Downsizing from a BMW 523i - Which (non-C250) C class ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FF99

I am relucatantly retiring from service my 1999 BMW 523i which has only 36,000 miles on the clock. If not already apparent from the mileage, I am a low mileage London user, with infrequent hops down the M4.

I no longer need the bulk of a 5 series and don't very much like the look of the current 3 series. I have therefore been looking at the C class. I found the 4 cylinder 250 Sport CGI and CDI's distinctly uninspiring, with a whiny underpowered feel (even on a short urban drive) and am now planning to look at other models including the C220 Sport diesel, the C280 Sport petrol and the C320 Sport diesel.

Will the C220 be any better / worse than the C250 ?

Am I crazy to be contemplating a C280 ?? There is a suitable car available, but I wonder whether these will have any resale value in a few years given their running costs ?

How does the C320 compare with the C280 in terms of overall driving experience ?

I am not looking for mega-performance, just the solid feel that I had from my BMW 2.5L 6 cyinder engine, which seemed to be sadly lacking from the C250 4 cylinder engines.

Last edited:
Isn't the latest C250 actually a 1.6litre 4 cylinder with twin turbos or is that something else?

I assume that you want a petrol not a diesel! And why the Sport in particular?

Which year C-class are you considering?

Nope sorry, correct myself - it's an 1.8 litre turbo!

Please note that Merc numbering can be quite confusing!! :bannana:

I am looking at a 2008-9 model and my first preference is for petrol, although I would consider diesel if it made much more sense to do so. The only C classes that I have so far driven were the petrol and diesel C250's and I did not find much difference, save that the diesel seemed (predictably ?) noisier.

Yes, the C250s are 1.8litre 4 cylinder with twin turbos.

C200K. Well developed, tried and tested unlike the C250. I've not checked, but would think there are plenty around. A friend has a 57 plate and loves it.

You must be referring to the older 203 shape as there is no 280/320 line up in the current 204 model. There is the 250 (1.8L I4) and 350 (3.5L V6). The 280/320 is a 3.0L V6 in two different states of tune but I stand corrected if it isn't!

Personally, I would go for diesel but if you don't do the miles its not worth it

You must be referring to the older 203 shape as there is no 280/320 line up in the current 204 model. There is the 250 (1.8L I4) and 350 (3.5L V6). The 280/320 is a 3.0L V6 in two different states of tune but I stand corrected if it isn't!

Personally, I would go for diesel but if you don't do the miles its not worth it

There certainly was a C280 in the current shape (and a c320), but they seem to have been replaced by the C250 CGI / CDI. All very odd really that a 3L should be replaced by a 1.8L masquerading as a 2.5L !

The reason for considering a diesel as well as a petrol, is that the C280s are very rare beasts whereas the C220s and C320s are readily available.

The 280's are rare because the fuel economy/power trade off wasn't worth it so most buyers went for the 320!

As I said, I stand corrected as I don't know too much about the 204 as I do about the 203!!

If you're going for petrol, then I believe the V6's are a lovely engine (as are the V*'s but you're going into new terristory there!! lol). The diesel V6's pull like trains and are good for 150+mph

And I told you the numbering is odd - even worse than BMW!

I am relucatantly retiring from service my 1999 BMW 523i which has only 36,000 miles on the clock.

Am I crazy to be contemplating a C280 ??............I wonder whether these will have any resale value in a few years?

If you have done 36k miles over 11 years then surely depreciation doesn't com into it??

Just buy what you like. :thumb:

If you have done 36k miles over 11 years then surely depreciation doesn't com into it??

Just buy what you like. :thumb:

I was thinking that maybe I would be a little less dithery about replacing this new car ..... I felt very hurt that nobody wanted my 523, on account of the fact that it is now - apparently - an obsolete gas guzzler !

I think the problem is the fact it is a 523i, if it were a 528i or 530i it would have been snapped up.

Same running costs as the 528i but without the performance.

How much have you asked for it???

I think the problem is the fact it is a 523i, if it were a 528i or 530i it would have been snapped up.

Same running costs as the 528i but without the performance.

How much have you asked for it???

I ended up p-xing it for a Mini that I have just bought Mrs FF99, as I did not want the hassle of selling privately. I am too embarassed to say what I was given for it ! It got into 4 figures, but not very far ....

Out of that lot the C280 petrol would make a good second hand buy as would a C230 or C350 petrol...

Given the BMWs engine and your low miles I'd ingore any 4 cylinder engine and focus on a c320cdi/c350cdi and or c230/280/350 petrols.

On the C class there is NO C280 diesel. Just a petrol.

C320 on new shape C class is diesel.

Last edited:
Out of that lot the C280 petrol would make a good second hand buy as would a C230 or C350 petrol...

Given the BMWs engine and your low miles I'd ingore any 4 cylinder engine and focus on a c320cdi/c350cdi and or c230/280/350 petrols.

I'd agree with that. Think the 4 cyls would disappoint you after driving a 6 for so long

I'd agree with that. Think the 4 cyls would disappoint you after driving a 6 for so long

Yes, that really seems to be the nub of it, although I do find Mrs FF99's B170 quite fun to drive (actually better than the C250s !).

I still have the idea that the diesels are too closely related to London Black Cabs or old London Routemaster buses and I think this affects my perception of them when I test drive. Can someone try and persuade me that, if I didnt' know what I was driving, I would not be able to tell the difference between a C280 petrol and a C320 diesel ??

Last edited:
Yes, that really seems to be the nub of it.

I still have the idea that the diesels are too closely related to London Black Cabs or old London Routemaster buses and I think this affects my perception of them when I test drive. Can someone try and persuade me that, if I didnt' know what I was driving, I would not be able to tell the difference between a C280 petrol and a C320 diesel ??

The main difference is how often you visit a petrol station! Both V6 engines are strong although the diesel is noisier overal and the diesel will pull much stronger than the petrol.

*** you're right, I think I must have been thinking of the E280/E320 diesels......

The main difference is how often you visit a petrol station! Both V6 engines are strong although the diesel is noisier overal and the diesel will pull much stronger than the petrol.

*** you're right, I think I must have been thinking of the E280/E320 diesels......

When you say the diesel will "pull much stronger", is that at particular speed ranges or generally and can one feel it, or does one need a stopwatch to measure it ? I should probably have said at the top of the post that I drive an automatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom