DPF regeneration over OBD - 2015 E220 BlueTEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

humzaahmed155

Car
E220 BlueTEC SE 2015
Hey guys,

Right. So on saturday I dedicated the entire day to giving the car some boot down the M11 to perform a passive regen on the DPF. All was going well till the 100MPH mark when I got the check engine light and the car immediately went into limp mode.

I later checked the codes and got ones relating to the MAF, the TCM (explains the poor shifting in limp mode) and one regarding the DPF being full of soot.

Well I need to perform an active regen using the car's ECU, however every tool I use can't seem to gauge DPF information from this car.. for reference I tried my mates 2010 E200 CDI and it all worked perfectly. I'm using a LAUNCH CRP Touch diagnostics scanner for the in-built DPF tools, and I've got another OBD scanner for looking at data from my phone etc.

Nothing on the internet as far as I know can explain why I'm locked out of DPF monitors/tools on this year model E220. Surely there's a reason?

Cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181208-184704.jpg
    Screenshot_20181208-184704.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 28
Think u better delete this. Confessing to a bannable speeding offence lol

Hey guys,

Right. So on saturday I dedicated the entire day to giving the car some boot down the M11 to perform a passive regen on the DPF. All was going well till the 100MPH mark when I got the check engine light and the car immediately went into limp mode.

I later checked the codes and got ones relating to the MAF, the TCM (explains the poor shifting in limp mode) and one regarding the DPF being full of soot.

Well I need to perform an active regen using the car's ECU, however every tool I use can't seem to gauge DPF information from this car.. for reference I tried my mates 2010 E200 CDI and it all worked perfectly. I'm using a LAUNCH CRP Touch diagnostics scanner for the in-built DPF tools, and I've got another OBD scanner for looking at data from my phone etc.

Nothing on the internet as far as I know can explain why I'm locked out of DPF monitors/tools on this year model E220. Surely there's a reason?

Cheers.

Hey guys,

Cheers.

The first big mistake you made was thinking that you needed to thrash the car down the motorway to initiate a passive regen. The second big mistake was actually doing it and the third big mistake was coming on to this site after the event rather than before it.

These cars do not need speed to initiate a passive regen. They do it automatically every couple of hundred miles without you even knowing it.
If there are problems with the DPF not doing a passive regen it may be caused by duff sensors or perhaps your engine is not getting up to proper temperature. Also check to see if you are using the correct oil. A low ash oil.

Finally the dpf will show a full level every couple of hundred miles. This is normal and may have just one or two grammes of soot.
Your gearbox will not shift through the full range when the car is in limp mode and most likely there is no problem in your TCM other than it needs the limp mode code cleared before it allows the gearbox to perform again.

Finally, finally the icarsoft obd scanner should work on your car, if you cannot get one of those you should get it put on STAR.

Apparently, the thinking now is that you should NOT boot the living daylights out of the engine to trigger a regen in a Merc. It should be left to its own devices, and it will do all the re-genning it needs. I know that for other and older makes of DPF equipped vehicles, running @ min 2000 RPM for 20 mins was the accepted was to regen.

Yeah thrashing it to try instigate a regen is really dodgy territory. No need.

Apparently, the thinking now is that you should NOT boot the living daylights out of the engine to trigger a regen in a Merc. It should be left to its own devices, and it will do all the re-genning it needs. I know that for other and older makes of DPF equipped vehicles, running @ min 2000 RPM for 20 mins was the accepted was to regen.

Don't you just love the simplicity of a diesel engine :rolleyes:

Rudolf Christian Karl Diesel must be spinning in his watery grave at the bottom of the North sea when he sees what they have done with his invention.

Don't you just love the simplicity of a diesel engine :rolleyes:

Rudolf Christian Karl Diesel must be spinning in his watery grave at the bottom of the North sea when he sees what they have done with his invention.
As a young lad I had a summer job in a garage that delivered new tractors to customers (mostly farmers).

The tractors came with a key, that operated the starter motor, in the same way it does in a car.

But if you push-started the tractor (by pulling it with another tractor), the engine would start and you could drive it all day long... without a key.

The simplicity of Diesel engines with mechanical fuel pump.... no electrics - let alone electronics - required.

PS - there was just one type of key for each tractor brand - i.e. the keys were all identical.

Yes markjay..... I remember those days too !!! Because they fired on compression, no need for fancy electrics, once the engine was turned, it fired and off you go !!! LOL... Had to turn off the fuel to stop the engine. Looking back on it, they were indeed very simple compared to today's engines.

A bit like the magneto (lucas k2fc iirc) on my old ‘59 Thunderbird.
A wire to a cutout (horn) button that shortred the low tension side to earth was all that was needed.

Yes markjay..... I remember those days too !!! Because they fired on compression, no need for fancy electrics, once the engine was turned, it fired and off you go !!! LOL... Had to turn off the fuel to stop the engine. Looking back on it, they were indeed very simple compared to today's engines.

Yes - there was a horseshoe shaped lever next to the fuel pump, pulling it forward stopped the fuel flow, you had to keep it pulled until the engine died-out.

Icarsoft MB v2 doesn't fully support this car model for regen. Also you might be locked out because your bed a middle firmware update via star. I managed it with Icarsoft eventually but you have 2 more error codes than I [emoji16]

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

I was locked out of a 14 plate E350 bluetec the other day . Well not sure if locked out or a critical fault stopped it. Wouldnt let me do it with a fully licensed delphi. Adblue fault with mileage countdown not resetting after the customer filled up the tank. Was a reageant (think that was the word) quality error along with a few others to do with adblue and nox sensors. A re-adaptation of the adblue metering sensor and also a DPF regen was a no go. kicked me out every time. Mercedes were actually very very helpful with regards to the problem via a phonecall so it was referred on for a full STAR diagnostic. Sorry for gatecrashing post but the mention of being locked out of a calibration/adaptation process is something Ive never came across with mercedes or bmws until this adblue fault car. Thought ide chuck it in here. Hope u dont mind.

Icarsoft MB v2 doesn't fully support this car model for regen. Also you might be locked out because your bed a middle firmware update via star. I managed it with Icarsoft eventually but you have 2 more error codes than I [emoji16]

No I don't mind, we post here to help others and I am not a mechanic, just sharing my experiences based on the three mercs I can play with

Basically, All contributions gratefully received !!!:D:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom