DPF. Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sheffield Col

Car
Mercedes 2014, C Class 220 Diesel Automatic Blutec W205
Just wondering if any one has any experience about dpf cleaning, either by having some one come and pour in some chemical solution or by physically removing the filter and giving it a blast with jet washer, or by any other means not mentioned. If so what are your recommendations ?

Why not put it in a furnace? - I was thinking about this the other day; can you not just heat it up (perhaps in an oxidising atmosphere) to help the catalyst burn-off the particulates?

I appreciate that DPFs are sometimes metal rather than the monolith construction of SCR or LNT, but in theory about 500C should be enough to burn-off organics.

I have been having problems with car going into limp mode and have had a forced regeneration done twice. First one lasted 5000 miles but the second only 1500.

So I thought I would try this stuff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0061ATRK2/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

and the results seem to be very good. Prior to adding it to about 40 litres of diesel my dpf indicated 75% soot content and after using it, 12% and the car is no longer in limp mode.

Procedure I used was to turn every single electrical item on and take the car for a 30mile motorway run at at least 2000 revs.

Of course this treatment may last no longer than anything else but for £15 I though it was worth a punt

I have used dpf cleaning stuff you pour in, the hardest bit is getting a seal on the end of the pipe so the stuff doesnt leak out when you leave it to do its stuff

Cheers mate, I am having trouble with eml. and car going into limp mode, car is 2014 C Class diesel Blutec. Local garage says its most likely dpf. So I am looking for options. Many thanks for your reply. How did you get your soot readings btw.

Prior to adding it to about 40 litres of diesel my dpf indicated 75% soot content and after using it, 12% and the car is no longer in limp mode.

How do you check the percentage of the soot content of the dpf?

I have been having problems with car going into limp mode and have had a forced regeneration done twice. First one lasted 5000 miles but the second only 1500.

and the results seem to be very good. Prior to adding it to about 40 litres of diesel my dpf indicated 75% soot content and after using it, 12% and the car is no longer in limp mode.

Procedure I used was to turn every single electrical item on and take the car for a 30mile motorway run at at least 2000 revs.

Of course this treatment may last no longer than anything else but for £15 I though it was worth a punt

Cheers mate, I am having trouble with eml. and car going into limp mode, car is 2014 C Class diesel Blutec. Local garage says its most likely dpf. So I am looking for options. Many thanks for your reply. How did you get your soot readings btw.

Seems to me from the MSDS that DPF cleaner is just narrow-cut kerosene (i.e. no additives, just distillate), but obviously they're a little cagey about what they actually include.
  • 90% C10-C13 n-alkanes (which have the trade name Exxol D60, from Exxon Mobil)
    (Normal DROs are C10-C28 whereas GROs are C6-C10, kerosene is normally C10-C16)
  • ~3% naphthalene and/or related compounds
  • ~7% not stated.

Using diagnostic equipment is the only way

Hi mate, how many miles have you managed to do so far without the light coming back on ?

Ok I got the soot readings when using Delphi diagnostic software in real time data mode. I've had this kit for a while and only used to use it to read and clear fault codes -however recently I've began to look at the real time data to see what it shows.

Incidentally the fault code that always appears when my car is in limp mode is P2079 which is described as "purge control DPF - engine protection active".

If I use the cheap hand held scanner i used to use it comes up as P1409!

Prior to adding the Forte my readings were Load state 86% and Soot content 75%

Soot content fairly self explanatory. I'm not sure what load state means but I presume that it is the ash content of the dpf as ash is left after the soot is burned off. My car E320cdi has done 155000 miles so I guess the ash content would be fairly high.

After using Forte readings were Load state 80% and soot content 12%

I think it would be sensible to assume that the readings are only estimations and that therefore the load state % is probably unchanged but even at 12% it does seem that the soot content has been significantly reduced

Since adding the cleaner to the fuel tank I've only done about 60 miles so it's early days yet. I don't think that the regeneration function on my car is operating anymore so it will probably go back into limp mode at some stage but I'll keep it monitored.

Tried giving it a blast up the M1 with some dpf cleaner in the tank, but eml is still on. Going to Zante Mon evening and will be leaving car with local indy for the duration, so hopefully will come home to a full report and a cured motor...

Wondered how you got on with this?
Hi mate, how many miles have you managed to do so far without the light coming back on ?

As it turned out my car wentabout 1000 miles using the Forte DPF cleaner. Ultimately I'm going to remove and clean the dpf but for now I've put another bottle of DPF cleaner in. Just tested it and soot content down to 5%. How long it will last I don't know.delphi 1 Oct 2018.JPG

Open it up for a proper clean and then forget where you put it , lol.

download (2).jpeg

My 2012 S204 BE does a very quiet regen every 500km.
I have observed it with the icarsoft MB 2.0.
It usually reaches 3g soot; 0g Ash and 105% fill when it reduces it all down to zero.
It then immediately commences to increase the fill again and the same sequence takes place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom