Dpf explained

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Borys

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 cl500
Found this on other forum
Thought it will be handy

If all the OEMs gave concise, easily understood guidance about Diesel Particle Filters (DPFs) in their owner handbooks, a lot of this confusion and misinformation could be avoided.

Under normal driving conditions, and when the engine and exhaust are fully up to normal operating temperature, a certain amount of soot/particle burn-off will be occuring continuously.
This process is known as passive regeneration, and it relies purely on the catalytic material in the DPF. It will generally be more effective on cars that travel regular long distances at speed, because the exhaust will run at a higher temperature. The ECU makes no adjustments to enhance this process.
Although some burn-off is occurring continuously, there will be a net build up of soot in the filter over time. To deal with this build-up, periodic active regens are necessary. During active regens, the ECU makes adjustments to engine settings specifically designed to substantially raise the temperature in the dpf.

There are two types of active regen.
The first type of active regen will be triggered by the ECU when necessary, and when operating conditions are right for it to proceed. There will not be any explicit notice given to the driver. Although, it may be possible to infer that a regen is taking place from certain signs, e.g. rear demist active on the eco display, raised idle speed, cooling fans running at high speed etc. This type of regen will generally complete successfully in 4 - 10 minutes.
If you do become aware of this taking place, continue driving if it is possible and/or convenient. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

The second type of active regen is also triggered by the ECU when necessary, usually after several previous attempts using the first type have failed to complete. In this case, as well as adjusting the engine settings, the driver will be given an explicit warning in the form of a DIC message, a warning symbol or a code number. The actual type of warning that you see, will depend on the type/level of DIC fitted and/or the model year of the car.
If you do get a warning like this, you must continue driving, ideally at a constant speed and at an engine speed above 2000rpm. Higher rpm (2500 or so) in a lower gear will speed the process. But remember that you will still have to drive in a safe manner, obeying speed limits, traffic signs/lights etc. This type of regen will take from 10 - 20 minutes to complete.
If this process fails to complete, it will be tried again at the next opportunity. After 2 or 3 failed attempts, the ECU will put the car into service mode (limp mode), at which time it will need to be taken to a workshop for attention. A goodworkshop should check the engine for any mechanical or electronic issues that could make a regen fail or cause engine damage, before carrying out a forced regen.
A forced regen is exactly what it says. It has to be forced using diagnostic equipment, either on the road using portable equipment, or in a workshop.

Driving at a constant speed on a motorway in a lower gear will not trigger an active regen, unless the ECU has determined that a regen is actually necessary.

Not directly related, but... I am in Tokyo right now, and there are no Diesel cars here. At all. Which is odd. Also very quiet... the taxis drive on LPG I'm told.

On your way back, any chance you could pick something up in duty free, please?

I need a new fridge freezer.:D

my post won't post!

Last edited:
Very interesting read and makes me understand whats going on. On mine the stop start is disabled aswell which makes sense, wondered why that happened now I know why. Did check today when a regen was happening and the heated rear screen comes on for no reason, why is that.

Under normal driving conditions, and when the engine and exhaust are fully up to normal operating temperature, a certain amount of soot/particle burn-off will be occuring continuously.
This process is known as passive regeneration....

I don't know if this is common on other engines, but my wife has a VW Tiguan with their new EU6 engine (EA288) and on that engine in normal UK use the DPF gets nowhere near hot enough to passive regen.

Don't VW use the 'adblue' system which is a little different and also Merc Bluetec models where urea is added to the exhaust help break up the soot.

Don't VW use the 'adblue' system which is a little different and also Merc Bluetec models where urea is added to the exhaust help break up the soot.

AdBlue is to kill the NOx - that's what all the fuss is about on US cars, the limit is much tougher than Europe and VW cheated to avoid the cost of having to fit AD Blue systems on lower price cars.

Golf with the new engine doesn't have Ad Blue, but I think everything bigger does.

As far as I am aware all Eu6 cars have selective catalytic reduction fitted (adblue) a system that's been around years on ships and trains and given nothing but trouble. It's not perfected yet the Tiguan loaner I've just given back would need adblue every 1500 miles if you were doing a lot of motorway work and I believe BMW 4 series suffers the same.

Another reason I went to a petrol hybrid

As far as I am aware all Eu6 cars have selective catalytic reduction fitted (adblue) a system that's been around years on ships and trains and given nothing but trouble. It's not perfected yet the Tiguan loaner I've just given back would need adblue every 1500 miles if you were doing a lot of motorway work and I believe BMW 4 series suffers the same.

Smaller cars don't need the SCR (AdBlue) to meet EU regs, but it looks like VW may be in deep trouble meeting the tighter US regs on exisiting cars as it's not trivial to retrofit the SCR system - there's talk they may have to buy back 115,000 cars in the US.

Tiguan's not that bad on AdBlue use but VW do keep bumping up the usage figures - early on they said it would normally last between services. Another cheat in the US was on Audi's they turned it off for highyway driving so it lasted longer!

In the UK they're saying 1.5L per 620 miles. Tank holds 12L so should call for a refill around 4K. It's a pain that the refill is buried in the boot - annoying that they couldn't be bothered to bring it out to the fuel flap. Ad Blue is in more and more service stations now, and with a filler in the fuel flap it's no trouble and little cost to refill.

Smaller cars don't need the SCR (AdBlue) to meet EU regs, but it looks like VW may be in deep trouble meeting the tighter US regs on exisiting cars as it's not trivial to retrofit the SCR system - there's talk they may have to buy back 115,000 cars in the US.

Tiguan's not that bad on AdBlue use but VW do keep bumping up the usage figures - early on they said it would normally last between services. Another cheat in the US was on Audi's they turned it off for highyway driving so it lasted longer!

In the UK they're saying 1.5L per 620 miles. Tank holds 12L so should call for a refill around 4K. It's a pain that the refill is buried in the boot - annoying that they couldn't be bothered to bring it out to the fuel flap. Ad Blue is in more and more service stations now, and with a filler in the fuel flap it's no trouble and little cost to refill.

Sorry yeah not a very accurate post from me I was really talking about the bigger cars.

What a faff though all that toping up and scr kills performance. Still it will increase the sales of petrol models which are now on a par with diesels.

Below is the mpg on my commute home in a 300 bhp vw petrol hybrid

ForumRunner_20160211_123535.jpg

There is still one explanation needed about the dpf and it's the one that relates the diesel being dumped into the oil sump?

I had this on my previous car which the dealer informed me doesn't happen (oh really) but changed the oil and filter for me free of charge!!!!!

Needless to say they were very shifty about it

What a faff though all that toping up and scr kills performance.

I don't think the SCR kills performance. Indeed, as I understand it, the advantage of using it is it allows the engine to have higher compression ratios.

In other words, they could engineer a car that didn't need it, but its performance would be worse. This is where VW's cheating does benefit customers. OK, you might die from all the pollution, but in real world use everyone else's cars are just as bad, and in some cases worse.

There is still one explanation needed about the dpf and it's the one that relates the diesel being dumped into the oil sump?

I had this on my previous car which the dealer informed me doesn't happen (oh really) but changed the oil and filter for me free of charge!!!!!

Needless to say they were very shifty about it

I am concerned about that on Tiguan as it regens so much. VW say each regen uses oil, but in practice (in 2K miles) the level hasn't budged. At least the car has a dipstick, and the oil does still look and feel oily and not 100% deisel!

Mazda had a big issue with regens dumping deisel into there 2.2 engines causing the bearings to fail.

I don't think the SCR kills performance. Indeed, as I understand it, the advantage of using it is it allows the engine to have higher compression ratios.

In other words, they could engineer a car that didn't need it, but its performance would be worse. This is where VW's cheating does benefit customers. OK, you might die from all the pollution, but in real world use everyone else's cars are just as bad, and in some cases worse.

Yep I agree but what you gain on compression you lose on exhaust gas velocity decrease which is where the performance kill comes in. You have to slow the gas flow down to react with the injected urea solution to kill the Nox emissions.

Take the SCR off the 2.0 TDI VW engine and it develops 38 bhp more.

I've been involved in SCR since the mid 80's as the catalysts used are usually Base or precious metals which have to be processed to a certain spec. I developed a lot of the mineral processing techniques that allowed that spec to be possible.

Take the SCR off the 2.0 TDI VW engine and it develops 38 bhp more.

There's absolutely no way I could argue with you about that, but VW tweak the outputs over a wide range anyway depending on the application.

There's absolutely no way I could argue with you about that, but VW tweak the outputs over a wide range anyway depending on the application.

Yes they do that's true. I used to work with their Motorsport division when they came back into rallying. Some of the guys there were looking at a performance diesel thats how I know the figures but scr and other factors made it prohibitive so the GTD (no scr) was as hot as it got and the development all went on petrol and hybrid.

Watch out for their new 1.6 petrol a world beater low emission high efficiency engine and remember where you heard it first; -)

Watch out for their new 1.6 petrol a world beater low emission high efficiency engine and remember where you heard it first; -)

I think you mean 1.5? ;)

I am concerned about that on Tiguan as it regens so much. VW say each regen uses oil, but in practice (in 2K miles) the level hasn't budged. At least the car has a dipstick, and the oil does still look and feel oily and not 100% deisel!

Mazda had a big issue with regens dumping deisel into there 2.2 engines causing the bearings to fail.

Yep previous car was a Mazda, not just dpf issues but it had timing chain issues as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom