Dorset Jurassic coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A250 Bennyboy

Car
A Class A250 w176
Hi all I'm off to Dorset for a week on the 21st.
Has anyone been in this neck of the woods.
Can you recommend any points of interest and is there any good coast roads to drive.
Plan on doing the cheddar gorge.
Thanks for any tips and info.
Cheers
Ben

If you are coming towards Dorset from the East via the M27, try to get to Poole and take the route to Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door via Wareham. Its a lovely drive and the views around Lulworth are brilliant. Another nice drive is from Poole across the Sandbanks car ferry and on the Swanage via Corfe Castle.Lulworth-Cove-and-Crumple_Gallery.jpg the-limestone-arch-of-durdle-door-near-lulworth-jurassic-coast-dorset-F1TEMR.jpg image3.jpeg 1200px-Corfe_Castle_and_Greyhound_Inn_Dorset_England.jpg

Was there a month ago. Lovely part of the country.

Lulworth Cove is nice as is Weymouth.

We stayed on Portland which was also nice.

Just noticed I posted a pretty old photo of the Sandbanks Ferry with a bus that went into the sea.
Google Sandbanks and you'll see more up to date photos of the area. Millionaires row its called for obvious reasons. Did a lot of worth there in the past.

A trip on the Swanage Railway is good, park up at Norden just outside of Corfe and take the train into the town.

The coastal/cliff top roads will give you fabulous views as you head west towards Lyme Regis. Places of interest would be Tyneham Village, taken over by the army during WW2, and abandoned ever since, and go for fish and chips at The Hive on Burton Bradstock beach. There is the Tank Museum at Bovington, with Monkey World literally the other side of the road, if that's your kind of thing. Personally, I'm looking forward to the day that they discover the Museum opposite and commandeer the tanks, but if you get bored waiting for that scenario, Lawrence of Arabia's house is not far, nor the spot where he had the accident that cost him his life. Weymouth, and Lyme Regis are worth a good look, and if you go inland, Shaftesbury is the home of Gold Hill, famous for the old Hovis ads. The Mitre did a good lunch last time I was there, with lovely views from the top of the hill.

I hope you get good weather, as everything looks better with a blue sky, especially the view from the road that takes you from Corfe Castle to the Studland - Sandbanks Ferry.

Thank you all very much for the information guys, got plenty to go at much appreciated I'll try and visit all the suggestion and places.
Cheers
Ben:D

Reactions: MD5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom