Downsizing to 2001 SLK32 from 2006 SLK200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dowtherz

Car
W209 CLK 350 Cab VW Golf GTE Volvo V90 CC
I currently have a 2006 SLK200 Auto which looks the business. However, I've recently been fortunate enough to land a job which comes with a new C Class 220CDI. I'm currently paying for the SLK on a PCP and can't justify the cost each month. To soften the blow of losing the SLK completely, I'm considering downsizing to an AMG SLK32 which would be cheaper. I've seen this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/01-51-Mercede...oryZ9855QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any views on the two cars compared (I can see the AMG has frightening pace!) and downsizing in general? Is winter a good time to p/x a convertable?

Thanks in advance for your views!:confused:

Sorry but I do not see that as "downsizing" :devil:

Winter is not a good time to PX a convertible normally but as you are going against another convertible then it will balance out.

I wouldn't really call going from one SLK to another "downsizing"?! I guess you mean financially :)

Go and drive an SLK32 and see what you think. I imagine it would be a very different experience to your SLK200, but as it's not going to be an everyday car that could be a good thing.

Convertibles are supposed to go up a bit in price in summer and down in winter. Not sure if this is true, they will definitely be easier to sell. But if you're PXing one for another it's swings & roundabouts - you shouldn't lose out.

I guess you need to do sit down and work out the additional costs of fuel, insurance and servicing of the AMG to see how better off you will be.

I would be tempted to get rid of the SLK completely unless you really need 2 cars or can live with the extra cost.

I guess you need to do sit down and work out the additional costs of fuel, insurance and servicing of the AMG to see how better off you will be.

I would be tempted to get rid of the SLK completely unless you really need 2 cars or can live with the extra cost.

But hang on, he's getting a free C class company car.

So he'd be (re)paying less for an older SLK32 than currently on the 2006 SLK200. And although servicing, fuel, and insurance would be more pricey ... mileage would be lower (due to the C class), which would offset that to a large extent.

So far as i can tell the only plus side from the change will be the faster pace of the AMG, in all other areas you should expect a step backward (No offense to 170 owners they are great cars but the 171 has evolved a tad).

Servicing wont be much different to what your paying for the 200, the 170 is easier to work on and 171 parts cost more also you can indy the 170 without worrying about your warranty.

Obviously the insurance and fuel costs will increase.

Thanks for views so far. To clarify, servicing costs will be minimal due to low miles I will be doing and a favourable relationship with local dealer. There won't be any insurance costs as I am covered by company insurance (hefty excess if I crash though!). I agree getting rid of the SLK completely is the sensible option, but where cars are concerned the heart rules the head with me and I've always wanted an AMG in some guise. I figure I will be saving £250 PM on finance payments if I go ahead.

There won't be any insurance costs as I am covered by company insurance (hefty excess if I crash though!).

Are you sure? That's most unusual. Company insurance normally only covers cars owned by the company in question - not any other car employees may happen to own

Well that's a big consideration for the pot.

The SLK32 is great fun - feels quicker than the C32 even - so if you're looking for fun rather than refinement the SLK32 sounds like a good idea.

Well I've had both an SLK230 and SLK32AMG from new. Both are great cars. In terms of running costs, yes the 32 is a bit dearer on petrol, but then who buys a car like that with petrol a consideration.

In terms of bang per buck the 32 wins it every time. It puts a smile on my face every time I start the engine :D

Insurance costs me £230 quid fully comp with a clean licence, (though that could change at next renewal as I got three points last month, anyway thats with Admiral (10,000 a year mileage, lucky if I cover half that as my car has now covered 31,000miles)

Average A service costs a shade under£300 and a B service a shade under £600 at MB main dealership :devil:

The most expensive part in running a 32AMG is keeping the heated seats working. I'm on my eighth. :crazy:

Interestingly in last month’s MB enthusiast mag they did a comparison with the 32AMG and 55AMG. They preferred the 32AMG Nuff said :devil:

My final thought is I'm keeping my car, as I seriously don't know what I'd change it for. I mean, what else can you buy that has a hand built engine, has that kind of performance, for Ford Mondeo kind of money? (And not to mention rarity, only 300 imported into the UK total over the entire production life I believe).

So ill just have to get another car as well as :D :D

Last edited:
I like your idea very much and think it makes a lot of sense for your circumstances, however if it was me I'd be looking at cars like the Porsche Boxster S or a Lotus Elise to act as a more extreme contrast with the new C Class you'll also have.

Best of luck with whatever choice you make.

I like your idea very much and think it makes a lot of sense for your circumstances, however if it was me I'd be looking at cars like the Porsche Boxster S or a Lotus Elise to act as a more extreme contrast with the new C Class you'll also have.

Best of luck with whatever choice you make.

Just my opinion for what it’s worth, but a good friend of mine has an Elise, and maybe I'm getting an old fart but, getting out of a Lotus Elise without looking a complete T_ _ T is impossible. You kinda fall out of it face down, if that makes sense. :eek: Anybody who's been in one will know precisely what I mean. The width and height of the door sill just make exiting the car with any kind of dignity left intact impossible. It's even worse with the roof up! :crazy:

Top tip for the girls, only wear jeans if you intend having one of these cars or indeed your boyfriend/partner has one, (but then I guess you already worked this out if they do), anyway, that is if you wish to leave anything left to the imagination! :D :D Oh and I forgot to mention - no comfort what-so-ever and expensive to service being mid engine. Cam belt change £1800! Body work develops stress fractures and are expensive to repair. No real storage therefore a useless weekend car.

The plus points are it handles like it's on rails and it’s a great track car if that's what you want. ;)

The Porsche Boxster and Boxster S certainly handles and stops well, but slow by today’s standards and no cheaper than MB or Lotus to run. If you can afford one, buy an older 911 but have plenty of dosh set aside for servicing.

Anyway good luck with whatever you choose.

Regards

Last edited:
Interestingly in last month’s MB enthusiast mag they did a comparison with the 32AMG and 55AMG. They preferred the 32AMG Nuff said :devil:

So ill just have to get another car as well as :D :D

What month's issue was that? Will try and get a back issue, Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom