Downsizing....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzowner

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
... in a big way, sold the S Class and I am picking up my (new to me) B class Saturday week. I have been looking around for a number of months at B's, E's and S classes all diesel but we wanted the use of an estate without it being an estate, the B class seemed to suit, so took one for a test drive and signed on the dotted line, a B180 diesel. The other little push was filling the S class up the other day £104.00:doh: time to change. Quite looking forward to the B, it has Comand, leather, sports pack, parktronic and is auto and is very smooth. May consider a remap to 139ps later as I tow a caravan occasionally so the extra power would help.

Attachments

• B Class.jpg
    B Class.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 239
... in a big way, sold the S Class and I am picking up my (new to me) B class Saturday week. I have been looking around for a number of months at B's, E's and S classes all diesel but we wanted the use of an estate without it being an estate, the B class seemed to suit, so took one for a test drive and signed on the dotted line, a B180 diesel. The other little push was filling the S class up the other day £104.00:doh: time to change. Quite looking forward to the B, it has Comand, leather, sports pack, parktronic and is auto and is very smooth. May consider a remap to 139ps later as I tow a caravan occasionally so the extra power would help.

I have a B180 Cdi (Manual gearbox) and they are capeable of amazing fuel consumption..
I can remove the seats in mine if needed (including the front passenger seat) and it then becomes a van !!
On a typical run around the lake district (Part motorway and part A road I get around 52mpg.
For the last 3,000 miles my trip computer reports an overall average of 47mpg (That includes 10 miles of rush hour traffic to get to work and 10 miles back home.).
I do like the elevated driving position..You can just see over the stone walls in the countryside whereas in a "normal" car you just cant..
Hope you enjoy your new B class.:D

Things will never be the same without your S class !! They are just the right size, easy to get in and out and pretty non de-script .

Things will never be the same without your S class !! They are just the right size, easy to get in and out and pretty non de-script .

Yes, the S will be a tough act to follow, I suppose the B comes with age:D:D appologies to Simon above if ageism offends :)

The pic looks like the sport model. I have heard they are very hard on suspension, unless it has comfort pack. I have the SE and it is still firm even on 16" wheels.

Economy... I have the B200 cdi on a long run (200 Miles) at between 60 & 65mph I got the reading on the dash upto 71.4mpg! I have a pic after it had dropped a bit.

On the way back I ran at 70mph for about 100miles and the MPG dropped to 60mpg.

Around locally, being very careful, I get 52mpg.

Attachments

• rsz_1mpg.jpg
    rsz_1mpg.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 173
i down sized from an E320cdi to a b200 cdi due to the fuel consumption and cost. so far only seen 55mg max on the motorway with speeds from 5-80.

I also looked at a remap(tuning box-brabus), but not sure its possible with the cvt autobox.

every where i looked only had prices and figures for the manual. if you find any details on the cvt power/torque handling please post

The pic looks like the sport model. I have heard they are very hard on suspension, unless it has comfort pack. I have the SE and it is still firm even on 16" wheels.

We had a B-Class with the sports pack as our family wagon a few years ago and it was fine. Although compared to the S-class I dare say it will feel a little firm. Definately not uncomfortable.

J.

We had a B-Class with the sports pack as our family wagon a few years ago and it was fine. Although compared to the S-class I dare say it will feel a little firm. Definately not uncomfortable.

J.

You are correct it is has the sports option with 17" wheels and yes the ride was firmer than the S, but I guess anything other than an S would be:D It was firmer without being a boneshaker unlike my sons Nissan Skyline with what fells like solid suspension:D:D or my old estate car when I fitted 18" AMG wheels on

If youre after a good drive and good economy , have a look at the bmw 2.0d engine.

BMW are lightyears ahead of mercedes when it comes to economy and power from the diesel engines.

My friend has just got rid of his 520d 2008, efficient dynamics model. He got rid because of non stop problems with electrics and a new turbo required, all replaced under warranty. However, driving very carefully he would struggle to get 50mpg, and on short local journeys was struggling to get over 30mpg.

He said, that it seems to be an engine that is efficient if you just tickle the throttle and drive super careful, but under normal use the economy plummets.

Great choice. :)

I borrowed one for two days (2010 B160 Sport) and I was very impressed with it. I liked how spacious it was and the high driving position.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the 1.6L engine , it was very sluggish and uneconomical.

Apart from that it's a great car.

Last edited:
good luck with your new 'B' class, I personally thought it was too big a change from the E320 for 12+ MPG, so I'm still searching ... the new Volvo diesel hybrid due early 2012, doing 120+MPG looks like it will fit the bill for me.

Cheers

:wallbash:

Great choice. :)

I borrowed one for two days (2010 B160 Sport) and I was very impressed with it. I liked how spacious it was and the high driving position.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the 1.6L engine , it was very sluggish and uneconomical.

Apart from that it's a great car.

Agree about the engine. The 1.6 is ok with my A Class (if like me you're not worried about 'performance') but in Bs I have driven definitely underpowered. Otherwise a v practical car.

Update

Well the good old DVLA cherrished transfer wanted their pound of flesh and took and age to complete the transfer, but I picked up the car on 12th May so have had it a few days. Yes the ride is firmer than the S, but certainly not uncomfortably so. The 38+mpg comute run compares with the 14mpg of the S very favourably:D:D I will need a new Comand DVD as the one in the car is V8 and I beleive later versions provide an upgrade of some description as well as more up to date mapping. First few days oveall impression, very satisfied.

Great choice,

We swapped the wifes A210 A class for a B class. I liked it so much we drove to France in it last year rather than my (at teh time) ML. Saved a fortune. 59mpg is my best so far. The picture below was leaving Annecy in the Morning and arrived at Chester that night in one trip :) this was doing 85mph most of the way in France also..

DSCF9562.jpg

I'm inpressed with the size of boot (more room than a C class estate) also the hiden (two level floor) which is handy.

Ours is a 2.0d with the SE pack rather than sport, even though it has the sport wheels. Rides a LOT softer than her old one as that must have had harder suspension.

DSCF8543.jpg

old and new

DSCF8552.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom