Doorlocks - Key entry DIFFicult- W124 '92

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ponton-Jetronic

Car
W124 200TE
Key will not go into the barrel / slot ie without being forced. Even one door key will NOT go in. W124 ' 92 un-garaged. Boot lock - key can be pushed in, but to turn is very heavy, very sticky. Have used WD40 - seems to give a short term improvement. Then tried Graphite powder - no avail it seems. Do the locks have to be removed ? ...or replaced . ? Thanks for any assistance .

try to get petrolum gelly from boots or else where and put on the key and push in and out for a while then twist usually it has is full of muck

otherwise get a key cut by mercedes or shops usually problem is solved

Thank you for this. Will take me 3 - 4 days now to fully test out. Then the key barrel will have a mixture of WD40 + graphite powder + vaseline inside. Also, what do I do about the one door where the Key will NOT go in fully ? [ even if 10 - 15lbs of force used . ]. Thanks dinoy

help

If you door handles are like mine on my w124 1989 you can remove the barrel in a few mins. It would be quicker if you google it for information .You have to open the door, and the midle screw of the three inside by the door catch it as a gromet over the hole ,you screw it out a number of turns .Put the key in and turn it to the rear of the car and at the same time open the door the key barrel will come out after a bit of playing with it .I see what i can find .I did mine but i had to file the tumblers to fit the barrel ,as they wear the wont clear the slot in the barrel holder. On my barrel i took two tumblers out to much play in them..,I will check it out see what i can find.

WD40 is pretty useless as a lubricant as it usually just runs off and only leaves a rather thin and easily dispersed coating, it also tends to dissolve any grease that may already be in the lock.

Petroleum jelly is not designed for this type of lubrication so I would try a grease from a spray can that you can direct into the lock assembly.

info

Ponton,thats one thing about having nowt to do .I have found it mate . Can you go to Google and print in the search box --

GIDE TO DIASSEMBLING AND FIXING LOCK BARRELS ON 190E .... Posted bY Top Cat
These are just the same . Hope it helps .I did this and i had to remove 2 segments.It works fine now.Print it off ,take pictures as you remove them so you will know how to put them back.I do think the key as to be turned in other direction for opposite door. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Remove the lock barrel as suggested and clean it with WD40, a 3mm or a 4mm allan key is required

See guide here… 124 Door Handle Lock Change Question - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

If the lock is worn, the levers (or tumblers) can be filed down to reverse the wear.
IGNh.jpg

Dec

thank you Optimus for reply of 26 dec, Will be getting around to it first avail chance, and will let you know ..

The best way i have found to clean locks is to remove the barrel and flush all the crap out of it by spraying brake cleaner through the keyhole. Once clean, let it dry then lubricate & refit

Quite often they spring back into life, but I have seen ones where the body has split, I assume through freezing

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom