Double Glazing Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzer

Car
Disco and E250 Cab
I'm sure at some point in my life, I was told that having wooden double glazed windows was better than UPVC from an aesthetic / snobbery point of view, not necessarily from an efficiency point of view.

The house we bought about 7 years ago has them, hundreds of them, split into little panes by more wood - looks quaint, but is now looking tired and needs re-painting.

So, do I accept that every 5 years or so, I'm going to have to shell out £2.5k to get them painted, or do I bite the bullet and replace with UPVC for £???. And before anyone says "Paint it yourself you lazy bugg3r" I dont have any holiday left this year and don't want to go through another winter without having taken action.

What I'm most concerned about is, in years to come hearing a prospective buyer saying "Nice house, nice location, but for the price I would have expected wooden windows".

Thoughts anyone ?

Any estate agents on here who can give me a seller's view ?

Is the house part on a conservation area or perhaps has some other binding reason for wooden windows?

BTB thanks for that, the first link was what I needed, will get mateyboy back and press £2500 into his palm to sort out the existing woodwork.

I wouldn't - £2500 every five years :eek:.

Modern uPVC windows are better than older types of uPVC.

Also, if your current windows are hundreds of panes, I doubt they will all get proper prep and paint cut in throughout.

What airgap do your windows have re insulation properties.

Then there's the security issue - modern internally beaded uPVC have modern security measures.

I wouldn't decide not to buy a desirable property come sale time just because the windows were uPVC.

Having said all of the above, are there other reasons why the wooden ones should be left alone - house style etc?

Got any piccies?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if the timber frames really suit the property and are pristine for future viewings I doubt the thought of aftercare will pop up as your average buyer will be more worried about what style furniture you have instead! :crazy:

I thought it was just us thought that. Furniture, wall coverings and light fittings you won't be leaving behind.

In my view a quality set of uPVC windows wouldn't detract at all from your style of property. To me it's a modern property that isn't calling for wood to maintain a certain character.

When my window cleaner does his stuff he cleans the frames too and being uPVC they gleam afterwards.

Also, you may be surprised with the replacement cost - flat windows are reasonable - it's bays that cost money.

Last edited:
You can but wood effect upvc windows and doors that look the part..

For your style of house, and it's age, go for uPVC.

The glazing bars will be fitted inside the glass units which makes cleaning and maintenance so easy compared to what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom