Double Chain breaker/riveter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

proser

Car
W210 E320Cdi Estate
Does anybody know where I can get a chain breaker/riveter for a double roller timing chain
I have seen a few on Ebay, but not sure whether they are suitable for a double row chain.

Have you measured the wear.? No point doing it if it's not worn.

Hi DM,

I have to strip down the same items to measure the wear, as I would in replacing the chain. So I am trying to make sure that I can get everything by the following day if the chain does need replacing, as I'd rather only strip it down the once.

Another thing that occured to me was that if there was some wear in the tensioner, whether that would give the symptons of a worn chain ?

How would you do that on this (320cdi) engine.

Set the timing at the crank (TDC) and see how far the markings on the cams are out.

Does anybody know where I can get a chain breaker/riveter for a double roller timing chain
I have seen a few on Ebay, but not sure whether they are suitable for a double row chain.

As with all chains, its often a lot easier to do this by hand than use one of these tools. Break the chain by using a grinder or preferably dremel on the rivets and manually peen them over on reassembly.

What makes you think your chain needs doing?

Last edited:
Set the timing at the crank (TDC) and see how far the markings on the cams are out.

Thanks, been doing a lot of reading up on the procdure for replacing the timing chain and setting timing etc yesterday.
But, as said, don't want to strip down to check the timing only to find it's out and not have things in place that I can do the job the following day. as then I'll be repeating most of the job if I have to re-assemble, to then start again to replace the chain :wallbash:

I really can't see the chain being the issue, as all the people I have spoken to have never done a chain on this engine and have never heard of one being done.
My local indie has never known it on this engine and is unwilling to quote for the job until he's had time to work out how long it'll potentually going to take. I have worked it out to be about 7-8 hours, and about 5 hours to check the timing though.

I presume your engine has variable inlet valve timing (I'm not really into diesels).

Could the timing actuator in front of the engine be seizing ?

It is electro/mechanical/hydraulic device on the petrol engines (104).

No timing adjustment, it doesn't rev high enough to require it, though it does adjust the length of the intake manifold by using flaps.

Forget about the chain if the engine runs.

I have had two snap in my garage but it is a rare occurance.

You have another problem. You NEED to get it on a Star asap and it will save you money in the long run. A Star will show up much more than normal fault code readers.

see update HERE

So I may well have to get the chain replaced :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom