Door speaker upgrade W163

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miggit

Car
2000 ML270CDI Manual
Hi all, slowly ironing out all the niggles with the new toy.... I have an Alpine unit installed in the car :rolleyes: double din all singing and dancing, and I still have the std speakers in the doors, well 3, the passenger NSR does not make a sound at all :eek: and the NSF is buzzing really well :eek::eek:

So I need some new speakers in the doors and a possible rewire of the NSR door to boot.... I have read that it's fairly simple to change the fronts with 6.5" and some speaker mount adapters, but there is little or no info on the rears. I did read some where that the front speakers will fit in the back doors, but the poster was very vague about the whole thing and didn't say if you had to hack the door about to get them to fit....Help!! Anyone?

Also has anyone used the Pioneer TS-G1732i or TS-G1733i ? and are they any good? they look to have a good bass response on paper, but does that reflect in real life?

I have some info for anyone thinking of replacing blown speakers or upgrading them.

Front speakers can be replaced with any 6.5" speakers and an adaptor mount, which are easy to get hold of...... Now try doing the same for the rear doors :eek:

Having tried to get a set of front speakers to fit the rear :wallbash:... I gave up :doh:

But digging around in my shed I found a set of JVC CS-V527 speakers
417PfGA0tmL._SX300_.jpg

And they are a perfect fit :bannana: I just removed the 4 screws that located the speaker in to the housing, popped the old speaker out and with a little bit of fiddling (they are tight) got the JVC's to fit and pick up the outer unused holes in the holder.

The JVC CS-V527 speakers are 13cm / 5.25", but they do have ears, a normal round chassis will not fit :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom