DPF Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shadow81

Car
2007 C220 CDI Elegance (W204)
Hi all,

I have been reading up on re-maps, DPF removal etc...

Does anyone have any first hand experience of having DPF removed? All of the tuning websites say it's safe, improves performance AND mpg... does not increase emissions to MOT failure levels etc... but then again, they would wouldn't they?! They are not going to make a service they offer look negative!

I cannot seem to find any personal opinions on this specific to Mercs (namely W204s) anywhere. My Pug that I got rid of recently only had 57k miles and the DPF was screwed on that, was running in LIMP mode etc... and the cost was £773 to replace and refuel DPF. I imagine with a Merc that cost will be much more - so something I can have done for a couple of hundred quid that can prevent any of this, and offer better performance and economy is obviously very appealling - IF it is for real and does not lead to other issues (shortened lifespan, worse future problems etc...).

Any advice on the matter is much appreciated! Cheers guys!

Just take it for a long run once a week to get the engine and exhaust really hot to allow the DPF to regenerate and you will be fine. Simplest and probably cheapest solution in the long run. AND make sure to check when the car is serviced that the correct low SPAsh engine oil is used.that's MB 229.31 or MB 229.51

Thanks, but the improved mpg and the slight increase in performance also tickles my pickle... particularly the mpg... but I dont want to sacrifice anything (except the one-off fee) in order to get it. If it really does what it says on the tin then Id like it done - but if there are any "hidden" concequences that they don't inform you of, then I would just do what you suggested :)

Shadow, how does your driving patterns look like?
Is the dpf a real pain, or do you get to third stge in any occasions? Have you actually calculated how much fuel you actually loose driving your car when you trying to regenerate?
If I didn't traded my Audi in I would defo gone for dpf removal.
I know many that has taken it out and there has been no impact only improvements and less fuel consumption as you do not need to regenerate.

Given the choice I would lose the DPF. You will get all the gains and not oil dilution as well.

Hi

If re-gen don't work, then get it removed, you will get around 35 bhp more and more economy , The whole cost will be around 350-400 pounds , when the dfp is removed the car will smoke a tiny bit more then usual

Acid

You can buy a used dfp for around 250 and will cost around 40-50 labour.

:)

Thanks for the replies everyone - well the car was driven to me (about 260 miles) and the TRIP computer said it averaged around 47.9MPG - I have had it for 5 days, and it is mostly town driving, in traffic - and get an average of 29~MPG.

I dont know what stage 3 is I'm afraid?! I just dont want to end up with the same sluggish, out-of-time, chuggy engine feel the Peugeot gave me... Throttle response was crap and it felt like all the timings were off, and it was very 'jerky' and 'jumpy' in every gear at low-mid revs.

How much more smoke will there be? A noticeable amount?

Sorry for all the questions, I am far from mechanically-minded! :/

Oh, and I dont drive hard and aggressively.. I drive like I would like to be driven by a chauffer! lol! So my driving should be pretty economical - only foot-to-floor on slip roads (I am looking after my first Merc! It is my baby)!! lol

Hey

I have done loads of cars , yesterday we done BMW 535 , as the filter is removed it will smoke a little bit more then normal but you may not even notice it but I am trying to be honest in what you may expect.

Acid

Well i am swaying in the direction of wanting it... But can be done with a swap out rather than a weld? So that it is easily reversible, coding and all should i ever want to fit it for selling or in case im not fond of the smoke? Thanks...

And brabus, where are you based?

I'm based in Birmingham if you want to more advise you can call me in the morning if you like as you can't pm at the moment, 07765 444447

Acid

The exhaust emissions standards for new cars have effectively required fitment of a DPF in the exhaust of diesel cars since 2009 when the 'Euro 5' standard came into force. In fact, many cars registered before 2009 will have had one fitted too in anticipation of the change in standards. there is a further reduction anticipated in 2014 = Euro6 At present there is no regulatory inspection e.g. MOT test for particulates preventing the removal of a car's DPF but that could be removed at a stroke if the government becomes aware of a large number of cars running around with them removed. Technically they would be breaking European "type approval " regs as it is. All that would be required is more rigorous enforcement of same. :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom