Double glazing problem - has anyone ever seen this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bobby Dazzler said:
Would it be less noticeable if the glass was tinted?

I was under the impression that most mercs come "factory standard" tinted...

2000 (w215) - I may take a photo and post on here but my ability to post pictures in the past hasn't gone smoothly!

Same age as mine then. Hmmm

MB have responded to my concerns over the double glazing problem as a safety issue by declining to replace the glass and suggesting I contact my insurance company.

My insurance covers me for damage to windows but I'm not clear if this constitutes damage. A friend in the insurance industry did advise me to contact them as they should cover it if is a safety issue.

to mind, side windows fogging up as result of the double glazing coming unstuck (and as the double-glazing on the rear door on my house has) is a safety concern.

I'll keep you posted.

STOP PRESS - just heard of someone in Greece who is having his windows replaced by MB, probably as a goodwill measure.

Any news????

As i stated in my previous post, i took out an extended MB warranty on my CL55 but this warranty doesnt cover glass. However MB agreed to contribute 50% of the parts and labour as a good-will gesture. I argued that the car was only out of the manufacturers warranty by 3 months and if they acknowledged that there was a fault (enough to make a contribution)then they really should have supported the full cost.!!!

Looks like a case of double standards to me as they flatly refused even when i tried to escalate the issue to a senior customer care manager.

Anyone else had any luck getting MB to accept that there is clearly a problem?

As i stated in my previous post, i took out an extended MB warranty on my CL55 but this warranty doesnt cover glass.
Sorry to hear about the claim,
Is this the latest Mercedes-Benz Service Plus Warranty? I ask this because it states it covers wear and tear items.

Good luck with the claim,
John

Sorry to hear about the claim,
Is this the latest Mercedes-Benz Service Plus Warranty? I ask this because it states it covers wear and tear items.

Good luck with the claim,
John

Not sure I'd include vehicle glazing as wear and tear. Windows don't normally wear out,..do they?:confused:

Not sure I'd include vehicle glazing as wear and tear. Windows don't normally wear out,..do they?:confused:
No they don't, but we are talking about a double glazed unit with a defective seal? Quite clearly there is something in these double glazed units that is 'wearing out'. If this is a Service Plus warranty, I would be knocking at the reception door. Should this warranty cover replacement windshields? No, it should not. Should this warranty replace the seal holding a windscreen in place IF this seal has deteriorated through wear and tear? Has the double glazing deteriorated through a damaged windscreen, or has it been caused by defective sealing? We encourage members to make claims against Mobilo, when they do not comply with the terms and conditions; yet here we have the flagship model that is also suffering a corrosive reaction?

IF, if you have a service PLUS warranty, then in my humble opinion you have NOTHING to loose by asking. Don't ask and you will not be turned down. :) :)

John the optimist

I've sent DC Customer Assistance the VIN number of the CL500 that has been repaired, AFAIK under warranty, to see why this car has been repaired and they are declining to repair mine. I await their reply with interest.

I've sent DC Customer Assistance the VIN number of the CL500 that has been repaired, AFAIK under warranty, to see why this car has been repaired and they are declining to repair mine. I await their reply with interest.
Well done, do you have the Service Plus warranty?

Regards,
John

No. I'm currently having body perforations repaired under Mobilo Life and my colleague has had his windows replaced under the same.

Extended warranty

The warranty i have is a normal extended warranty from MB. Dont think this is the Service plus version!!

The MB warranty booklet that i have just says "glass" is excluded as well as the normal wear and tear items of course.

I would be very interested to see if they agree to pay!!!!

Indeed, customer service pointed out to me that glass is excluded, for obvious reasons. However, in this case it is not the glass that is the problem, it is the glue holding the two pieces of glass in place.

I am given to understand by my colleague that there are two suppliers of this double-glazed glass, Pilkington and St Gobain. The Pilkington glass has a tendency for the glue to crack as the glass flexes, leading to breaks in the double-glazing seal that cause the clouding I am seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom