Downside to replica alloys?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ukslk

Hi

I am curious as to what the downsides are to purchasing replica alloys? What exactly would cause them to be worse then originals from mercedes.

Thanks

Well for a start, because they are not OEM the use of replica's will increase your insurance premium.

It'll be harder to find a set of staggered AMG reps , as usually you have to order 4 of the same wheels when purchase reps, you cant buy 2 x 7J on the front and 2 x 8.5 on the back, but originals come like that anyway.....

Other than that and the AMG engraving, i don't think there's much IMHO..

Others will see differently, and only ever buy OEM, but if , like me, you want the look but just can't afford it then reps are the way to go ....

Good luck

H

Not a lot really. Some are a bit tacky but others really good. Remember MBs own wheels have a habbit of losing their lacquer:( Some prefer the car to look original (me included) and some insurance companies charge you extra for non standard wheels.

Sp!ke said:
Well for a start, because they are not OEM the use of replica's will increase your insurance premium.

That depends a bit on the company. E.g. Direct Line didn't care what make or size the wheels on my R129 were, just that they were no longer 'factory standard' for the model / year.

They are never complete copies, they will always differ slightly to the untrained eye.

For example, I have AMG style II's fitted, and my brother has the same but reps, his have slightly different curves etc.

I guess this is down to copyrights

Last edited:
I've seen replicas on market that even have the proper AMG logos engraged/stamped just like on the OEMs. Some say that some replicas are not as strong/durbale as OEMs and are vulnerable to becoming bent/damaged from the basic pot holes in compariosn to OEMs which would not...

It was that they might not be as strong/durable that concerned me, as I had heard the same but now can't even remember where I heard it. Does anybody have experience with this issue? Is it really true?? or just something that comes from people lucky enough to be able to afford originals as a sort of put down.

If they didn't reach a certain spec. they wouldn't be allowed on sale.....

Aluminium is aluminium, the price varies slightly, but not much, there would be no cost benefit really of company A (reps) using a softer alloy than company B (amg), it would just get them a bad name and put them out of business, so what would be the point....

Karl, the wheels in your signature piccy aren't Styling II's :confused: and it says in your signature that they are Styling I's

By the way , my styling II reps have never de-lacquered , but i know plenty of people with proper Styling II's whose have de-lacquered , so maybe its not all about price..... ;)

Last edited:
Howard said:
If they didn't reach a certain spec. they wouldn't be allowed on sale.....

Aluminium is aluminium

um - sooooooooo NO - :eek: :eek:

Major Alloying Element

Wrought

Cast

None (99%+ Aluminium)

1XXX Copper

2XXX Manganese

3XXX Silicon

4XXX Magnesium

5XXX Magnesium + Silicon

6XXX Zinc

7XXX Lithium

8XXX Unused

Table 3. Some common aluminium alloys, their characteristics and common uses.

Form

1050/1200

Good formability, weldability and corrosion resistance

Food and chemical industry.

2014A
Heat treatable.

High strength.

Non-weldable.

Poor corrosion reistance.

Airframes.
3103/3003
Non-heat treatable.
Medium strength work hardening alloy.
Good weldability, formability and corrosion resistance.
Vehicle panelling, structures exposed to marine atmospsheres, mine cage

5251/5052
Non-heat treatable.
Medium strength work hardening alloy.
Good weldability, formability and corrosion resistance.
Vehicle panelling, structures exposed to marine atmospsheres, mine cages.

5454*
Non-heat treatable.
Used at temperatures from 65-200°C.
Good weldability and corrosion resistance.
Pressure vessels and road tankers. Transport of ammonium nitrate, petroleum.
Chemical plants.

5083*/5182
Non-heat treatable.
Very resistant to sea water, industrial atmospheres.
A superior alloy for cryogenic use (in annealed condition)
Pressure vessels and road transport applications below 65°C.
Ship building structure in general.

6063*
Heat treatable.
Medium strength alloy.
sed for intricate profiles.
Architectural extrusions (internal and external), window frames, irrigation pipes.

6061*/6082*
Heat treatable.
Medium strength alloy.
Stressed structural members, bridges, cranes, roof trusses, beer barrels.

6005A
Heat treatable.
Properties very similar to 6082.
Preferable as air quenchable, therefore has less distortion problems.
Not notch sensitive.
Thin walled wide extrusions.

Heat treatable.
Age hardens naturally therefore will recover properties in heat affected zone after welding.
Susceptible to stress corrosion.
Good ballistic deterrent properties.
Armoured vehicles, military bridges, motor cycle and bicycle frames.

Heat treatable.
Very high strength.
Non-weldable.
Poor corrosion resistance.
Airframes.

sorry..................... :eek:

Last edited:
zzz.gif

:)

Hmmmmm - ok - seems too much to be bothered to read but i'll take your word on it....

If they didn't reach a certain standard , would they be able to sell them ? obviously if you make wheels out of old tizer cans, they are going to fall apart aren't they ?

I'm sure all wheel manufacturers know what sort of alloy to use, so what would be the point of using a different one ?

I noted with replica wheels the car didn't ride the same as with OEM wheels. I had a set of AMG replicas and replaced them with original ones and for some reason the car drove alot better, not as harsh. The tyres were the same and were removed from one set and put on the new ones. The wheel sizes were identical so can't put it to anything else. On this experience i personally don't buy replicas anymore.

Another thing is the replicas get damaged alot easier, light brush with the kerb takes little chunks out!

KLP 92 said:
I noted with replica wheels the car didn't ride the same as with OEM wheels. I had a set of AMG replicas and replaced them with original ones and for some reason the car drove alot better, not as harsh. The tyres were the same and were removed from one set and put on the new ones. The wheel sizes were identical so can't put it to anything else. On this experience i personally don't buy replicas anymore.

Another thing is the replicas get damaged alot easier, light brush with the kerb takes little chunks out!

So did they have an identical offset, and where they properly balanced? Little differences like this can be a factor.

And who makes Mercedes and AMG wheels? AMG exhausts seem to be manufactured by Sebring, so I guess they commission someone to make their wheels.

My previous car, a 406 coupe had Peugeot wheels, but these were made by BBS. An I had a set of wheels custom made up by a bespoke manufacturer for my MR2 turbo. These weren't cheap, but because they were so light they did not take too kindly to kerbing. So it does not necessarily follow that wheels that kerb easily are not of good quality.

IMO there will be both good and bad replicas. Personally I would rather either an OE wheel or one from a manufacturer with a reputation - that as opposed to say opting for a wheel simply because it is an AMG copy. But if there were others that could vouch for a particular replica, then I'd be quite happy to go with it.

Fady said:
And who makes Mercedes and AMG wheels?

Many companies, I suspect. IIRC the very expensive AMG 3 piece wheels are made by BBS. The M-B Ceginus alloys on my R129 are stamped 'made in Italy'.

Howard, when it comes to quality etc of replica wheels, I think it is along the same lines as Tommy Hilfiger(AMG) and the likes of Primark (reps).

Both use cotton in their polo shirts, but the tommy hilfiger is of better quality.
I understand what u mean about having to comply to some sort of standard.
however, i think it is like the old argument between people who pay £80 for a black t-shirt when you can buy one for £10.

Some people are just pedantic about quality, and always want to pay more just to be sure.

I have also noticed though that AMG wheels do differ slightly from non AMG ones.
If you look at audi RS6 alloys and compare them to the replica ones, the real ones just look a lot better.

Yes i suppose it does...

I however do not shop in Primark, and yet i have a set of reps......

I think i can appreciate what you are trying to say, but it hasn't come across very well, seems like a bit of an insult ......

So to sum up your point :- If you have reps you are a loser who shops in Primark and if you have AMG's you shop in Tommy Hilfiger (dubious in itself) :confused:

Ha Ha - cost doesn't equal quality all the time mate - i think you may have been brainwashed...

Howard - think you're being a bit touchy there mate - g-wagon's post doesn't come across that way to me! (but I have been known to have a thick skin)

Think the TH/Primark example is pretty good - at the end of the day you get what you pay for and you do get better quality for more money - it's just that you do pay through the nose for the name & the main differential in price is not generated from materials/manufacturing but branding costs. So you end up paying 8 times the price for something costing 1.5 to 2 times more (materials costs).

Of course, this all enters a slightly different arena when you're talking about safety issues over just image.

This is coming from somebody who shops at Primark, Matalan, Netto and TK Max to name a few (have to be able to afford the fuel somehow! ;) :D )

Last edited:
I had to decide when I got some wheels for my quantum did I want to get a well known brand or cheapies.
The first set I got were a well known brand and after a couple of outings to track days I found that a couple had become damaged. (buckled) :confused: :crazy:
After doing a bit of research on the net I found I wasn't the only person who was starting to think that the (more expensive well known brand) wheels were a bit on the soft side. :(

I replaced them with a cheap set of chinese made alloy wheels that have had far more abuse than the first set and apart from a few chips and marks have lasted well. :)
The casting is not of the same quality as some of the better makes but I am very happy with them. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom