double din stereo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

satumashirt611

Car
mercedes e220
can a double din stereo be fitted in my w124 if i removed the ashtray area below the normal radio slot.i know there would be cutting involved but dont know whats behind the ashtray and how difficult it would be..looks a bit tight as it narrows but maybe someone here done it before.thinkit would look nice.

I dont think there is room for it. You could try one of those with a motorised screen if you want a large display satnav thing. Otherwise find a used Becker unit off e-bay. They look really classy in a 124 and give a great sound.

It may fit at the front, but there may not be enough depth. I'm sure it's doable...but why...the screen would be very low.

it can be done:

IMG_4736.jpg

the SRS unit needs to be unbolted and moved back a little to make it fit.

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

thats nice,kinda what im after,i dont like the flip up screen ones much and always wanted a double din with touchscreen and probably reverseing camera,some nice ones on ebay,was it dificult to do?

its easy to do, just be careful when removing the stuff so you dont damage the trim.

only hard bit is getting surrounding trim to look good.

the photo above its not the best and i've since make a new surround. I found making the trim out of very hard polystyrene is easiest as it can be cut easy, stays ridgid and is strong.

have decided not to go this route.going to get single din with motorised screen because theres less work involved and no cutting.not that keen on them though.
thanks everyone who replied

Was in Halfrauds yesterday, they got the Sony haf price. 300 somethinginstead of 700, sound good.

im in ireland,sales not as good over here,halfords have a single din motorised screen with dvd,bluetooth etc for 249 euro and it looks nice.not sure though,have been tempted by 18 inch amg replica alloys so i might buy them instead.not sure as have to fix few small problems with car first.have to fix n10 relay problem and sort out propshaft judder if i have time this week.

its easy to do, just be careful when removing the stuff so you dont damage the trim.

only hard bit is getting surrounding trim to look good.

the photo above its not the best and i've since make a new surround. I found making the trim out of very hard polystyrene is easiest as it can be cut easy, stays ridgid and is strong.

i was just wondering where you do get the replacement part of the trim or do you just make it yourself? thanks

i was just wondering where you do get the replacement part of the trim or do you just make it yourself? thanks

Make it yourself...w124 never had a double din fitted from the factory.

yes you need to make it yourself, unless you want to buy the rare and hiddiously ugly doubledin taxi centre console trim from german ebay.

use some polystyrene boarding to make it and buy a 2nd hand B pillar trim (cheap!) from ebay to take off the vinyl and retrim it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom