[doubt] Self leveling suspension - W201.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuga28

Car
Mercedes E220CDI (S211) 2005; Mercedes 190D 2.0 1989; VW Eos 1.4 TSI Bluemotion 2011
Hi.
Just bought a 190E 2.3-16 for parts that I'm just going to keep the mechanics and engine electronics of it. I had a proposal to sell the self leveling suspension, that is going to be placed in a 190D 2.5turbo. The guy also wants the electronics of the self leveling mechanism, can anybody help me locate it, if there's really one?
Best regards.

Last edited:
It's a mechanical/hydraulic system.

There are no electronics - it's a hydraulic system. ASD which is included in the SLS hydraulic system has some electronics but was only fitted to later 2.3-16s as an option - you haven't mentioned it so I guess you don't have it?

He'll need the rear struts, springs, self-levelling control valve that attaches to the rear ARB, the pressure accumulators ('spheres') and the pipework from the rear of the car to the front.

Under the bonnet the radial pump and the fluid reservoir. I'm not sure how this will work for a diesel though - it's driven off the exhaust cam on the 16v. I think the 8v M102 could have SLS as an option so there's hope. Maybe if not a tandem pump could be fitted such as used by the W124 etc.

To be honest though this is a great deal of hassle for what will be a load of old/tired suspension bits. The springs and accumulators will be past their best unless recently replaced. I wouldn't recommend this swap.

Actually I know that the shop where this swap is supposed to be made used to remove this kind of self leveling suspension from the diesel 190s that had them. Don't know if they ever made the opposite. This is an 86 2.3-16, and seems there used to be a switch to change the height of the suspension in the interior of the car, but to be honest I've never seen such switch. All I know is that it works without it. Thank you very much for the help. As soon as I have news about my project, I'll post a new thread about it.

Actually I know that the shop where this swap is supposed to be made used to remove this kind of self leveling suspension from the diesel 190s that had them. Don't know if they ever made the opposite. This is an 86 2.3-16, and seems there used to be a switch to change the height of the suspension in the interior of the car, but to be honest I've never seen such switch. All I know is that it works without it. Thank you very much for the help. As soon as I have news about my project, I'll post a new thread about it.

So you are saying that your car has front and rear, height adjustable SLS?

Please can you post a photo of under the bonnet or the front suspension?

This was a very rare option that we didn't get in the UK. They did use this setup on the evolution (I and II) 2.5-16 models. I understood it to be an option on some other 16v cars abroad but would be very surprised to see it on a 1986 car.

s164z.jpg

Actually the car used to have a evo2 body kit, but even so I don't think it was ever an evo2. Originally was bought in Switzerland, but someone brought it to Portugal and started to dismantle it. I just bought the mechanics, but the guy gave me the rest...

That's got front and rear SLS, extremely rare - maybe worth pulling the datacard to see if it's original or not.

Tomorrow I'll check the VIN. Anyway, most 2.3-16 I've seen around here have them both SLS.

Actually I want to keep regular suspension, because later on I want to upgrade it to track related suspension, as it was my original intention.

Tomorrow I'll check the VIN. Anyway, most 2.3-16 I've seen around here have them both SLS.

Only I reason I asked is because much of the car is already non-original, ie the 'Evo-II' body conversion, etc.

FWIW, I saw Senna's original 2.3-16 race car just last week.

It was largely standard and retained the hydraulic SLS system :cool:

I know, but anyway seems to be working fine. I read that from 1985 forward was an optional

Mercedes 190E 2.3-16

But only checking threw the VIN I'll be sure.

A hydraulic suspension system will knock spots off metal springs and dampers for racing use as the gas spring has no resonant frequency, doesn't expand beyond it's original volume and has infinitely variable rising spring rate depending on volume.

In other words; Keep the SLS for a track car...!!

Watch this monster get the power down. There is a reason hydro-pneumatic suspension was banned in F1..it was seen to give an unfair advantage.

[YOUTUBE]aVYT7Hkpv3k[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
But won't this be worse in terms of weight and long term problems?

Hydraulic suspension systems are generally reliable, most issues are leaks due to rusty pipes.
There is a slight weight penalty, but the benefits are significant, the system is easier to tune than springs and dampers, you just fit different spheres or alter the gas pressure to adjust spring rate.

No way would I fit metal springs in place of hydro-pneumatic suspension.

Did you watch the video? Look how the wheels are glued to the surface without any pattering, whereas the other cars are juddering, hence can't get traction.

A hydraulic suspension system will knock spots off metal springs and dampers for racing use as the gas spring has no resonant frequency, doesn't expand beyond it's original volume and has infinitely variable rising spring rate depending on volume.

In other words; Keep the SLS for a track car...!!

Watch this monster get the power down. There is a reason hydro-pneumatic suspension was banned in F1..it was seen to give an unfair advantage.

[YOUTUBE]aVYT7Hkpv3k[/YOUTUBE]
Merc use metal springs as well though!

But I agree, the SLS setup is very good when it's functioning as it should. It was after all fitted as standard to the Evolution I and II models.

Merc use metal springs as well though!

They use softer metal springs as static ride height retainers. The damping is a function of the gas sphere so can be less stiff than regular dampers for stronger metal springs and still give better wheel control.

I really like the characteristics of hydro-pneumatic suspension.

Worth seeing but still have to think it through a little bit better. Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom