based which can damage rubber parts/seals. Although the effect isn't immediate, overtime depending on the rubber type, it can prematurely deteriorate them and case other related issues as you find with rubber...

The best practice is to use a silicone based grease as it won't affect it and is rubber friendly, and if anything it will preserve/protect them as well which I use for many other applications and for my mirrors as I've got the same issue as well.

Silicon lubricant every time where rubber is involved or is within striking distance!

I have just done a power fold mirror rebuild and there is no rubber anywhere near the pivot point it's just a metal to metal set up, probably why they get so stiff, I used a smear of lithium grease on mine. I also repacked the gearbox with grease as it was bone dry.

I have just done a power fold mirror rebuild and there is no rubber anywhere near the pivot point it's just a metal to metal set up, probably why they get so stiff, I used a smear of lithium grease on mine. I also repacked the gearbox with grease as it was bone dry.

It’s different on a 211 to a 209. I’d know I have both :)

Yeah on the pre-facelift W211 the noise is usually caused by the rubber lip seal between the mirror housing and door frame which is where silicone grease is ideal for. For the rest of the mechanism inside I use a lithium based grease or oil as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom