Downside to replica alloys?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recently spoke to the largest commissioner of replica wheels in the UK and he explained the process used to create a wheel.
I have only had time to skim over this thread, but I think what is relevant is that replica wheels may be produced in the same factory, but not to the same quality standards, checking standards, finishing standards. The whole point of a replica wheel is that it should come to market far cheaper than the original. They are usually heavier on a like-for-like comparison because the resellers so not enjoy the same level of insurance that DCUK do. A great many replica wheels are now being made in China, but no oem wheels are currently made there.
Not quite sure what else is helpful... We only sell genuine wheels for many reasons..

Murray Systems said:
IThey are usually heavier on a like-for-like comparison ...
As a matter of interest does anyone know how much an AMG wheel weighs (7.5x17 et35) this design..
amg-monoblock-performance-wheels.jpg

I have a spare replica in the garage for comparison.

Sorry Howard, wasnt meaning to insult you or anything. I was kinda trying to get across the point of higher quality = higher price. Dont think i managed that too well though.
However, when I first saw your alloys, I actually thought they were oem. I had no idea they were reps.
Im just going by what i am presuming, and im presuming a more expenisive wheel SHOULD be better quality than a lesser priced one. And i think everyone would agree with that for most things in life.
Also, im sure for that everyday driving reps are fine, MAYBE oem's come into their own when on a demanding track or somehting. this i do not know though.

Sorry for any offence caused.

So where is a good place in the North West to get some OEM AMG wheels then, I was considering Speedline corse Alloys but I'm in two minds as to get OEMs help.... :crazy:

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I bought 18" replicas and they suffered more kerb rash (a bit "softer") and one buckled out of alignment on the inside rim on a pothole :eek: but that was over 19,000 miles. Neverthless the experience made me go back to OEM from eBay as a direct replacement as I felt, although couldn't be sure, that the OEM were "stronger" and therefore better. Mind you, would not have been able to afford the OEM new from a dealer - so it is a new replica and used OEM argument.

janner said:
As a matter of interest does anyone know how much an AMG wheel weighs (7.5x17 et35) this design..
amg-monoblock-performance-wheels.jpg

I have a spare replica in the garage for comparison.

Hi Janner,

If you are really keen I have a set of exactly that design - Styling II Original AMG 17", 7.5J ET35, currently with tyres/valves removed (awaiting refurb). Weigh your one first and I'll pop out and follow suit :D:D

Will

Sorry Will, just read your post.
Mine is 11.5kg without tyre, valve, centre cap or balance weights.
Probably had yours done by now. :eek:

Flash said:
I've seen replicas on market that even have the proper AMG logos engraged/stamped just like on the OEMs. Some say that some replicas are not as strong/durbale as OEMs and are vulnerable to becoming bent/damaged from the basic pot holes in compariosn to OEMs which would not...

I have seen some with 'AME' that looks very much like an AMG logo, but never 'AMG' on a replica. Replica commissioners are always being chased for copyright breach and take steps to avoid being 'caught'..

Murray Systems said:
I have seen some with 'AME' that looks very much like an AMG logo, but never 'AMG' on a replica. Replica commissioners are always being chased for copyright breach and take steps to avoid being 'caught'..

I've seen a car with AMG "copies" stamped "AMG" in Datchet, Berkshire and the owner told me that they were copies when I complimented them - I will try and take pics and post them as I dont live far from there. Though alot of high quality after market alloys/replicas that I have recently seen do look good but as you have stated have no markings on them...

Fady said:
And who makes Mercedes and AMG wheels? AMG exhausts seem to be manufactured by Sebring, so I guess they commission someone to make their wheels.

When I looked at the back of my Styling III's I seem to recall them being stamped as being made by RONAL. I guess they are outsourced to a number of different wheel manufacturers.

I think a majorty of replica wheels are more than acceptable, it all depends on how deep your wallet is, to go for OEM or go for Replicas.

I have a set of Genuine Brabus 18's in the garage, which cost in excess of £2000.

I bought some staggered 'replica' 18" wheels last month, which cost £800 including tyres, both have the same brands of tyre on etc, and to me the car rides better on the replica's...

At the end of the day, if you get a set of reps from a decent reputable company, they will offer a warranty against poor build and any corrosion issues, and if you did damage them, then you should be able to get replacements.

My own experience with mercedes genuine wheels are that they are pretty rubbish, had the std wheels which corroded, a set of AMG Styling III's which again the lacquer lifted off these too all a bit dissapointing really.

But then there are others out there who have had no problems with their wheels, like my father who has had styling III's on his chauffer car for 3+ years with no problem.

Tbmeech said:
I think a majorty of replica wheels are more than acceptable, it all depends on how deep your wallet is, to go for OEM or go for Replicas.

I have a set of Genuine Brabus 18's in the garage, which cost in excess of £2000.

I bought some staggered 'replica' 18" wheels last month, which cost £800 including tyres, both have the same brands of tyre on etc, and to me the car rides better on the replica's...

At the end of the day, if you get a set of reps from a decent reputable company, they will offer a warranty against poor build and any corrosion issues, and if you did damage them, then you should be able to get replacements.

My own experience with mercedes genuine wheels are that they are pretty rubbish, had the std wheels which corroded, a set of AMG Styling III's which again the lacquer lifted off these too all a bit dissapointing really.

QUOTE]

Thank You - Thats what I have been trying to say in the other threads that are related to the Replica Alloys...

I bought a set of 18" AMG styling IV (? the 5 double spoke with the bolts round the rim) replicas from a guy off Ebay in September 2005. Mercedes could not supply these style wheels to fit my sports coupe so I couldn't have bought original.

I bought wider for the rear (without going to check can't remember but same as standard AMG spec wheels for the sports coupe - think its 8 front and 9 rear?)

They look great and I was dead pleased with, (no AMG logo stamped but so what) them but now the rears are starting to corrode on the polished lip - milky white patches are appearing. I have not kerbed them either. Fronts are perfect.

The issue now is - they have a 12 month guarantee (not tried to claim yet) but inevitably I am going to have to send the 2 wheels back - ie get the tyres off, package and courier them. Use my old Alshain wheels and tyres in the meantime etc, what a hassle.

But the wheels were ony £100 each so the old saying of you get what you pay for rings true I'm afraid.
Original wheels can corrode too but I got those replaced under warranty.

Don't agree i'm afraid.....

Diamond cut lips that are laquered are always going to go milky, it only takes the smallest stonechip (you say the rear wheels are milky, so could be stones thrown off by the front wheels under the car or whatever) or touch of the kerb (you may not even notice) , once the water is in , however small its gonna go milky...

Only way to keep diamond cut rims nice is to not have them laquered, and polish them with metal polish once a week...religiously !

My lips were diamond cut and i am mr careful when driving and they still went milky, couldn't be bothered with polishing them that often so had them painted ....

Even the most expensive wheels in the world, if the lips are diamond cut and laquered are gonna go milky .

PS - welcome to the forum ...... :)

EDIT :- plenty of members on here have had thousands of pounds worth of genuine AMG wheels go milky on them .....

Last edited:
C320Girl said:
They look great and I was dead pleased with, (no AMG logo stamped but so what) them but now the rears are starting to corrode on the polished lip - milky white patches are appearing. I have not kerbed them either. Fronts are perfect.

The issue now is - they have a 12 month guarantee (not tried to claim yet) but inevitably I am going to have to send the 2 wheels back - ie get the tyres off, package and courier them. Use my old Alshain wheels and tyres in the meantime etc, what a hassle.

But the wheels were ony £100 each so the old saying of you get what you pay for rings true I'm afraid.

All polished alloy wheels suffer from corrison if the polished section/part of i.e. the lip is not regularly polished and the slightest bit of road salt/grit in winter will attack and start to corrode the finish unless the salt/grit is washed imemdiatley after every joureny in Winter... Also the polished lip has to regularly be treated/maintained with some cleansing product (s)...

How often did you wash your alloys in Winter?

Did you poilsh/maintain the polsihed finosh of the wheels that is now suffering from corrosion?

Makes no difference if you pay £800 for AMG Replicas or £4000 for OEM AMG Alloys "IF" the alloys are NOT maintained/washed regulalrly as the the polished part of the wheel will suffer from corrosion - thats why I tend to like alloys with a "non" polished finish as they are difficult to maintain in winter and are vulnerable to corrosion if not "properly" maintained. Hence the reason why people have a set of winter alloys/wheels for their cars...

It is quite common for the teh polished finish to suffer from corrosion if the wheels are not maintained. The polished fonish is very "sensitibve" nd "vulnerable" to corrosion on replicas and OEM wheels

C320Girl said:

I wish you all the best with your claim but I doubt it will be a valid claim from what you have descriebd as the paint/lacqurer on the rest of the alloys appears to be fine (apart from the polished part). Pls keep us updated with feedback from the supplier/manufacturer.

They are washed every week by hand and dried off, occassionally I put autoglym protecive sealant on them.
The point I was making was they are corroding at only 3 months old which I think it a bit soon and yet the front 2 are still perfect.

What does anyone suggest I do then - polish with metal polish or what, do they need professionally polishing and then laquering?

C320Girl said:
They are washed every week by hand and dried off, occassionally I put autoglym protecive sealant on them.
The point I was making was they are corroding at only 3 months old which I think it a bit soon and yet the front 2 are still perfect.

What does anyone suggest I do then - polish with metal polish or what, do they need professionally polishing and then laquering?

See my post above with regards to the back wheels.....

What do you wash them with ? Soapy water or wheel cleaner ( some wheel cleaners are quite acidic so be careful)

Metal polish is only any good if they are not lacquered .... if you can be bothered with polishing them every week, then get the lips diamond cut again and leave them unlacquered ....

Failing that, leave them until you've kerbed them a few times then get them refurbished and just painted , makes maintenance a lot easier....

C320Girl said:
They are washed every week...

Thats where the problem lies - in Winter the poilshed finsiehd alloys more or less have to be washed straight after every single journey to protect the polished part/finish....

Off topic: My Dad left a little bit of road grit left on the chrome grill of his W220 S Class for 4 days (tahts the soonest he could wash the car) and the road/salt had already got to it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom