Double underlined links???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
Why are all sorts of things suddenly being double underlined on my computer. They link to stuff even when I dont want a link. ..............most importantly how do I turn it off?

Nothing under internet options? Any font settings set to b underlined? Think u can set it somewhere obvious-ish.

From NetLingo

double-underlined links
a.k.a. IntelliTXT

A form of text-based online advertising, double-underlined links are ad media that are meant to be relevant and unobtrusive. The technology is called IntelliTXT and the way it works is this: the double-underlined links scan each page for appropriate keywords and contextual relevancy. The keywords are pre-chosen by the online publisher to be relevant to the site. If a match is found, a clearly visible advertising link (usually indicated by a green or yellow double underline) is auto-generated. When you hover your mouse over this type of link, a small pop-up box will appear with the sponsored ad information in it. If you don't "scroll over" or click on a link, your reading experience is uninterrupted.

Double-underlined links make use of server-side technology, meaning it resides within the online publisher's Web site. This is meaningful because unlike cookies, no code or information is passed to your computer, and therefore it does not compromise your privacy. If you use a browser prior to Internet Explorer 5.0, Netscape 7.2, or Firefox 0.8 or later, you won't see IntelliTXT links.

see also: contextual-based advertising
NetLingo Classification: Online Marketing

Cheers

Cheers Flyer so basically I cant get rid of them?!

R2D2 said:
Cheers Flyer so basically I cant get rid of them?!
Get Firefox or Opera - not seen them in either :)

Give me a link to a page that has them and I'll let you know if they show up in either of the two browsers, but wouldn't expect them to.

lots of pages on here. Pammys signature say "<a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=black%20leather" onmouseover="window.status='black leather'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">black leather</a>" others say " <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=automatic%20transmission" onmouseover="window.status='automatic transmission'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">automatic transmission</a>" and so ....

EDit : now this post does on my browers:(

Then get thee to Firefox or Opera . Personally, I prefer Opera, but am currently using Firefox as some sites have a problem with Opera. I only use IE for testing my sites (and NatWest Banking) now.

Those links are not showing for me on Firefox.

Sounds to me like you've got some spyware resident. You could try Spybot or AdAware to cleanse.

Right I've run adaware and removed 18 data mines but the links are still underlined!

R2D2 said:
Right I've run adaware and removed 18 data mines but the links are still underlined!

If you are familiar with the processes running when you run Task Manager (ctrl+alt+delete) have a look to see if anything dodgy looking is running (e.g. something like zrywy.exe). If so, stop that process and watch to see if it comes back to life under a similar name.

If you have something like that, reboot in safe mode, empty the folder c:\windows\prefetch, look for and delete the dodgy .exe file in c:\windows\system32 then reboot. It is also worth running msconfig (start, run, msconfig) and unticking anything in startup which you don't need.

If you don't fancy all that, do the Task Manager bit and search Google* for the offending file. You will probably find removal instructions that way.

*Flyer's done that bit for you below!

Last edited:
Greg, have a look here, see if that shed some light on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom