Downtown Dakar W201s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CreosoteChris

Car
1993 300CE
Hello fellow MBClub members...

This is the latest in an occasional series of posts, in which I visit improbable locations, and assess them for out-of-date Mercs.

Previous episodes:
Yerevan is G-Wagen Central
Bishkek is W124 Central

Branching out now from ex-Soviet republic capitals – this time it’s West Africa - Dakar, Senegal.

W201 enthusiasts rejoice! If you were wondering what happens to all those 190Es that never made it to the junkyard, I have the answer – they are now cruising the streets of Senegal, as these pictures show. I’ve also added a pic of the Peugeot “sept places” vehicle that took me from Dakar to Saint-Louis, along with six other passengers + driver

There are lots and lots of W201s there (along with a fair sprinkling of W124s) – the photos were taken within a period of about 20 minutes whilst walking round the downtown Plateau / Marche Sandaga area…

…good job I backed up my photos daily, because the next day my camera was nicked by pickpockets

Whilst plentiful, I must say that it’s difficult to find a W201 in good condition – but bear in mind that this is the third world – and any car that isn’t a complete beater is exceptional. The taxis (mainly Peugeots) that circulate in the city mostly have not one single straight panel, no functioning instruments in the dash, no window winders, etc. Anything that moves is considered to be a functional vehicle.

Anyway, enjoy the pics, but probably don’t go to Senegal in search of a bargain mint-condition W201

Cheers

Chris
93 220CE, auto, red / black leather, 117k, Manchester

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom