'Double DIN' Mounting frame for Comand Unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul Grainger

Car
SL55, Porsche 996 C2 convertible
Does anyone know where I can purchase a 'double DIN' sized mounting frame for my Comand? The Comand is presently simply pushed (slid) into position in the aperture. It looks OK but I am concerned how easily it can be removed. I have tried Halfords etc, they all seem to stock the single DIN-E frame, but not the double size unit.
Where can I get one from? Has anybody else solved this issue another way?
Thanks
Paul

Im not sure what you mean. the clk apperture is double din - it sounds like you may be using an e class comand in the clk, so you dont have the correct latches on the side of the comand ..

I have a spare set of CLK/ML latches, but I paid quite a lot for them ..

Or, are you saying that you are unhappy with the standard MB way of fitting COMAND into the CLK ?

Cheers

R

You are correct when you say my Comand is an E Class model.
My CLK was originally fitted with an Audio 10 single din size unit, there was a cd holder underneath the Audio 10. I removed the Audio 10 and the cd holder, and removed (cut out) the seperator between the two apertures. I was left with a double sized aperture into which the Comand is a sliding fit.
The Audio 10 (like all properly installed single din audio units) was locked in position utilising a metal frame slightly larger than the radio, the frame was fixed to the aperture using 'bent-over tabs'. These single din frames (cages) are available from most car radio shops - I can't find a double sized frame, even from shops selling other double sized units.
I am not certain what the absolute differences between CLK and E Class comand units are. My stealer said that the inertial gyro unit was set at a different angle - but he didn't think it would cause a problem - he was correct & the nav system works perfectly. There may be other differences concerning how the unit is 'fixed' in position - I don't know what these differences are, a 'proper' clk comand may have been no better for me as my console was originally designed or Audio 10.
The only thing that I am not happy with is the ease in which the Comand can be removed. If the ashtray below the Comand is opened, the lower part of the Comand can be 'grabbed' and the whole unit simply pulled out - the whole operation including disconnection taking about 15 seconds.
If I can get hold of a double din sized frame, I can adapt the comand to 'lock' in position in such a way that removal is more difficult.
Or can anybody suggest any other ways to lock the unit in position?

Paul

I may have a spare set of latches for your COMAND, let me have a search for them. These are the little right angled lugs that screw into each side of your COMAND

I have a pair of screw-on clips on my desk, they are for the ML comand. Be careful with them, if you use the wrong clips not only will comand not "fall out" anymore, it won't come out with the keys either, we had some problems fitting a comand to a w208 CLK because of this. My comand was held into the dashboard by gravity and friction, we put some sticky-backed foam strips in various places to make sure it sat correctly in the dash and didn't "fall out".

I still managed to take it out of the dash in 30 seconds with the help of a screwdriver, I was NOT going to let the comand unit go to the crusher with the rest of the car!

Originally posted by Shude
I have a pair of screw-on clips on my desk, they are for the ML comand. Be careful with them, if you use the wrong clips not only will comand not "fall out" anymore, it won't come out with the keys either, we had some problems fitting a comand to a w208 CLK because of this. My comand was held into the dashboard by gravity and friction, we put some sticky-backed foam strips in various places to make sure it sat correctly in the dash and didn't "fall out".

I still managed to take it out of the dash in 30 seconds with the help of a screwdriver, I was NOT going to let the comand unit go to the crusher with the rest of the car!

You did a good test to see if it would come out unintentionally too :p

Thanks for you help.

I have two small right-angle lugs, these were fitted to the comand when I recieved it. I removed them (and put them in a safe place) because I could not see how the comand could 'slide into the aperture' if they were fitted.

I suspect that part of the problem is probably due to the fact that the console of my car was designed for Audio 10 plus cubby box / cd holder. I now have a square aperture with all four internal sides present. This makes for a great sliding fit for the comand, but there is nowhere for the small lugs, or anything else of that type without further cutting and carving.

I had already considered doubled sided sticky strips - these look like being the best option. I still, however, am amazed that all of the the car hi-fi shops that I have contacted only sell single din-E mounting cages. They sell double din audio units, but just look blankly when you ask for a double din mounting cage.

Again, thanks for your suggestions

Paul

Originally posted by Paul Grainger
I still, however, am amazed that all of the the car hi-fi shops that I have contacted only sell single din-E mounting cages. They sell double din audio units, but just look blankly when you ask for a double din mounting cage.
Tried the stealership?

The lugs you took off are the E class mounting which fits on some support inside the dash. In the CLK, the COMAND has different clips that work in a similar way to the Audio 10 system.

They screw onto the COMAND with 2 screws each (same screws as the lugs you took off for the E class, so I hope you kept the screws).

I have the right CLK/ML fixing clips (they clip against the plastic dash board surround, no special frame needed). They cost me about 23 Euros per set

Cheers

R

Originally posted by richard

I have the right CLK/ML fixing clips (they clip against the plastic dash board surround, no special frame needed). They cost me about 23 Euros per set

Hi Richard

I'm still waiting for a set of those rascals from Germany to fit an E class comand (with canbus adapter) into my ML. Where did you get yours?? did they take long to arrive???

ps any info on those config readings I emailed you??

cheers

steve

Hi

I got mine from some guy on Ebay - I bought 4 sets - I sent him cash in the post (too hard to send euros any other way) and it took about 2 weeks all in all (from when I sent, to when the bits arrived)

Ive forgotten about the config readings - sorry - please remind me :-(

R

I've sent you an email re config - no probs!

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom