DPF & EGR, repair, replace, remove? GL X164 ML W164 420 Cdi C220 Blueefficiency W204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JaBlonde

Car
Mercedes GL420 Brabus
I have two Mercedes vehicles which are down on performance and have mpg's 25-45% lower than when I first purchased them and I believe the issue is down to the DPF factory fitted to both.

The C220 '09 Blueefficiency has been to Mercedes for a forced ReGen of the DPF after an engine management light came on, car in limp mode, 6 months ago. They stated 400% blocked (which seems nonsense, but that was the figure quoted). It was returned a few days later as although the warning light had gone, the car was significantly low on power. Another ReGen of the DPF and the car seemed OK. MPG was about 38mpg for months after that and I was told by Mercedes that this would improve as the car cleared the blockage. A month ago, for the first time ever, the car started to report 48mpg which I was ecstatic about. 300 miles later and a 80 mile run today on motorways reports 37mpg. I'm dumbfounded.

The GL420 '07 is also down on power and is producing lower than expected mpg of around 21mpg, down from 28mpg in the past. I've had the car 4 years and it has done over 100,000 miles, I am not a short trip driver and I plan to keep it another 2-3 years at least. The local garages diagnostics machine last week reported 7% Ash and 100% Soot on the left exhaust and the right exhaust reported OK for both. They tried to do a forced ReGen, but it wouldn't allow the option.

Like probably every other person who has resorted to forum sites after a DPF problem, I am confused as to what to do. Reading through posts on this site, I understand I have 3 options available.

Repair - Either by forced ReGen or third party DPF burn off (if I can find someone that does this).

Replace - Simply swap out the DPF for a new one.

Remove - Remove the DPF completely and remap the cars ECU so it doesn't complain about it being removed and doesn't try to run the DPF program periodically.

I would like to remove the DPF from both cars altogether, but I do not know whether the people who remap these vehicles are 'proven' - do they know what they are doing? AND, can the EGR be left intact or does leaving this in place cause additional problems?

Any advice people? Sorry for the long post. It would be fantastic to hear from somebody who has a Mercedes with a DPF they removed a few months ago and they've got 60mpg+ ever since, performance is like new and it cost £150, but anything less than that will be greatly received.

DPF regeneration in a self cleaning oven??

Just a thought.

Has anyone ever tried taking one of these DPF units off and trying to burn the soot off in a self cleaning oven? I reckon our oven (Miele) reaches over 400 degrees on a self clean program for over 2 hours. It's got to be worth a go! :)))))

until the temperature don't reach 600°C the regeneration won't start... I don't think doing it on your own kitchen would do any good... besides, your sunday rost will start tasting funny...

+1 for remove, or at least cut the DPF open, remove the guts and weld it back up. Remap and you have a new car, +MPG and a MOT. I can only speak for my in-law's DPF removal on a 2003 TD5 Discovery which was doomed for the breakers until the DPF was taken off as it was affecting everything. So far 50k miles, so good.

Last edited:
Windydog... Was that a Discovery 3? What difference did it make to mpg?
Still don't know what to do. DPF systems are clearly a tool manufacturers use to keep people going back to main dealer.

Having read through more forums detailing problems encountered with removing the DPF I am minded to work with the dpf system on the GL and try to make it fully operational either by removing and cleaning the dpf, replacing it or forcing a regen.

Does anyone know if a forced regeneration can be done using a Snapon plug in tool or does it have to be Star Diagnostics? Thanks.

Hi guys - Got it on Star today and have Left DPF showing 5% Ash / 133% Soot and Right DPF showing 2% Ash / 180% Soot.

I am guessing this is blocked but its a bit weird that it's showing over 100% blocked. Bit of a nonsense. Any advice?

Thanks.

Removal is not a legal option

It is suggested from time to time that the answer to failed DPF regeneration is get the DPF removed from the exhaust system rather than pay to get it repaired/renewed. Indeed there are companies advertising just such a service including reprogramming of the engine management software, but is it legal?

DPFs are fitted to meet European emissions regulations designed to reduce vehicle emissions of particulate matter (soot) associated with respiratory disease and cancer.

According to the Department for Transport, it is an offence under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3)) to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use.

Of course it's your choice whether or not to break the law in order to save one of the major cost penalties of owning a diesel. It's your choice whether or not to do without the device that reduces soot particles by 80%, so that the rest of us can breath them in. But it sounds to me that your only correct option is to bite the expensive bullets and replace the DPFs. You're wasting fuel with your blocked DPFs and forced regeneration doesn't seem to be clearing them. Unfortunately they're an expensive necessity. Sorry.

Pardon the scandalous ravings of a criminally minded scumbag who's just had a beer, but seriously? suggesting that paying £2k to fix a/two DPF(s) is some sort of moral obligation hardly seems reasonable.

Ignoring that every tractor in the country is running red diesel with 1000% higher sulphur content without DPFs, every plane above us transmitting far more sulphur/particulate/ring chain hydrocarbon soot, and every ship in the world running on MGO/HFO with every contaminate possible being pumped into the atmoshere at 20 gallons to the mile,, we would do far more good to campaign on these issues.

DPFs are a curse, and a badly designed one at that. The law sucks over this, but like good little sheep we are forced to follow it without any regard for common sense or sense of relative damage.

Fine, I understand the need to promote lawful behaviour on a forum, but I will not sponsor the notion of victims of engineering shoddy workmanship having to fork out two grand just to be "moral".

Windydog... Was that a Discovery 3? What difference did it make to mpg?

Nope, Disco 2 on a 53 plate with 130k miles at the time. It saved the car from the breakers. Fuel econ not really noticable, but meant that more than 50mph was possible on the motorway, it was so bad.

Pardon the scandalous ravings of a criminally minded scumbag who's just had a beer, but seriously? suggesting that paying £2k to fix a/two DPF(s) is some sort of moral obligation hardly seems reasonable.

Ignoring that every tractor in the country is running red diesel with 1000% higher sulphur content without DPFs, every plane above us transmitting far more sulphur/particulate/ring chain hydrocarbon soot, and every ship in the world running on MGO/HFO with every contaminate possible being pumped into the atmoshere at 20 gallons to the mile,, we would do far more good to campaign on these issues.

DPFs are a curse, and a badly designed one at that. The law sucks over this, but like good little sheep we are forced to follow it without any regard for common sense or sense of relative damage.

Fine, I understand the need to promote lawful behaviour on a forum, but I will not sponsor the notion of victims of engineering shoddy workmanship having to fork out two grand just to be "moral".

Who said anything about it being a "moral obligation"? I said it was just one of those unfortunate possible expenses you have to consider when buying a diesel car. It's no different to knowing that you'll have to tax and insure the car every year, or that you'll need to renew the tyres and brakes at some time. If you don't like that running expense then either buy a petrol car or use the bus.

In the meantime I'll try not to get stuck behind too many tractors, planes or ships when riding through the city centre, and instead be sympathetic to the diesel vehicle owner who has removed his damned DPF to save some money. It really doesn't matter that over time it could be giving me a respiratory disease or cancer. It really doesn't matter that young children and the elderly are even more likely to suffer, it's far more important to save some cash. So, we'll probably cough a bit, but we'll understand your predicament. You may even be able to convince us that all that soot is good for us.

Who said anything about it being a "moral obligation"? I said it was just one of those unfortunate possible expenses you have to consider when buying a diesel car. It's no different to knowing that you'll have to tax and insure the car every year, or that you'll need to renew the tyres and brakes at some time. If you don't like that running expense then either buy a petrol car or use the bus.

In the meantime I'll try not to get stuck behind too many tractors, planes or ships when riding through the city centre, and instead be sympathetic to the diesel vehicle owner who has removed his damned DPF to save some money. It really doesn't matter that over time it could be giving me a respiratory disease or cancer. It really doesn't matter that young children and the elderly are even more likely to suffer, it's far more important to save some cash. So, we'll probably cough a bit, but we'll understand your predicament. You may even be able to convince us that all that soot is good for us.

Stupid argument. The fact that the dpf stores the apparently harmful gases, but then blows them out the exhaust periodically as dust means the whole process is pointless. I presume you know what the affects are of ingesting highly concentrated dpf purge dust as you walk along the footpath? It's government ******** and if you can't see through that on the balance of a reasoned thought process, then you really ought not to be contributing to the discussion which is about mpg. Your comment is utterly pointless other than the point of legality. Noted and ignored.

Some people.

I have removed both cats and DPFs on a420 and although appears to be driving smoother have a large flat spot low down in the revs especially magnified in kick down.MPG after remap is slightly better @ 30 true mpg (great for the environment !!!) but engine management comes on now and again showing "ash fill level too high" even although dpf 's are gone and removed from ecu also

Any (positive) thoughts ?

Last edited:
Any one ?!!

Hi sorry to get back on topic but I'm having the same problem as OP.. C220 '11 less than 20k on the clock and it's now back in the garage for the 3rd time in 7 months showing DPF 400% full... So far force regen seems to be the only way to cure it

I know the DPF is not full and, as an instrument guy myself, 400% full sounds instrument failure although a force regen proves it hasn't failed...

Has anyone else had this 400% full problem and what was the solution please? This is starting to get expensive and very frustrating!

Oh before anyone asks, car gets driven hard with a mix of 10 mile trips and "long runs"

Thanks, Sam

Check out BG products Ltd . Head office on Bury St Edmunds. Find a rep. local to you. It will cost around £300 but the cleaning system they have will clean everything including inlet manifold and EGR as well as DPF.

Check out BG products Ltd . Head office on Bury St Edmunds. Find a rep. local to you. It will cost around £300 but the cleaning system they have will clean everything including inlet manifold and EGR as well as DPF.

At £300 a pop, I wonder if it would cheaper on the long run to purchase a STAR clone so that one can force a regen at will

Don`t have to ruin the kitchen...lol

In the sixties we used to bung a potato up one end of the silencer and pour hot caustic soda in the other end and leave overnight .....if it didn`t get all the carbon dissolved or loosened it then went on a bonfire which finally did the trick.

BUT caustic soda is very dangerous stuff to use!:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom