Dpf from Sprinter removed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

northernlad

Car
Mercedes e220 cabriolet , Vario 814, Sprinter 311,
My 2009 Sprinter started to lose power due to a blocked Dpf. So I decided to get rid of it. First step ŵas to have the Dpf software deleted from the ecu. Once this was done I took it to Simon at Spannerz in leeds who cut the dpf out from the exhaust and welded a new one in. The van runs a lot smoother without it, accelerates better and I have improved fuel economy, the engine no longer feels choked either. I was getting around 340 miles to a tank of diesel whilst fully loaded, this has improved to 390 miles, even though I am driving quicker. So happy days.

Well done
Would be nice for some one to create a nice exhaust set up with out dpf along with ecu update
Was on Chrysler 300c forum they have that on sale for them models

Further Improvements in Fuel Economy - now getting 420 Miles + on a full tank on the Sprinter - so glad than damn DPF is now gone !!

Isn't this going to cause you issues on next mot as in February 2014 if the vehicle had a dpf fitted from factory it must be present to pass mot. Would think any garage offering removal at the moment would be aware of this and advise not to do it .

Isn't this going to cause you issues on next mot as in February 2014 if the vehicle had a dpf fitted from factory it must be present to pass mot. Would think any garage offering removal at the moment would be aware of this and advise not to do it .

Yep, there has already been a note out to test stations on this.... :fail Pity all those that have paid and had it removed... the dealers must be sharpening their pencils for when it comes in, there will be a glut of orders!

I guess it depends on if its been completely removed, of left in place and the inside removed... if the former, they are going to spot it straight away.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

Last edited:
Yeah seems to me garages carrying this out are in effect ripping people off if they aren't advising people of the new legislation. I also hope you kept the dpf after all they sell it and make even more out of you.

Last edited:
Would love to remove the DPF from my Sprinter, but due to the new MOT regs that's not going to happen now. :mad:

Not sure of cost but I'm guessing with sensors etc could be almost 1k to have a dpf replaced for mot purposes.

Would love to remove the DPF from my Sprinter, but due to the new MOT regs that's not going to happen now. :mad:

It looks like the mot test regs will possibly be only a 'visual' check that there is a dpf fitted, therefore, nothing to stop the software deletion and having the dpf 'gutted', the result being that as far as the mot test is concerned, the dpf is still fitted.

Well spoke to one of the guys involved in mot testing for all the cabs in my area and he says that he's been told if they see an unusual weld on the cat/Dpf then they need to make sure it isn't gutted if it is they have to fail it. Maybe stricter for cabs or just a local authority thing but I'm guessing if they see something amiss they can fail you if they want .

Its not going to be difficult to get something that looks like a dpf, in two halfs that can be welded on the pipe in the oe location! so the pipe doesn't have to be cut.

Isn't the point here also going to be that from February 2014 you will no longer be able to have the ecu reprogrammed for a removed dpf as this will be breaking the law. Well not by e reputable garage anyway.

It also looks like VOSA are looking at things like temperature differential... I.E. no DPF in there, minimal differential, if there is a DPF, then the differential will be greater. Easy to check with a cheap Infrared thermometer....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom