Double Garage Door to Paint.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had considered this. That way I could have any car I want on my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Did you see that picture of the garage where someone decorated it to look like a supercar?

ChrisEdu said:
Did you see that picture of the garage where someone decorated it to look like a supercar?
I'd rather not. I could have a giant picture of my face with a nice twinkle star on my teeth. Tastefully done obviously

2199402-windy_miller3.jpg

Can i just say thanks to all for this thread. It really is what forums are all about and during a bad day at work it has made me laugh out loud in the office!!

Good luck Bruce. For what its worth, i just went down the new door route. Wife happy.(although not sure she knows how much it cost.)

Ive two back doors & two side sliding doors on my van. Behind each door is a selection of many different tools.

Wondering if I took a photo of what's behind each door, then have the photo enlarged and printed on each door? This way I'd know exactly which tools are where without opening doors. :dk:

............maybe not. :wallbash:

Regarding prep unless it's chipped like paper (like the joke there? lol) you shouldn't need any undercoat or sanding, one coat will be fine but you'll need to experiment with which paint you use

Do small test patches, these will come off with a rub of a tag. Check out the look of it (yes I know it won't dry as its a test patch but you'll get the jist)

As mentioned above the direction of the door will effect the paint finish in the long term

Time you do it, surprisingly a hot summers day isn't the best time to paint anything externally on a house but as its not masonry or render then a mild dry day should be sweet

I'd still advise to use a brush though, foam rollers are okay but on metal you'll find yourself slipping and bodging up the finish, that or uneven bits everywhere

.... You could always plasti-dip it, just a thought!

Happytalk73 said:
Don't be silly Ash, Bruce will OBVIOUSLY be painting the door in its 'open' position therefor drips will not be a concern! :D

Lol he could always remove the door and lay it down on the floor and paint it on his knees

I've actually seen someone try this :eek:

Every time I look at my door and its plea for paint (22 years and the original paint is looking a bit sad), I think I'm going to follow my daughter's lead and just have it replaced with a motorised roller one - a double width is about £1500 apparently, which sounds a lot but when compared to the ridiculous cost of double glazing for example, isn't too bad. Nice powder-coated finish in a range of shades, a teeny bit of insulation in each slat, no draughts around the outside so a warmer garage and room above - definitely worth considering. Shame I spent all my dosh on the car.

Every time I look at my door and its plea for paint (22 years and the original paint is looking a bit sad), I think I'm going to follow my daughter's lead and just have it replaced with a motorised roller one - a double width is about £1500 apparently, which sounds a lot but when compared to the ridiculous cost of double glazing for example, isn't too bad. Nice powder-coated finish in a range of shades, a teeny bit of insulation in each slat, no draughts around the outside so a warmer garage and room above - definitely worth considering. Shame I spent all my dosh on the car.

Yes, makes sense I guess. Hormann sectional doors are great quality. I have mine serviced annually for £50. Grease, oil and tensioned. Runs like a dream all year round.

However, sometimes houses are like the forth bridge. There's always something to spend money on. Just a matter on what's priority I guess.

Ant.

Maybe I could paint my neighbours wife. She'd look great in gloss. Rubbing her down would be a chore worth enduring.

I'm going to take the prep & brush advice from here. On the door that is.

Thank you to all for the suggestions.

Great post Bruce - so much better than the usual stuff and made me laugh too. Tyvm.

Oh and my other tip - once painted and properly cured, look after it properly by treating it to some car wax now and again. Just cheap stuff like TurtleWax or something.

Protects it and stops the paint going dull.

S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom