DPF delete and removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob-hill-1

Car
Mercedes Sprinter
Im considering taking my '08 Mercedes Sprinter to an independent garage to have an 'invisible' delete and reprogram on the DPF for £400

I have taken my van to a Mercedes garage several times to try and figure out what has been the cause of thick white smoke which appears after every 150 miles or so in cycles, accompanied by the smell of fumes (typically when idling) They went over it with a fine toothcomb and told me it was to do with the DPF / remapping.

I had my van re mapped to stock settings at an independent garage and this solved the problem for a good 1000 miles or so. The problem then came back and the smoke + fumes is appearing after approx 150 miles again + hanging around for about 50 miles before dissapearing.

On one of my original posts, a user recommended the 'delete and recode' to solve my issue. I was wondering how many of you have done it / if it has eliminated the problem for you entireley / if it has given you any extra problems?

thanks everybody

Rob.

I've done this mod before. It works very well. You can also combine it with a power map too ;)

£400 is about right too.

Right up to the year they introduce an emissions test for DPF....

Isn't this risky now ? . According to what I've read if the mot station discover that the dpf has been removed or tampered with they will now fail you on your mot . Guess this would then mean a bill of maybe 1 grand to then put it all back again to pass the mot. You never know when your going to get that mot inspector who's just itching to ruin someone's day or the goverment insist they make sure it's all present and correct.

i have the same problem with my 09 sprinter the garage told me its the dpf emptying its self the smell is horrible.

Isn't this risky now ? . According to what I've read if the mot station discover that the dpf has been removed or tampered with they will now fail you on your mot . Guess this would then mean a bill of maybe 1 grand to then put it all back again to pass the mot. You never know when your going to get that mot inspector who's just itching to ruin someone's day or the goverment insist they make sure it's all present and correct.

Sorry Officer, where's the risk? Like the not so good old days of taking my 1.3 Astra rude boy drain pipe back box off / bike exhaust off, putting the "E" marked one back on for the MOT, then swapping them back afterwards. The DPF is just the current affliction for my generation, it follows me. :(:dk:

DPF's are fitted to stop modern Diesel engines poisoning us hence why it is illegal to remove them. The high power we now see from Diesels is due to the extremely high pressure pumps as well as the extremely precise injection control from electronic injection systems, however the power gain from the ultra fine atomisation gives correspondingly fine particles of soot which are a lot more easily absorbed into the blood stream when we breathe them in than the black stuff being churned out by older engines.
I'm quite happy to be corrected on this one but I think in principal it's not far off the mark.

Im considering taking my '08 Mercedes Sprinter to an independent garage to have an 'invisible' delete and reprogram on the DPF for £400

I have taken my van to a Mercedes garage several times to try and figure out what has been the cause of thick white smoke which appears after every 150 miles or so in cycles, accompanied by the smell of fumes (typically when idling) They went over it with a fine toothcomb and told me it was to do with the DPF / remapping.

I had my van re mapped to stock settings at an independent garage and this solved the problem for a good 1000 miles or so. The problem then came back and the smoke + fumes is appearing after approx 150 miles again + hanging around for about 50 miles before dissapearingOn one of my original posts, a user recommended the 'delete and recode' to solve my issue. I was wondering how many of you have done it / if it has eliminated the problem for you entireley / if it has given you any extra problems?

thanks everybody

Rob.
l have had the vito done and a friends sprinter done. lt has the same apparatus as yours. Keep the dpf unit physically installed and get it gutted out and remapped. lt does not blow out any smoke as it goes through 2 other mufflers and on the vito the back box. The only difference there is a slight diesel smell. And no polluting of your engine oil. saving on fuel. extra performance, less stress on the turbo , no need for expensive low ash oil , no problem stuck in traffic and going limp .the list goes on.

I was going to start a new thread but i cant find the button.
I am going to get my DPF removed anf ECU remapped, would this affect the MOT. i have looked on-line but i cant get an answer.

Thanks

I have spoken to someone and they said If the housing is there it will be fine.....

It will still pass the MOT, but you may have problems with insurance if you declare it.

not just the re map,its a modification so they may either refuse to insure or they may increase your premium

Ok, so what should I do. The van has been in limp mode for 1 week. I know it's the dpf would you still have it removed? I don't know any more options

Thanks

Ok, so what should I do. The van has been in limp mode for 1 week. I know it's the dpf would you still have it removed? I don't know any more options

Thanks
only you can answer that question,but what you have to remember is that if you dont declare it to your insurance and you have an accident (even if its not your fault) you could be in the proverbiable.

brent2912 said:
Ok, so what should I do. The van has been in limp mode for 1 week. I know it's the dpf would you still have it removed? I don't know any more options Thanks

It doesn't get removed, it's taken off, opened up, gutted then carefully welded back in so for any visual inspections for the MOT they can't tell it has been modified.

I would like to get this done on my car though as I'm getting very poor MPG, I use the car maybe twice a week or three times, as far as the gym and back which isn't far. I'd hardly get the DPF to a temperature to purge in such short travel distances so it would be interesting to see how much the removal and remap would be beneficial to my MPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom